• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of MARCH audio dac1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veri

Master Contributor
Lets take a look at the Topping D30.... It has more inputs than your DAC and the same number of outputs.
it has a nice set of switches and its price is $100 delivered.
I have added the total cost of all the components inside (the ones that I could find the prices to) and found the prices were around ~$46 +/- $8.
That isn't including the cost of the case itself.
Assuming they can have the case machined for $10 (not too bad of a price since it is solid aluminum) that would leave a profit of $25-30.
That is shipping via Amazon though that will take 10-30% of the sale price, and the cost of delivery which would be around another $10.

Assuming that Topping is selling it for the MSRP of $120, its likely they are making less than $25 per unit when all is said and done.

On ebay there is one shipped for $105.
This is 10% ebay fee ($10.50), and shipping (atleast $10 from china).
That would leave the MFG with $79.50, of which they could have UPTO $66 of cost.

When it comes to a product like the DX7, from what I was able to source... the cost is closer to around $120. There are some unknown factors such as the screen (since I couldn't find it off the shelf) and the small SMD's that I can find part numbers to. I added ~$20 hoping to cover it all.
The case again could be made for maybe around $10-12.

Therefore the "profit" on this unit even at a cost around $150 would be much higher at the original retail price of $400.
But imagining $400 via ebay, thats still 10% ebay fee, 3% paypal fee. Which amounts to $42 + shipping from china ($20) which means around $62.
So that would leave them with $338, with a cost around $150.

The leaves them with $180 profit. Which is quite a nice profit assuming my prices are correct. But this is their "flagship" product.

They have all custom boards done themselves, custom firmware, and they have licensing with XMOS.
So all of this "profit" also has to pay for their R&D.
Nevermind that they are testing with an APTX555 just like what Amir has.

Unfortunately you have done NONE of this engineering, offer a product without ANY of the features or costs and yet your price is actually higher.
And yet you claim that I am another "clueless internet expert"?

The reality is that had you never shown up the Khadas tone board, when Amir disassembled the DAC we would have found it and searched it and this same backlash would have come.

There are plenty of other products that have been tested here with prices that are too high and performance that isn't too wonderful and as such have not been recommended.
As much as the benefit of the doubt has been given to you, your arrogance in this matter isn't helping your case.
You're comparing China produce to a product offered from Australia though (disregarding the base board). It's not a very good comparison even with your breakdown of what you believe the components cost.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Even if he paid twice as much for the case (for a nice one) you and I both know that the case isn't even $50, let alone $100.
Again you are showing you have absolutely no idea. You are truly clueless. Show me the last quote you got for producing a small number of cnc milled cases to this standard.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Again you are showing you have absolutely no idea. Show me the last quote you got for producing a small number of cnc milled cases to this standard.
So if I go source the case, will you then buy them for me?

Because the thing is that if I go throug the trouble to get the actual quote, I am going to build the cases.
Buy this Tone board and put them inside (i saw a post on the forum that for an order of 50 I could likely get a price of $89.25) and sell it at a 10% markup (for my efforts) and then you will have 0 sales.
So be careful what you say here, because I do actually know what I am doing and you will end up out of business.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You're comparing China produce to a product offered from Australia though (disregarding the base board). It's not a very good comparison even with your breakdown of what you believe the components cost.
Its not at all produced in austrailia. Its a damn fully assembled DAC unit placed inside of a case.
If Alan assemebled them himself then he would still have likely less than 10 minutes of work per product using just hand tools.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Again you are guessing and have no clue about manufacturing costs and the hidden costs behind.

You are just being a clueless Internet expert and you certainly dont know what their costs are or if they are making any profit.

It's your arrogance and ignorance that is the issue here.
Care to elaborate other than say the same subjective garbage over and over again?
I have provided real pricing and fees to bring a product to market.
You have presented subjective garbage claiming that I don't know anything.

You are just barking further and further up the wrong tree.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
[
So if I go source the case, will you then buy them for me?

Because the thing is that if I go throug the trouble to get the actual quote, I am going to build the cases.
Buy this Tone board and put them inside (i saw a post on the forum that for an order of 50 I could likely get a price of $89.25) and sell it at a 10% markup (for my efforts) and then you will have 0 sales.
So be careful what you say here, because I do actually know what I am doing and you will end up out of business.

No you think you are the expert. You toddle off in your ignorance and make a product and compete. You clearly don't know what you are doing. Absolutely clueless Internet expert.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can March and Jim plz get a room? I'm sorry but there seems to be a heated battle here isn't of much use for many.... Both are quite passionate about audiogear but don't agree on the pricing, parts and labor, administrative services involved in the production of such...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Care to elaborate other than say the same subjective garbage over and over again?
I have provided real pricing and fees to bring a product to market.
You have presented subjective garbage claiming that I don't know anything.

You are just barking further and further up the wrong tree.
You forget I am the one that has actually done this, I know the costs and the additional work. You just claim you do.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Its not at all produced in austrailia. Its a damn fully assembled DAC unit placed inside of a case.
If Alan assemebled them himself then he would still have likely less than 10 minutes of work per product using just hand tools.
More clueless commentary. Now test it. Now pack it. What about all the background work. You are truly being ignorant and idiotic trying to make out the whole process is just 10 minutes of throwing a board in a box.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Can March and Jim plz get a room? I'm sorry but there seems to be a heated battle here isn't of much use for many.... Both are quite passionate about audiogear but don't agree on the pricing, parts and labor, administrative services involved in the production of such...
Actually can moderation deal with this trolling?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Really dude.. the Ncase M1 PC case was fully designed, built and sold for $200 in full aluminum and that's even considered high.

OK, so you can go to see your bank and ask for some serious money to launch your own business ...
Ohh ... as your are on the way, pls. do not forget to register your own domain ... Pillars-Audio.com ... don't you like it ?
Do it before it is going to be too late and some one else will take it ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
value is very subjective. the entire forum following is likely to be split down the middle on whether the pricing here is "fair and reasonable". you have to use a $30k example or extreme to get everyone on the same side of that line.

Bummer this spun out of control but easy to see how it did so. Really sad folks got banned over it.

At the end of the day, the tone board was a product I would never purchase, for the hurdle of the case alone. March Audio has now made it an option for me. While I will not be choosing it, I get why others would and commend them for bringing it to market.
I’d like to point out no one got banned from this , the member who was banned made another account to harass and discredit march audio. This from a A industry competitor, that’s not going to be tolerated on any forum . If he’d just posted under his original alias there would of been no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom