• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Juhazi

Just made a preorder of Monoprice AK/THX dac-amp https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=24459&seq=1&format=2&res=1
Hope that they will deliver to Finland, Europe.... Amazon.de is another supplier of Monoprice products, but this gadget is not on the list.
This will replace my Audio-GD NFB-12 with dual Wolfsons.
Got a message, "we don't deliver to Finland"

So it goes for me. But I'll keep my eye on these desktop AK/AAA combos in Europe!

maxxevv

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check if you have proxy shipping / forwarding services for Finland that have an office in the US.
They are very handy for such things.

Jorj

Patreon Donor
Joined the drop. I believe that this little black box will be the final word on my desktop rig for a LONG time to come. Unbelievable how well it measures. Anyone want a JDS Element? :)

edit:

I guess I do need a budget SOTA balanced DAC to pair it with, since I already have the DX7s and I'm not a fan of the IMD hump the ESS implementations of late have been showing.

Last edited:

Schackmannen

Patreon Donor
I couldn't find any information about it in the spec sheet (unless I'm blind) but what's the maximum accepted input voltage into the balanced inputs? Could it handle the max output from the ADI-2 DAC's balanced outputs?

Juhazi

About the Monoprice dac-amp - I became too concerned about the quality of many other Mp products tested, lost my interest this time! Massdrop products looks like higher quality.And, I am very happy with my current Audio-Gd and I listen to it many times in a year with AKG K-601! I prefer speakers, HP is only for those late hour listening sessions that are very rare at my age!

Roen

Joined the drop. I believe that this little black box will be the final word on my desktop rig for a LONG time to come. Unbelievable how well it measures. Anyone want a JDS Element? :)

edit:

I guess I do need a budget SOTA balanced DAC to pair it with, since I already have the DX7s and I'm not a fan of the IMD hump the ESS implementations of late have been showing.
I JUST bought a JDS O2. Good thing I had batteries installed in it, it'll now be exclusively portable duty while this takes up desktop duty.

I couldn't find any information about it in the spec sheet (unless I'm blind) but what's the maximum accepted input voltage into the balanced inputs? Could it handle the max output from the ADI-2 DAC's balanced outputs?
I don't think it needs to. Usually, XLR outputs on DACs are rated at 4V. You can simply use a clean +13db ref revel to almost approach this (3,46V). The THX seems to have plenty of power. I do think it would need to be feed louder.

Last edited:

Roen

This amp isn't fully differential right?

I could connect balanced input -> SE out and SE in -> balanced out right?

I don't need balanced in -> balanced out and SE in -> SE out (forgetting passthrough for a moment)

BurritoJustice

Patreon Donor
Maximum input level is just over +19dBu, but you cannot use the third gain setting. If you want to use the high gain then I believe it can be no higher than about +9dBu. If you check the massdrop thread for posts by the THX engineer he goes further in depth.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

andymok

I don't think it needs to. Usually, XLR outputs on DACs are rated at 4V. You can simply use a clean +13db ref revel to almost approach this (3,46V). The THX seems to have plenty of power. I do think it would need to be feed louder.
They mentioned somewhere in the comments, says around +18/19dBu I believe

Top Bottom