• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

Tip

Peter [Lyngdorf] was the majority owner of NAD at the time and originally intended for TacT to be the high-end line of NAD. In fact, on the first TacT RCS processors you could see the NAD logo flash on the screen for a few milliseconds at startup.) But then Peter sold his ownership in NAD to fund the startup of TacT Audio as a separate company.
Here are photos of the first TacT RCS, the RCS 2.2 (note "NAD ELECTRONICS LTD - MADE IN USA" on the back panel):
RCS 2.2 Front Panel.jpg
RCS 2.2 Front Power Switch & Logo.jpg
RCS 2.2 Back Panel (note the NAD logo).jpg

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I read somewhere that the Mac men220 does not have the same Room Perfect engine as the Lyngdorf 3400 or 2170. Not sure about the particulars but I think I read that the men220 up-samples to 96Hz and the Lyngdorf to 192Hz. Anybody have any more insight into this?
Earlier versions of Room Perfect resampled all input data streams to 96K. The chip only operated at 96k, an external hardware sample rate converter was used. Assume these later versions run at 192K.
Do not know what Mac uses.

nl88

Hmm.. I actually read thru all 11 pages including part 1.

At the end of the day, Lyngdorf is releasing the 1120. Is it worth getting it to drive my Sonus Faber Olympica I ?

Panelhead

Forum Donor
My Tact TCS (retail $10,000) is a door stop after the last firmware upgrade bricked it. :(
I bricked a KRK Ergo that had the Room Perfect Module while updating the FW driver. Luck was on my side, they had sold out to Gibson and were slamming them out for 300.00. Still have several.
All the FireWire connected devises were eaten alive keeping up with Windows updates. I think I can still connect them to my Mac Mini.
As far as the 1120, I am sure it is well designed, well built, and can drive the SF speakers. The company is very capable and has been in the game a long time.
There are software packages that can perform DRC. They lack the supplied calibrated microphone, ease of performing room measurements, and just integration of a hardware based solution.
One feature of Room Perfect is it is totally in the unit. After DRC is performed and stored the unit is no longer tethered to a computer. Analog, SPDIF, and streaming feeds are processed by the box.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
What’s up with that baby sub? :p

Have you experimented with a curve closer to Harman’s target?
attachment.php

Shouldn't a "trained listeners" preference hump be a bit more gentle?

SQJAYZn.png

QMuse

Major Contributor
Shouldn't a "trained listeners" preference hump be a bit more gentle?

SQJAYZn.png

No, you are only getting that impression from that graph. But if you draw a 10dB falling line you see that it is exactly that what they preferred.

SQJAYZn.png

tuga

Major Contributor
The graph I posted shows less than 10dB between 50Hz and 10kHz for "trained listeners".

bLF8UUk.png

@MZKM 's graph shows what looks like the "all listeners" preference curve (≥2.5dB than "trained listeners"), a target which may make sense from a commercial prespective:

ETrpkVx.png

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Amirm you nailed it again with this topic. It is exactly what i also experienced. Using room correction let me experienced my music collection again. It was one of the reasons to search again for Full range speakers that could reveal more using room correction. I'm realy wondering what the difference are between the different Room EQ software/hardware solutions.. Yes i know it will be difficult to make objective comparisons. However a neighbour of mine is using room correction (DPA-1 pre-amp with Room Perfect) we both did an (subjective) comparison between Mathaudio Room EQ (in mine Man cave) an Lyngdorf Roomperfect at his place so an 1 on 1 comparison is not possible but you could more or less hear the same sort of correction as you describe in this topic. The idea is in a couple of months to do a test with the 2 different Room correction solutions at 1 location.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
The graph I posted shows less than 10dB between 50Hz and 10kHz for "trained listeners".

bLF8UUk.png

My 10dB red line goes through dashed line (trained listeners only). Your blue line refers to solid line (all listeners).

Your initial remark was for trained listeners.

tuga

Major Contributor
My 10dB red line goes through dashed line (trained listeners only). Your blue line refers to solid line (all listeners).

Your initial remark was for trained listeners.

My initial remark was that "trained listeners" preference hump be a bit more gentle than the graph that @MZKM posted. I wasn't wrong.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Is it the 1120 a product worth buying?
From my experience yes. The information is limited. Looks to be a 2200.00 USD product.
Assume all the functionality works as stated.
The Room Perfect is the unique feature that will make of break these.
My first exposure to Room Perfect was when wandering around the Denver Tech Center RMAF show. They had an active setup up and when I came in was only “customer”. They played some music with DRC off. Then replayed same tracks with Room Perfect processing on. Then another genre of music and first on then then off.
Easy to do; push a button to enable Room Perfect, push replay on disc player. The difference was easily heard. Much improved. Better depth, clarity, dynamics, lower noise floor.
But easily rigged. Couple dB louder, dynamics compression or expansion.
Left skeptical that this expensive preamp could make such a big improvement in sonic playback.
This was mid 2000’s, maybe 2007 or 2008. The Room Perfect processing has not sat still for 12 years.
Later I used a dac/preamp with Room Perfect for 6 - 7 years. Same button to enable RP. Always was much better with it turned on. Many speakers and amps. Many active speakers.
I assume ARC, Dirac, Mini DSP, all work. None are perfect. But all help.
If TDAI-1120 gets traction I will definitely consider it for myself. Looking for information this weekend I have not found a lot. My needs are low. Easy to drive speakers with sub.
I am sure Europe will see before US. Timing could not be worse. But many of us are sitting at home now.

nl88

Yeah, reviews will take quite awhile before they surface.
I’m currently streaming Spotify on my Blusound PowerNode. Hence was thinking of all I do is stream Spotify and not even tidal, would I benefit from the upgrade ? I do have some locally stored FLAC files but not a large amount of them.

Geert

Major Contributor
From what I can see you are never wrong.
From what I can see you are often rude. Tuga was right (trained listeners bass preference is less than proposed in MZKM's graph), you misunderstood.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gentlemen...and I use the term loosely, please stop the ad hominem!

Now, to the crux... I have a Room Perfect in my system:

Sources: Vinyl, SACD, CD, Tidal, Amazon Prime, Digital downloads
Electronics: Benchmark DAC3, Room Perfect, AHB2 x 2 Bridged*
Connections: Benchmark balanced except Vinyl unbalanced , Neutric speaker connects
Speakers: Harbeth 40.1s; Stacked Quad 57s by Quads Unlimited

The system, pre-Room Perfect, I think sounded pretty good, despite the weird room: 24 x 14, vaulted ceilings, large opening in to living area, tons of LPs and CDs along one wall... you get the idea.

I had an opportunity to acquire a previously loved Room Perfect at an affordable price. I installed it (a bit of a pain in the Asp) and voila!, Noticeable difference. The various bumps and dips in the spectrum were smoothed out per my crude graphic display on my MacBook Pro .

To my notably ancient ears, the quality of my musical appreciation was enhanced... I confess my A-B efforts were/are sighted...nonetheless, It will have to be wrenched from over my cold, dead body** before I relinquish the Lyngdorf!

* I like lots of headroom.
**There are those that would like to do that... especially ex-wives and paramours, though not particularly because of the Lyngdorf.

Top Bottom