• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

martin900

I know that ASR is a forum for people who claim a $50 dollar amp sounds the same as $50.000 if they measure the same, sorry to share my experience with the 789 then...

Viper Necklampy

Yes, I'm 100% serious, I don't like the 789. The SP200 is much cleaner on the midrange. I've even matched the levels and only turned the amps off to swap the interconnects.
Maybe with brighter headphones the 789 would do, but the K712 not really.

+
I just found this guy's comparison and his experience with the 789 vs SP200 is bang on.
https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/he...x-789-vs-benchmark-hpa4-battle-of-the-thx-es/
I just found that guy hilariously a joke. Thx aaa 789 is just another league vs Sp200, even and most particularly in midrange. I Read his review even of M500 and it was nothing like that, compared to D50 he also reviewed. Just see his D70 and D90 review. He just prays them to sell them, just.. I hate it.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Listen, the fact that you didn't use a switch box and had to physically replace the interconnects to compare between the amps invalidates that comparison. On top of that, it was probably wasn't blind to begin with. As long as you understand that your said experience with the 789 is completely subjective, you can say whatever you want. But these measurements prove that the amp has no sound signature of it's own, so this "veiling" and "cloudiness" is in your head.

Viper Necklampy

I've listed the 789 for sale if someone's interested.
Meanwhile, i suggest you to compare them very well in these 7 days :)
Maybe, the new drop version sound worse? Touchè! We need someone to compare the new version with the old, possibly absolutely not someone like Z review or that reviewer guy.
I've also tried it with AKG K712 i owned until few ago.
I mean, they for sure sound diverse, like, maybe no veil and complete trasparency with a good enough dac but, yes, the way they present sound is not the same, but THX aaa 789 is way better to me, the details, INSTRUMENTS, voices, musicality also, soundstage, holographic IMAGING!!, Background trasparency, all in favour of 789, It's Jusss'.. Sp200 have more dynamics? All i find is it just blow you volume and some bass on those dynamics, i find 789 has the better dynamics with that, anyway.. I have the hype has been up for Sp200 while it sound not that good (To me, even if i don't have it but i had few days ago) hope a guy with actual ears like Currawong tear down the hype a little bit with his review.. Today i'll go to a guy to test hd800 and my old he1000V2, he has Sp200, and bring my thx aaa 789 and see what he thinks also :)

Last edited:

martin900

I am but still, I can't get myself to like the 789 for that midrange. I wonder what your mate will say about the SP and the 789.

Celty

I just found that guy hilariously a joke. Thx aaa 789 is just another league vs Sp200, even and most particularly in midrange. I Read his review even of M500 and it was nothing like that, compared to D50 he also reviewed. Just see his D70 and D90 review. He just prays them to sell them, just.. I hate it.
Meanwhile, i suggest you to compare them very well in these 7 days :)
Maybe, the new drop version sound worse? Touchè! We need someone to compare the new version with the old, possibly absolutely not someone like Z review or that reviewer guy.
I've also tried it with AKG K712 i owned until few ago.
I mean, they for sure sound diverse, like, maybe no veil and complete trasparency with a good enough dac but, yes, the way they present sound is not the same, but THX aaa 789 is way better to me, the details, INSTRUMENTS, voices, musicality also, soundstage, holographic IMAGING!!, Background trasparency, all in favour of 789, It's Jusss'.. Sp200 have more dynamics? All i find is it just blow you volume and some bass on those dynamics, i find 789 has the better dynamics with that, anyway.. I have the hype has been up for Sp200 while it sound not that good (To me, even if i don't have it but i had few days ago) hope a guy with actual ears like Currawong tear down the hype a little bit with his review.. Today i'll go to a guy to test hd800 and my old he1000V2, he has Sp200, and bring my thx aaa 789 and see what he thinks also :)
I have the Monolith 887 rather than the 789, but close enough I think. I have to agree, these amps are nothing if not clear and uncolored, if someone hears a veil, it may be something they are wearing on their head (no not literally a veil, but their headphones :) ). My HD6XX is a great headphone, and had I not listened to my ZMF Auteurs with the same setup (even down to the same cable brand) I would have thought the HD6XX was a fairly transparent model.

martin900

It's funny how opinions can differ, I've had the 600 and 660S and they also were too warm but not really veiled no but they certainly have a very distinct, lush sound of their own. Extremely pleasing but not my cuppa tea in the long run.
I'm used to ice cold studio monitor sound and pick any added thickness right away, that's why I found AKG a good balancing point between Senn HD6xx series and Beyerdynamic DT8/9xx series, the Beyers were too tiring :)

Viper Necklampy

I have the Monolith 887 rather than the 789, but close enough I think. I have to agree, these amps are nothing if not clear and uncolored, if someone hears a veil, it may be something they are wearing on their head (no not literally a veil, but their headphones :) ). My HD6XX is a great headphone, and had I not listened to my ZMF Auteurs with the same setup (even down to the same cable brand) I would have thought the HD6XX was a fairly transparent model.
Yes, them amp are clear and uncolored, no veil at all. But the sound characteristic between sp200 and thx aaa 789 and the way they present sound to me is defenately different, Tonality i must say. Don't know how it sound the 887, maybe you can order sp200 via amazon and tell it out if you want :)

Celty

Yes, them amp are clear and uncolored, no veil at all. But the sound characteristic between sp200 and thx aaa 789 and the way they present sound to me is defenately different, Tonality i must say. Don't know how it sound the 887, maybe you can order sp200 via amazon and tell it out if you want :)
LOL, beyond the 887 and Loxjie P20 that I already have, and a Glenn OTL on order, I don't think I want another amp.

Celty

One could argue 3 amps is already 2 too many :D
Ha, well right on that, though I justified adding the Loxjie as a very low cost stopgap till the Glenn arrives - probably a long way off with his build demand. And the P20 will make a nice little bedroom amp. And I really need a great tube amp, hence the esteemed Glenn... and the 887 is the polar opposite with it's totally clean SS approach..

See how easily I rationalize? ;)

Viper Necklampy

Finally fonud a match for the 789 - HD800S!
So, you changed idea, and don't sold it?
Btw, the guy was convinced they sound the same, before listening and after 5-10minutes only comparison, but of course it needed at least 30-60 minutes to see how they would compare. But he did agree that sp200 in comparison was a little Ssibilant.

martin900

Yes, the SP-200 has much more accentuated treble.
I haven't sold it yet as there was little interest.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I call bullshit on this :rolleyes: it has a lot of gain, very easy to confuse loud volume and "painful treble".
These THX amps are dead flat.

Its also dependent on context of comparison.
i) Compared to what amp?
ii) Using what headphone ?
iii) Were SPL matched ??

All these can create a perceived difference. Classic example would be the HD800 listened at 72db versus listened at 84db. Bass frequency response supposedly changes between these SPL settings. With it, perecived treble response too.

Top Bottom