• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

StandardModel

Patreon Donor
Very low THD, I don't understand your concern, really: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7011-av-receiver-review-test-bench.
Also, there's the audio.com.pl test from above that barely shows the 2nd harmonic around -90dB; for a powerful amplifier this is a very good figure. Feel free to search all amps tested by the guys from audio.com.pl and you'll not find much better graphs (this is also due to their testing equipment).

Sometimes measurements are not telling absolutely everything about the output sound. Feel free to test your hearing with some audio files: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...can-we-trust-our-ears.3884/page-4#post-136991. If you can hear the -60dB for the 2nd and 3rd harmonic, then I can create more files for you and see how low can you go. :) I'm sure you'll not be able to hear the 2nd harmonic at 60dB away from the fundamental, so why worry about the -90dB from your amp?

You can anytime connect an external DAC to this receiver if you want better THD specs, although...if you'll use a mic & REW you'll probably not notice any differences. Yes, your speakers are having much more distortions than DAC and amplifier. :)

My ODAC is the most noisiest DAC from my home and this DAC has several tests and measurements that prove that it's a good and transparent DAC. Well, those ODAC measurements are all good and as long as THD is below 0.1% and background noise with at least 80dB away from the listening level I don't think anyone should car much. Amir is measuring audio stuff so we can choose our best price/performance ratio for our home and budget and to find any possible flaws (safety reasons); 1 or 2 dB between the testes devices doesn't really means something to our ears for sure.

P.S.: There are engineers that are looking to create amps with several harmonics added: http://www.pmillett.com/3B7.html and same engineers are building amps with very low THD as well: http://www.pmillett.com/butte.htm.
Here's my issue. I'm sure you are correct about the overall specifications, but at these prices and with their ad copy you would think they had built the audio holy grail. Obviously they built a "good enough"product for many consumers. The box if sold by the pound, may be fairly priced but based strictly on audio performance it is overpriced. Unless I'm missing something, better audio performance may be purchased for a small fraction of their price.

trl

King of Mods
@StandardModel manufacturer stated here https://www.us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/AV8805U_ENG_PDF_UG_v00A.pdf that:
For D/A input:
- Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB) [Amir found 0.002%]
- S/N ratio — 102 dB [probably 92dB, given the 3rd harmonic for the 1KHz test]
- Dynamic range — 100 dB [Amir found 110dB]
For analog input:
- 0.005 % (20 Hz – 20 kHz) (Direct mode)

Manufacturers will not disclose the results of a full test and maybe they will never do so many and in-thorough tests like Amir does because doing so many tests for each amplifier will most likely increase the time to get the device out on the market with several hours for handling and measuring each device (it might actually add couple of bucks on the final price).

However, 45 years ago thing were much more simple: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Tektronix Cookbook of Standard Audio Tests.pdf:)

L.E.: THD+N vs. frequency might not help manufacturers, in most cases. This is one of the cases, of course.

Last edited:
Here's my issue. I'm sure you are correct about the overall specifications, but at these prices and with their ad copy you would think they had built the audio holy grail. Obviously they built a "good enough"product for many consumers. The box if sold by the pound, may be fairly priced but based strictly on audio performance it is overpriced. Unless I'm missing something, better audio performance may be purchased for a small fraction of their price.
You go dig up a multichannel AV processor that measures better and does just as much stuff, then. Else, all of this huffing and puffing about the performance is just a waste of breath. Maybe the NAD or Emotiva units that include Dirac have better audio performance, but I'm not shopping for a $5000 4K gazillion channel AV preamp at the moment, though, so I haven't paid much attention. My Denon with XT32 and Atmos gets the job done just fine at the moment.

Still, it seems to me that Dirac is about the only feature this lacks which would truly give potentially significant audible improvements since it does time domain correction. You are continuing to harp on one aspect of the product, instead of the entire product and what it does. That's hogwash. I'm going to say all of those great measuring stand alone DACs are all turds because they only have 2 channels and don't have Audyssey XT32, Bluetooth streaming, or Dirac. There, I win. Yay, internet enlightenment! :cool:

Last edited:

maty

Marantz SR8012 11.2CH Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D AV Receiver by Gene DellaSala

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8012-receiver/marantz-sr8012-bench-tests

As preamplifier. Problem: power amp works too. H3 dominant, at -95 dB. Bandwith < 60 kHz.

Marantz SR8012 Preamp Out FFT Distortion Analysis @ 1Vrms

Marantz SR8012 Frequency Response - Pure Direct

Marantz SR8012 Signal to Noise Ratio (1Vrms) - Pure Direct

As AV

I like:

Marantz SR8012 FFT Distortion Analysis (1 watt, 8 ohms)

There is no denying the SR8012 produces respectable power for an AV receiver, but I wanted to see how cleanly it does so at low power, where it spends most of its time. The 2nd order harmonic residual dominates and is about 95dB below the 1kHz fundamental, which is a good result. I was surprised to not see the 3kHz odd order be the dominant factor since it was during the preamp FFT test but I'm not complaining, it’s just inquiring.

Last edited:
A comparable set of measurements for the previous generation processor, marantz av8802
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/receiver-processor/processors/marantz-av8802-processor-review/
And after all those ugly noisy graphs, the reviewer concluded that the 8802 was „the best 11.2 channel receiver of the year“.
Did you take a look at the measurements? First of all, thanks for the link. It proofs that the technical requirements (if we are talking about the science) for initial conditions for ANY test (except of destructive ones - made on purpose) are stated in the specification for any particular device, and shall not be guessed. The actual distortion spectrum of 8802 is WAY better than we observed for 8805 in this thread, despite the fact that worse equipment was used. Second harmonic is at the level of -95dB, third is significantly lower at about -102dB. This means that the circuit was not overloaded during 8802 test close to it’s clipping level. As soon as we raise the signal closer to the clipping or soft compression at the clipping level, level of third harmonic raises and becomes to be higher than second - exactly what we have observed in 8805 measurements (or 8802 measurements at 5V) - level of 3rd harmonic was prevailing and close to -91dB - way worse result than for 8802! Why? Because of 4V+ vs 2.4V required per the specification (and 2.05V in the 8802 test). In my humble opinion the measurement had to be done at 2V and compared with 2.4V (max), but 4V is obviously “an overkill”.
8802, 8802A, and 8805 use pretty much the same DAC circuit with AK4490 chips, so the measurements for the used type of tests shall be similar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom