• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
There is other gear out there, a midrange of NAD, Anthem, Emotiva, etc. And a high end like Acurus, StormAudio, Trinnov.
We just lack anyone to do honest reviews. ;)
My review of Emotiva indicates, look elsewhere for midrange AV processors. I believe Anthem's are mostly the same inside as the mid priced Emotiva. Or I should say were. New models out now. Wonder if they list any specs in the owners manual? Can't say it doesn't meet spec if there are none.

Okay, just checked on the Emotiva MC700 $699 processor. Specs listed consist of channels, ins and outs etc. Not one audio performance specification is given. I'd stay very far away. If it was even okay they'd list them. I suppose you can give them credit for being honest by making no claims. I'd give them that credit and buy something else.

Here is the entirety of the specifications in the MC700 owners manual.

Emotiva MC700 specs.png

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not debating but I just can't see the cause-effect you're proposing.
I have heard from a couple of smaller "high-end" companies that encumbering support for HDMI has caused them to exit the A/V or processor business or to not enter it.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
My review of Emotiva indicates, look elsewhere for midrange AV processors.
There was a time when Emotiva seemed to work hard at offering good value for the money stuff. That has appeared headed down hill over the last few years. :(

RUR

Made me look.

So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors...….

Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.
As a rule, folks @ the high end who use Datasat/Theta/Trinnov/Storm etc products are building 16-32 channel home theaters, often costing well into six figures, don't care about video handling in the processor. They'd rather use Lumagen or similar products to handle switching, LUT support etc. etc.

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors.
...............................................Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.
As a rule, folks @ the high end who use Datasat/Theta/Trinnov/Storm etc products are building 16-32 channel home theaters, often costing well into six figures, don't care about video handling in the processor.
OTOH, all of them extract audio from the HDMI for most of their sources. (Brief statement rushed out to beat Don to the punch.)

Last edited:

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
Made me look.

So, I read about two "high-end" AV Processors.

I suppose they have all sorts of sound modes, certainly enough licenses attached.

Neither says it does anything to the video except switch it.
Most if not all AVRs only switch the video, but the audio has to be pulled from the HDMI and that requires handshaking and interfacing that is a major headache and requires those chips Amir referenced. The spec is rather poorly written (in my limited experience) and leaves too much ambiguity so getting two HDMI components to play well together can be a crap shoot. Then there are all the different cables; some work, some don't , and you have to get the right cable for the bandwidth needed... I have a bunch and most have little to no label to tell me what bandwidth it supports. I end up buying new just to avoid the hassle of spending an hour or two in the rat's nest behind the console trying to see what if any work with my new toys.

Edit: Kal beat me to it.

Top Bottom