• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

ZeDestructor

I looked at the RME, it's a bit pricey for me, plus I'm trying to utilize a Logitech remote & the RME is not on the Logitech list of vendors/manufacturers that is supported.
The DX7 pro would fit my needs better as it is on the Logitech supported list, & the cost is less than the RME.
You can train the Logitech remote, so that's not an issue. Price-wise it's a bit steep, yes, but you get a bunch of stuff the dx7pro doesn't have, like on-board dsp/eq and relay volume control. You also originally mentioned the A90/D90 combo, which are much more comparable to the adi2 dac (not the adi2 or adi2 Pro, my bad on that)

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
I looked at the RME, it's a bit pricey for me, plus I'm trying to utilize a Logitech remote & the RME is not on the Logitech list of vendors/manufacturers that is supported.
???

I use my ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC with an old Harmony One and 350.

I really like the industrial design of this unit both in terms of aesthetics and avoiding elements that needlessly increase cost. Compared to this, many items which employ a similar level of technical prowess at reasonable prices appear "busy", while using case elements which are similar or even more involved process-wise. As @amirm stated, the "serious" look is an important part of overall quality and really precludes e.g. multiple rounds of [lathe] turning for various anodized pot dials to add bling (I'm looking at you, S.M.S.L).

Last edited:
In the interest of keeping this forum related to the 789 this will be my last post about other equipment.
As I’m fairly new here I am not sure if there is a more appropriate forum to post about various other equipment, I will explore further when I have the chance.
You can train the Logitech remote, so that's not an issue. Price-wise it's a bit steep, yes, but you get a bunch of stuff the dx7pro doesn't have, like on-board dsp/eq and relay volume control. You also originally mentioned the A90/D90 combo, which are much more comparable to the adi2 dac (not the adi2 or adi2 Pro, my bad on that)
??? I use my ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC with an old Harmony One and 350.
I do appreciate all the advise, & will take the RME ADI-2 in consideration as I am looking at the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro which is a bit more than I want to go & maybe overkill for my needs.
I have a Logitech 665 that I have tried several times to program for my Swan M300 with poor results.
The volume adjustment does not work correctly & the mute does not work at all unless I go to the device directly which is a pain to get to & have to press several other commands to be able to control the device correctly.
So my search continues, I am in no rush & as such a HP is not really needed or required, if it is I can connect to my TV via BT as not to disturb the household, as again this is for the family room where movies and music are the main stay.

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Nice, is this still a viable AMP for the price these days? Amazon has it for 320 prime shipping so no need to go through Drop.
Currently have a Topping A50 and am using balanced but I feel I want a little more power.
At that price point 789 is a beast, powerful and low distortion. You can also wait for the A50s that's internally completely redesigned for class leading performance.

dreadknot

Forum Donor
is the 6watt output constaint in balanced mode for the DROP + THX AAA™ 789 LINEAR AMPLIFIER or is it less at lower gains to anyone who knows what the power level output is at Gain: 0.66x , 2.0x i want to give my m570 cans sound good power an sound

but not blow them out i plan to put a Peavey PV215EQ Graphic Equalizer between it an my DROP + GRACE DESIGN STANDARD DAC BALANCED i really hate pc software eq's just never quite right for me

but please if anyone who knows what the power level output is at Gain: 0.66x , 2.0x at 32ohms let me know it will be helpful in my decision making for buying this amp

I ordered an Element II not thinking I would really care about Balanced XLR, but while I am waiting for it I have been wondering if that was maybe poor judgement on my part. AAA 789 was my other choice with a Modius when I was deciding. Will I really miss anything when my music library is like 90% AAC iTUnes matched files and 10% Loss Less. Headphones are 660s.

Veri

Major Contributor
Headphones are 660s.
660s are really not very demanding headphones, slightly less power needy than the 650/600 even. The Element will more than suffice. Balanced XLR interconnects are handy when connecting devices for noise immunity, since the Element is an all-in-one you have no real need for balanced, whatsoever. Balanced headphone cables (so not interconnects) require a balanced wiring on the headphone and can provide more power (at a slight cost in increase noise due to dual amplifiers). But JDS labs have never made an amp with balanced output. Probably they don't believe it improves anything, cfr. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
Since you don't need the extra power I think you made a good decision. Don't worry ;)

660s are really not very demanding headphones, slightly less power needy than the 650/600 even. The Element will more than suffice. Balanced XLR interconnects are handy when connecting devices for noise immunity, since the Element is an all-in-one you have no real need for balanced, whatsoever. Balanced headphone cables (so not interconnects) require a balanced wiring on the headphone and can provide more power (at a slight cost in increase noise due to dual amplifiers). But JDS labs have never made an amp with balanced output. Probably they don't believe it improves anything, cfr. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
Since you don't need the extra power I think you made a good decision. Don't worry ;)
Thanks for that link to read and advice. My only previous experience had been moving some Yamaha speakers to XLR years ago as where I was living I had some terrible issues with power which seemed to go away moving to XLR and a Furman power conditioner. Not sure which did the trick so I kinda was regretting not going XLR for the amp in this case.

this may be a dumb question, with a balanced cable that has a 1/4" connector vs a balanced cable that has a XLR connector, does it make any difference on the volume, if one is going in the XLR plug and one is going into the 1/4" plug?

asking because the newer version of the HD800s has a balance cable with 1/4" connector.

Thanks.

Veri

Major Contributor
asking because the newer version of the HD800s has a balance cable with 1/4" connector.
There's an included balanced 4.4mm Pentacon cable. The 4-pin XLR Cable is an optional accessory.
1/4" TRS is inherently unbalanced.

bboris77

There's an included balanced 4.4mm Pentacon cable. The 4-pin XLR Cable is an optional accessory.
Sennheiser really should be including a 4.4mm to XLR adapter cable as well for comparability with the other 90% of amplifiers. These adapters are available but not widely. I’m looking for one for my hd800s in Canada.

Veri

Major Contributor
Sennheiser really should be including a 4.4mm to XLR adapter cable as well for comparability with the other 90% of amplifiers. These adapters are available but not widely. I’m looking for one for my hd800s in Canada.
I used this (back then there were not many around)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078SS9WLT/ ships from China so not sure how customs handle that in Canada? Cable works reliably for me. Amazon has similar products just read the reviews.

Ha funny I read the manual wrong...somehow I thought the 6.35mm was the balanced cable...
This solve the problem I think, i will just get a 4 pin XLR adaptor..

odyo

Top Bottom