• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

seedragon

Forum Donor
Have you tried room correction? Seems like that could fix the extra mid-bass issue, which sounds to me like a room mode.
I am writing here the same question that I propose on the LS50 Meta thread.

Basically, I wonder, according to you, owning a new TDAI-3400 and a coulple of Kef LS50 Metas, if makes sense to buy a complete Lyngdorf set (satellites and subs) and sending back the Kef (I still have time).

Actually the Metas works very, very good in my poor squared room, with a presentation that is good to excellent from bass to highs.

The only complain is in the mid-bass area where the punch is even too much, and this happen only with some genre of music (mostly dance, hip-hop and some pop).

The, based on your experiences, the Metas could be outperformed by a complete Lyngdorf set when paired to the TDAI-3400 or I will fall into an downgrade, considering the extremely refinement of the Metas?

Have you done any room measurements with REW to find out if you're getting a null in the mid-bass region? If you are, then it doesn't matter what speakers you get, you'll have the same issue. The fix is either to reposition your Metas or add room treatments (bass traps). I'm assuming because you're posting in the Roomperfect thread, that you have already run Roomperfect. I run Dirac, but AFAIK, Roomperfect doesn't tell you your room's actual response, just the predicted response, which is often quite far from reality. Is that the case?

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I am writing here the same question that I propose on the LS50 Meta thread.

Basically, I wonder, according to you, owning a new TDAI-3400 and a coulple of Kef LS50 Metas, if makes sense to buy a complete Lyngdorf set (satellites and subs) and sending back the Kef (I still have time).

Actually the Metas works very, very good in my poor squared room, with a presentation that is good to excellent from bass to highs.

The only complain is in the mid-bass area where the punch is even too much, and this happen only with some genre of music (mostly dance, hip-hop and some pop).

The, based on your experiences, the Metas could be outperformed by a complete Lyngdorf set when paired to the TDAI-3400 or I will fall into an downgrade, considering the extremely refinement of the Metas?

Never heard either speakers. Found Room Perfect has less positive effects on well measuring speakers and rooms. Makes sense, if not broken it has a smaller correction.
Would assume the LS50 will not benefit as much as normal. Appears to be very well engineered. Not familiar with the Lyngdorf speaker systems.

RiseFall

Have you tried room correction? Seems like that could fix the extra mid-bass issue, which sounds to me like a room mode.

I use RoomPerfect setted in Focus.

RoomPerfect instead of eliminate some bass (as Dirac does), it will add even more, but the bass the RP adds, it's not wrong or make the problem worse.

BTW, the mid-bass area that I complain, is the same, with or without correction, maybe with RP on is better.

It's only in particular genres or recordings that I have that issue, also, it seem that burn-in of the speakers (and maybe also of the amplifier?) are making the this goes better, but still I am not 100% happy of the that only issue.

RiseFall

Have you done any room measurements with REW to find out if you're getting a null in the mid-bass region? If you are, then it doesn't matter what speakers you get, you'll have the same issue. The fix is either to reposition your Metas or add room treatments (bass traps). I'm assuming because you're posting in the Roomperfect thread, that you have already run Roomperfect. I run Dirac, but AFAIK, Roomperfect doesn't tell you your room's actual response, just the predicted response, which is often quite far from reality. Is that the case?

I'm going to make some REW measurements. I already have some treatments (bass traps) in the room. Everything is pretty good exept for that particular area, to my ears.

Found Room Perfect has less positive effects

As wrote before, on LS50 Meta, RoomPerfect just add more bass (in a correct way) while mostly mids and highs are just like the same.

RiseFall

Have you done any room measurements with REW to find out if you're getting a null in the mid-bass region?

Left and right, I confess I took them not in a very good way (HDMI out of the laptop), I hope later to connect to the amp via USB-B cable using a better driver and volume.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 176
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 201

alaios

Subjective Results
Nearly 20 years ago I had my first experience with room correction courtesy of a now defunct company, TacT. I remember being startled with what I heard. The transformation is incredible. I forever became convinced that room equalization is mandatory in any home system. I tell you this story because the RoomPerfect was just the same. ...

