• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Grace SDAC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Massdrop Grace Design budget DAC. I reviewed it when it first came out but it was with my old audio analyzer so it was requested I measure it again. As it happens, two members kindly sent the SDAC in at the same time! When available the SDAC costs US $70.

The SDAC as minimalistic as you can get:

Grace Design SDAC Audio Review.jpg
The back panel follows the same theme:
Grace Design SDAC back panel Audio Review.jpg

Micro-USB input and RCA plus 3.5 mm output finish the story. This suits me fine because there is less to test. :D

DAC Audio Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:
Grace Design SDAC Audio Measurements.png

The output is a healthy 2.2 volt which is nice (nominal is 2 volt). What is not so good is the THD+N and hence SINAD (signal over noise and distortion). At an average of 98 dB, while not broken, is not impressive in this day and age:
Best Audio DACs Reviewed 2019.png

Third-quartile finish is disappointing. The recently reviewed drop balanced SDAC had a SINAD of 102, allowing it to sneak into second quartile.

Intermodulation distortion shows good behavior but with somewhat higher noise level & distortion than one of our best DACs:

Grace Design SDAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

Dynamic range is more than good enough for 16 bit audio playback:
Grace Design SDAC Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

Jitter is very well under control:

Grace Design SDAC Jitter Audio Measurements.png

Frequency response is likewise ruler flat:
Grace Design SDAC Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

32-tone intermodulation test shows good performance:
Grace Design SDAC Multitone Audio Measurements.png

We have about 110 dB of distortion free range.

Linearity is just shy of perfect:
Grace Design SDAC Linearity Audio Measurements.png

THD+N versus frequency shows elevated levels but that is due to a pesky 50 kHz ultrasonic tone which sets the lower limit of THD+N:
Grace Design SDAC THD vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png

Conclusions
The Massdrop Grace Design SDAC is competently designed. The target performance though was set rather low by our standards so it is not something that is too exciting. The Topping D10 does a lot better and has a nice display and S/PDIF output to boot. If for some reason you like to buy the SDAC, that would be fine. I just can't put it on my recommended list anymore.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

The pink panthers are claiming their painted color is a female one and are demanding that they be changed to blue to reflect their sex! I know, it is not a politically correct position for them to take but one learns not to argue with animals with large fangs! Glossy porcelain paint doesn't come cheap so please donate generously using:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Svperstar

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is definitely better than than the multibit. If you want to stay with Schiit, Modi 3 is very good. If you want to go higher in price, then the new Topping D50s is excellent.

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
I really prefer my SDAC over my Modi Multibit, I'm wondering what a good upgrade would be. I kinda wanna get the SMLS V1 lol
https://drop.com/buy/smsl-vmv-d1-dac

Most likely, you already hit transparency and you won't be able to hear differences WRT the SDAC if you upgrade. From MM to SDAC, that was a huge improvement, going forward anything else will be a much, much smaller improvement

Hemi-Demon

I really prefer my SDAC over my Modi Multibit, I'm wondering what a good upgrade would be. I kinda wanna get the SMLS V1 lol

You save some cash and buy mine used:p, I bought it a year ago, when they were first released. Make me an offer by pm

Amirm, your review output, the last two weeks is just AMAZING!! How in the world do you find time to sleep. This forum is amazing

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amirm, your review output, the last two weeks is just AMAZING!! How in the world do you find time to sleep. This forum is amazing
It is not by choice. I am getting beat to a pulp to review gear that has been sitting here close to three months. :) The little vacation and summer chores have slowed me down a lot....

Svperstar

You save some cash and buy mine used:p, I bought it a year ago, when they were first released. Make me an offer by pm

Why are you selling it?

AndrewDavis

It is not by choice. I am getting beat to a pulp to review gear that has been sitting here close to three months. :) The little vacation and summer chores have slowed me down a lot....

As much as I appreciate the near constant flow ox expert analysis, I concur with the others. Don't burn yourself out! We're in this for the long haul!!

Tatteredmidnight

Disappointing results. I owned one of these for a short time, but experienced connectivity problems and sent it back. I’m went back to using my SMSL M8, which gets quite warm, and suffers severe screen burn in, but performs flawlessly. I also got a refund on the device through Americanexpress for the full price while getting to keep the unit. Due to some amazon shenanigans, I had received a discount for the initial purchase applied to another order, meaning in the end, I had a functional dac (aside from a burned in screen), and got more money back than I spent on it by a significant amount.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If it's really sickness, than treat yourself for Christmas with an Element X. :cool:

Note: Sorry, couldn't help myself, I'm sick too, but my wife takes care of my money. :confused:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
That isn't surprising considering how bad the performance of the Modi Multibit is.
But there are plenty of other DAC's that will outperform this one.... although the audible difference might be much harder to discern.

Top Bottom