• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not debating but I just can't see the cause-effect you're proposing.
I have heard from a couple of smaller "high-end" companies that encumbering support for HDMI has caused them to exit the A/V or processor business or to not enter it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My review of Emotiva indicates, look elsewhere for midrange AV processors.
There was a time when Emotiva seemed to work hard at offering good value for the money stuff. That has appeared headed down hill over the last few years. :(

RUR

Made me look.

So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors...….

Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.

As a rule, folks @ the high end who use Datasat/Theta/Trinnov/Storm etc products are building 16-32 channel home theaters, often costing well into six figures, don't care about video handling in the processor. They'd rather use Lumagen or similar products to handle switching, LUT support etc. etc.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors.
...............................................Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.
As a rule, folks @ the high end who use Datasat/Theta/Trinnov/Storm etc products are building 16-32 channel home theaters, often costing well into six figures, don't care about video handling in the processor.
OTOH, all of them extract audio from the HDMI for most of their sources. (Brief statement rushed out to beat Don to the punch.)

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Made me look.

So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors.

I suppose they have all sorts of sound modes, certainly enough licenses attached.

Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.

Most if not all AVRs only switch the video, but the audio has to be pulled from the HDMI and that requires handshaking and interfacing that is a major headache and requires those chips Amir referenced. The spec is rather poorly written (in my limited experience) and leaves too much ambiguity so getting two HDMI components to play well together can be a crap shoot. Then there are all the different cables; some work, some don't , and you have to get the right cable for the bandwidth needed... I have a bunch and most have little to no label to tell me what bandwidth it supports. I end up buying new just to avoid the hassle of spending an hour or two in the rat's nest behind the console trying to see what if any work with my new toys.

Edit: Kal beat me to it.

capitanharlock

There is other gear out there, a midrange of NAD, Anthem, Emotiva, etc. And a high end like Acurus, StormAudio, Trinnov.
We just lack anyone to do honest reviews. ;)

I am torn between Nad M17V2, Anthem MV60, Arcam Mv860 and this Marantz.
Two channels audio is a must.

Really don't know what to choose.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You could, but it isn't clear whether that would be worth it since the performance of the unit as an analog preamp was not measured. I think it is unlikely that the "limitations" in the unit tested were all at the DAC level. If they were largely at the preamp level, that would make an external DAC redundant.
Drudging up an old post: Recently, I have observed that the use of a high quality (multichannel) DAC feeding the undigitized analog input of the AV8805 sounds clearly superior to running the digital source files to the Marantz via HDMI.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Drudging up an old post: Recently, I have observed that the use of a high quality (multichannel) DAC feeding the undigitized analog input of the AV8805 sounds clearly superior to running the digital source files to the Marantz via HDMI.
That's strange considering the first indicates a double DA conversion including the DA in the Marantz, while the second option is only with DA conversion of the Marantz.

It must mean the HDMI input is suffering from jitter and the extra DA conversion from the multichannel DAC is so transparent that it really doesn't add much.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I gotta ask.
Could you explain the conditions and data results of your DBT please. ;)

vert

Forum Donor
I have observed the same ; stereo DAC (with AK chip) , different Marantz model (with an AK chip as well)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
That's strange considering the first indicates a double DA conversion including the DA in the Marantz, while the second option is only with DA conversion of the Marantz.
No. The multichannel analog inputs of the Marantz are not digitized so we are comparing two different connection configurations that also differ in which of the two devices does the single D/A conversion.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I gotta ask.
Could you explain the conditions and data results of your DBT please. ;)
Thanks for the smiley but I acknowledge that I do not and cannot perform DBT. The reason I bring this up is to suggest that measurements of the analog-only signal path would be relevant.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the smiley but I acknowledge that I do not and cannot perform DBT. The reason I bring this up is to suggest that measurements of the analog-only signal path would be relevant.
It's extremely difficult to accurately deduce the signal path going on inside these complicated devices with confidence. I only question that the two DAC's would sound so clearly different in and of themselve. If the observation is accurate, there must be something else at play here.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The multichannel analog inputs of the Marantz are not digitized so we are comparing two different connection configurations that also differ in which of the two devices does the single D/A conversion.
I don't know, but I'll ask are you sure that is how it works? A few years back was working on a Denon for someone, and there was no analog straight thru. All analog inputs were sent thru an ADC and then output from the DACs. That particular Denon has a power supply issue on the ADC which made it noisy. Adding a big capacitor and shielding fixed it. Denon and Marantz are made by the same company, but not necessarily identical of course.

Doing measures of the analog inputs/outputs would of course be a good idea.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I believe Marantz says the analog is straight through, no digitization, which also means no processing (no soundfield modes, no bass management, no room correction, etc.) Some other products I have (and had) work that way as well; a select set of analog inputs go through a purely analog path with no ADC or DAC in the path. OTOH my Denon and Pioneer Elite digitized everything all the time.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It's extremely difficult to accurately deduce the signal path going on inside these complicated devices with confidence. I only question that the two DAC's would sound so clearly different in and of themselve. If the observation is accurate, there must be something else at play here.
The two paths also differ in that one is via USB to the external DACs and the other is HDMI directly to the Marantz.
I don't know, but I'll ask are you sure that is how it works? A few years back was working on a Denon for someone, and there was no analog straight thru. All analog inputs were sent thru an ADC and then output from the DACs. That particular Denon has a power supply issue on the ADC which made it noisy. Adding a big capacitor and shielding fixed it. Denon and Marantz are made by the same company, but not necessarily identical of course.
That used to be common in the past but, more recently, D&M have either removed the 7.1 analog inputs entirely or, if they are retained, remain analog. I have made several inquiries to D&M since the AV8801 and they have been consistent in confirming this.
Yup.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, but I'll ask are you sure that is how it works?

In the user manual Marantz specifies a frequency response of 10 Hz – 100 kHz ( +1, –3 dB) in Direct mode. This is a hint that analog signals are not digitized in Direct mode.

Yep.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Also.........................................
Analog
S/N: 105 dB (IHF–A weighted, Direct mode)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz – 20 kHz) (Direct mode)
Digital
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Also.........................................
Analog
S/N: 105 dB (IHF–A weighted, Direct mode)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz – 20 kHz) (Direct mode)
Digital
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)

equals = "analog input of the AV8805 sounds clearly superior to running the digital source files to the Marantz via HDMI" ???
Something isn't adding up?

Top Bottom