• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sorry we dont have those curves for 8 Ohms. But like all AAA, distortion remains extremely low even at high current. Peak current is approx 0.9Apk before protection invokes.
Also beware the limitations on driving low impedance like this. See the owners manual.

Thanks Andrew.

Is it safe to say the single ended headphone output can deliver 0.5A easily into 8 ohms planar magnetic headphones, with ultra low distortion (<<<0.1% THD)?

That's 2 Watts but it's the high current output (up to 0.5A) into 8 ohms low impedance I'm interested in, with ultra low distortion (<<<0.1% THD).

Last edited:

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
Thanks Andrew.

Is it safe to say the single ended headphone output can deliver 0.5A easily into 8 ohms planar magnetic headphones, with ultra low distortion (<<<0.1% THD)?

That's 2 Watts but it's the high current output (up to 0.5A) into 8 ohms low impedance I'm interested in, with ultra low distortion (<<<0.1% THD).
Yes should be fine, and yes ultra low distortion.

Last edited:

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@AndrewMason , just out of curiosity, if I drive two headphones from the SE outputs on the 789 together, will it create any problem? How about the extreme case, driving three headphones together (one balanced output plus two SE outputs)?

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
@AndrewMason , just out of curiosity, if I drive two headphones from the SE outputs on the 789 together, will it create any problem? How about the extreme case, driving three headphones together (one balanced output plus two SE outputs)?
It's ok so long as a) the headphones have combined parallel impedance higher than the minimum impedance that the 789 is rated for, and b) you dont blow up your headphones (ie don't overdrive IEMs by accident while listening to parallel headphones with high voltage .)

mi-fu

Forum Donor
It's ok so long as a) the headphones have combined parallel impedance higher than the minimum impedance that the 789 is rated for, and b) you dont blow up your headphones (ie don't overdrive IEMs by accident while listening to parallel headphones with high voltage .)

Got it! Thanks, @AndrewMason !

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
@AndrewMason - combined as in parallel resistance calculations 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, or series Rt = R1 + R2 + R3... makes a big difference, particularly if the impedances involved are low...

Tup3x

How's the channel crosstalk? I assume it's good, especially when using balanced but I do wonder if that's the weakest point when using single ended output.

Gotta say that I really like the idea of <1x gain options. That makes life much easier with powerful DACs.

AresHarvest

@AndrewMason - combined as in parallel resistance calculations 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, or series Rt = R1 + R2 + R3... makes a big difference, particularly if the impedances involved are low...

Just want to point out he was explicit in saying parallel. "the headphones have combined parallel impedance higher than..." (emphasis mine)

AndrewMason

Technical Expert
Yes, all the headphones will load the power amps in parallel. Not series.
1543859959526.png

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Just want to point out he was explicit in saying parallel. "the headphones have combined parallel impedance higher than..." (emphasis mine)
Yeah, I saw that. Just not sure if everyone has done the math. Very small effective load will resut in many cases, possibly violating the spec.

Roen

Sorry, what is that minimum impedance that the 789 is rated for?

mi-fu

Forum Donor
btw, just looked at the massdrop page, there are only 18 units left. :eek:

Veri

Master Contributor
btw, just looked at the massdrop page, there are only 18 units left. :eek:
Hope that's not true God effin damn it,
I am still post-poning my purchasing it :p

L-Train

Hi all, I just wanted to give an update regarding the crosstalk at the lowest gain. It occurred to me, since I had to put the volume control at 4 o'clock in the test that had the crosstalk issue, perhaps it's the potentiometer that's causing it. So I did another test, this time with gain setting "2", with 20 dBu input and the volume set to 1-2 o'clock to reach 6 dBV output, and I get a similar, albeit lower, increase in crosstalk!

So it looks like the increase in crosstalk is caused by the potentiometer (and varies with the position of the potentiometer), and not the gain setting.

Crosstalk (gain 2, volume 1-2 oclock, 20 dBu input, 6 dBV output).png

Top Bottom