What about stereo systems? One dealer the other day told me that my room is perfect just for stereo! (I never did any treament and the dealer never saw it). Is room correction an home cinema ballgame?

jhenderson0107

...I have Linkwitz Orions, which are designed to interact with the room and light it up evenly. ...Maybe room correction and dipoles like the Linkwitz designs are not sympatico.
That has not been my experience. I corrected both Orion's and LX-521's in my living room with Audiolense and the improvements were easily discernable and substantial as detailed in this thread.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Is the Room Correction capability in 1120 the same with the one in 3400?! I am thinking of getting a 1120 just as a DAC/ preamp/ RC/ streaming if these features are identical with the higher level models.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the Room Correction capability in 1120 the same with the one in 3400?! I am thinking of getting a 1120 just as a DAC/ preamp/ RC/ streaming if these features are identical with the higher level models.
I have been considering the same thing. In another thread @MarkS pointed out one issue to take into consideration. If used as a preamp, you lose the ability to control your subwoofer(s) separately as there are only two analog outputs.

FWIW: I use a Lyngdorf MP40 in my surround system and love the power of RoomPerfect. When I am not watching films I use it as a 2 channel Roon endpoint and it sounds very good and individually controls multiple subwoofers.

Steve356

I have been considering the same thing. In another thread @MarkS pointed out one issue to take into consideration. If used as a preamp, you lose the ability to control your subwoofer(s) separately as there are only two analog outputs.

That's correct. It's one of the few cons of the amps.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Some clarification directly fromthe company, if it is of help for anybody:

It all depends on which models you want to compare, and what you mean by technically identical. I will presume you are talking about our current models, TDAI-1120 and TDAI-3400.
The only traditinal DAC in the amps is on the analog line output, and these are not identical on the two amps. The main output is based on the same technology, a switching amplifier that works on the digital signal directly without a tradtitional DAC in the signal chain.
Streaming features are based on the same technology, but functionality is not quite the same. 1120 has Googlecast, the 3400 has not. The 3400 has a USB streaming input, the 1120 does not have this. All other functionality is the same.
RoomPerfect algorithms are exactly the same.
Preamplifier function, what do you mean? The digital part is virtually identical but runs on different platforms. The analog front end is different but functionality is the same. AD converters on the anlaog inputs are also different.

Please let me know if you need further information, or have more specific questions.

Anders Borbye
After Sales Manager

Overseas

Major Contributor
Contemplating to add Room Perfect to my system, keeping the Yamaha AS1100, floorstanders, no sub.
That means to purchase Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 and use it with Room Perfect on the analog RCA out.

Since I do not use subs, is there any relevant benefit with Room Perfect over the cheaper alternative: Umik1 measurement + Wiim Pro PEQ?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Contemplating to add Room Perfect to my system, keeping the Yamaha AS1100, floorstanders, no sub.
That means to purchase Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 and use it with Room Perfect on the analog RCA out.

Since I do not use subs, is there any relevant benefit with Room Perfect over the cheaper alternative: Umik1 measurement + Wiim Pro PEQ?
Room Perfect will still help tame room modes and balance the low frequencies of your system, but it would have more control if you were blending subwoofer(s). Why do you want to keep using the Yamaha? The power difference is inconsequential, do you need additional analog inputs?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Hi, I love my AS1100, after trying other 5-6 amps, not same league. Also enjoy my Triangle Australe, no need for extra bass.
So I am wondering if Room Perfect would make a difference.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I love my AS1100, after trying other 5-6 amps, not same league. Also enjoy my Triangle Australe, no need for extra bass.
So I am wondering if Room Perfect would make a difference.
I don't think adding an integrated amp to your system that has an integrated amp makes much sense.

Room Perfect is great, but if you intend on keeping your Yamaha integrated amp, then I think you should look for an outboard DSP that you can insert in the tape monitor loop if you have an obvious room mode issue that you feel you need to correct. If you don't have any obvious issues and you just want to make changes then again, adding a DSP will give you that control though you may find you are going backward if you start tweaking with no objective goal in mind.

Top Bottom