• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of MARCH audio dac1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Time again for the "horse is dead, now let's beat the cow" post...

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Not really. Say Khardas uses caps from Nichi.. that's using a part. The manufacturer designed the porting, put effort into a design. You took a whole speakerbox and put it in another box. You made an aluminum box with standoffs and put a Khardas board into it.

envyjealousy.gif

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Now can we finally address the real elephant in the room?

The static logo that takes up too much room on March Audio's otherwise beautiful website.

It is a great logo but having it not scroll away leaves much less room to see the actual product information. I'd have it scroll away and a small version stay in the top menu bar.

But then again, I just became the person I hate, the "you should change your site because I say so" person. So I apologize.
I actually think you are right, it's good feedback. I will update it later today.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Not really. Say Khardas uses caps from Nichi.. that's using a part. The manufacturer designed the porting, put effort into a design. You took a whole speakerbox and put it in another box. You made an aluminum box with standoffs and put a Khardas board into it.
Have you ever used a 3D design package and liaised with a manufacturer to get it produced? Thought not. Oh and yes I do technically liaise with Khadas. This whole *stuff it in a box I can do that because there is no skill involved" is bollocks. Just another clueless Internet expert.

For your reference basic speaker box design, sizing and porting, can be accomplished in minutes putting driver ts parameters into software packages. So by your standards it really is the same.

Last edited:

Pillars

Have you ever used a 3D design package and liaised with a manufacturer to get it produced? Thought not. Oh and yes I do technically liaise with Khadas. This whole *stuff it in a box I can do that because there is no skill involved" is bollocks. Just more Internet experts.

For your reference basic speaker box design, sizing and porting, can be accomplished in minutes putting driver ts parameters into software packages.

I've got a 3D printer and can design so, not a problem. I can make an enclosure to spec for the Khardas board. Let's team up for the DAC2.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
DACs fart?

And it's actually 4.173546666666... dB. Why? Because, it's, you know, irrational. :) (Engineer joke.)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyone who thinks a cheaper and attractive design for less and make a business out of it, should. I tried to make it work with someone else and the math and aggravation did not add up.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I've got a 3D printer and can design so, not a problem. I can make an enclosure to spec for the Khardas board. Let's team up for the DAC2.
You go for it. See who wants to buy a wobbly amateur plastic case. Do you have any aesthetic / artistic skills to make a design choice for the shape, materials and feel? Do you have the test and measurement skills to quality control and test the final product? Do you have the technical skills to select and evaluate the board in the first place?

As I said, you are just another totally clueless Internet expert.

Last edited:

Pillars

You go for it. See who wants to buy a wobbly amateur plastic case. Do you have the test and measurement skills to quality control and test the final product? Do you have the technical skills to select and evaluate the board in the first place?

As I said, you are just another clueless Internet expert.
Khardas measures and ensures their boards are to spec, IT'S THEIR DESIGN! Just put it into the case. 3D printing isn't wobbly if done right. I'm just proving a point that there are more people who can design a box than you think. If you believe your process is something special then it must be.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Anyone who thinks a cheaper and attractive design for less and make a business out of it, should. I tried to make it work with someone else and the math and aggravation did not add up.

My CNC job suppliers charge me from 60 EUR to 75 EUR per hr., for both CNC machine and machine operator ...
Add the aluminum brick to be CNCed, then add the hard-coat anodizing ...
Add the assembling, QC protocols, some marketing/commercial activities ...
Add the financial risks since you buy some dozen boards and cases from your suppliers to build up a minimum of stock ...
Add some costs for the operation logistics ...
Add some R&D costs ...
Add some profit, as you need it sooner or later ...
And you are still working in your garage ...

There are too many dreamers in here ...

dreamers6.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
How many of you can identify the source of your watch movement? Mostly it is the case and band that sells a regular grade watch. The performance difference between most watch movements is not unlike the performance difference between most DACs, i.e. negligible in practical use.
There are many scams in the world of watches.
But most reputable companies will let you know what kind of movement it is, sometimes even the model specifically.
You know that you are paying for the cost of the movement + their design and mfg.

In the case of this product, it seems that it is a tone board with some slight modification and then placed into a simple box and sold for 4x as much... that is deceitful especailly when you claim to not want to expose the specs due to possible "chinese copycats" when the board itself is chinese...
I think that at this point in time "the chinese" have proven to be able to make their own very competant designs (Topping & SMSL) without the help of others.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Khardas measures and ensures their boards are to spec, IT'S THEIR DESIGN! Just put it into the case. 3D printing isn't wobbly if done right. I'm just proving a point that there are more people who can design a box than you think. If you believe your process is something special then it must be.
You have no idea what khadas quality control is like. Regardless it still requires testing after the final product is assembled. You wouldn't have the first clue how to do that.

Go on then, put your crappy home made plastic box on sale and see where you get.

You are just a clueless Internet expert.

Pillars

My CNC job suppliers charge me from 60 EUR to 75 EUR per hr., for both CNC machine and machine operator ...
Add the aluminum brick to be CNCed, then add the hard-coat anodizing ...
Add the assembling, QC protocols, some marketing/commercial activities ...
Add the financial risks since you buy some dozen boards and cases from your suppliers to build up a minimum of stock ...
Add some costs for the operation logistics ...
Add some R&D costs ...
Add some profit, as you need it sooner or later ...
And you are still working in your garage ...

There are too many dreamers in here ...

View attachment 19224
Really dude.. the Ncase M1 PC case was fully designed, built and sold for $200 in full aluminum and that's even considered high.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

You can't be serious? No offence, but I get feeling that you have zero practical experience with industrial manufacturing?

Those who can't do, teach...

Pillars

You have no idea what khadas quality control is like. Regardless it still requires testing after the final product is assembled. You wouldn't have the first clue how to do that.

Go on then, put your crappy home made plastic box on sale and see where you get.

You are just a clueless Internet expert.

You should make that your signature. Only the fact is that you are a clueless salesman.

helloworld

I am glad you finally said this. I want to know how khadas people would react to this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Really dude.. the Ncase M1 PC case was fully designed, built and sold for $200 in full aluminum and that's even considered high.
So create a new thread and walk through the business plan and let's see if one can be built for less. Right now we have some DIY 3d print plans and March audio. If something in between can be developed let's get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom