• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The slow reconstruction filter could likely be handled with an update of the dsp's firmware.
Granted. I asked what issues psf1 was concerned about. He answered "their measurements" which I took to refer to the criticisms regarding SINAD.
Specificity is useful.

psf1

I apologize. I was referring to the reference to a firmware update possibly rectifying the dac filtering issue. This seems to be the only pro that has received tacit approval. Does Amir ever do measurements with DIRAC/Audyssey turned on? Also, it seems a lot of folks take issue with his 4v standard protocol for measurements. How does the 8805 measure at lower voltage?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Suddenly I found out that my AV8805 was not decoding AC3/DD/DTS anymore playing from my windows 10 pc via HDMI.
It also lost the ability to play higher sample rates!

After a long search and reinstalling almost every involved piece of driver/sw I found out that it was a setting in the Marantz that was causing this.
Its far from trivial that this whould happen, so if you ever come in the same situation this could help you a long search for a solution :)

This behaviour is caused by having 1 source routed to 2 zones, in my case my PC was routed to HDMI out1 in the "main" zone.
For a test I also needed my PC to send audio to zone2. After that the above behaviour started.

So: dont route AC3/DD/DTS and >48KHz sources to more than one zone at a time..

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Suddenly I found out that my AV8805 was not decoding AC3/DD/DTS anymore playing from my windows 10 pc via HDMI.
It also lost the ability to play higher sample rates!

After a long search and reinstalling almost every involved piece of driver/sw I found out that it was a setting in the Marantz that was causing this.
Its far from trivial that this whould happen, so if you ever come in the same situation this could help you a long search for a solution :)

This behaviour is caused by having 1 source routed to 2 zones, in my case my PC was routed to HDMI out1 in the "main" zone.
For a test I also needed my PC to send audio to zone2. After that the above behaviour started.

So: dont route AC3/DD/DTS and >48KHz sources to more than one zone at a time..

That makes sense when you consider the disparate capabilities. I have never used Zones but have had issues where the unit would not turn off and finally discovered, Zone2 was presses. Argh.

- Rich

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That makes sense when you consider the disparate capabilities. I have never used Zones but have had issues where the unit would not turn off and finally discovered, Zone2 was presses. Argh.
I've had a few issues pop-up automagically like that. Before messing about I've pulled the power cord for a few minutes and then reconnected. After the unit finished rebooting it had returned to normal behavior, only routing to the main zone, etc.

fbfranco

Does anyone know if the AV8805 has a separate Headphone Amp circuit (separated op amps) and what's the output voltage and impedance? Thanks!

Hayabusa

Hayabusa

But there was a suggestion that the avm60 was defective.
as there is no update on this you have the chance the current avm60 still has this performance...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So is the av8805 better than the avm60?
as there is no update on this you have the chance the current avm60 still has this performance...
Agreed
But at this point I find the question a bit obsolete,
If your interested in Anthem the new AVM70 is a significantly improved and recommended product.

fbfranco

Does anyone know if the AV8805 has a separate Headphone Amp circuit (separated op amps) and what's the output voltage and impedance? Thanks!
Anyone? It would be great if our friend @amirm could test headphone amp performance on AVRs and Processors when available.

bigguyca

(1) Does anyone know if the AV8805 has a separate Headphone Amp circuit (separated op amps) and what's the output voltage and impedance? Thanks!

(1) Yes

Appears to use NJM4556AD op amp taken from HDAM output, maximum output voltage not obvious however +/- 12V supplies to op amps, output impedance 100/3 = 33 ohms

Rusty on op amps, gain appears to be 2.2/1 + 1 = 3.2x relative to SE output of AV8805 L or R

Top Bottom