• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Linn Akurate DSM DAC/Streamer

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In strictly rational, objective terms it's difficult to justify expensive DACs, streamers and amplifiers regardless of country of origin. However, if you do decide that you want the luxury build quality and exclusivity of going upscale then I see no reason why Chinese companies shouldn't compete in the higher end. They have the technical capability and expertise, Oppo were essentially a Chinese company with a US front for their high end audio products and they made stunningly good gear which was manufactured to an extremely high standard. Shanling are another well regarded Chinese manufacturer.

Tin

Owning one of these, you lot are really comparing apples and a full fruit salad here:
The Linn DSM has a pretty decent phono-pre build in, and it is a very good pre-amp as well. I only have a rather mediocre Sennheiser HD-25 headphone, so I can't really compare it's build-in headphone amp, but from what I've read, it is pretty much up to par with the rest of the device.
The room compensation software is extremely powerful in attacking room modes, although very cumbersome to set up if you're new to it.

I wouldn't have bought it as a standalone DAC, but the total package made it, to me and my use case, a steal. Saying it is expensive when compared to a device which lacks the other features seems hardly relevant. It's like saying a Ferrari is overly expensive because it lacks storage space. :)

Although it can be, It is -not- intended to be used with Linns Exakt digital external crossovers; those devices have buildin DACs themselves, so there is a cheaper and DAC-less version of this streamer which would make more sense in those kind of setups.

A few remarks about the review itself
- it's preferred operation is streaming; there is less electrical noise that way. If your equipment is capable of testing that way, that would be nice.
- I have no use for Roon myself, I just want to browse through my library without any distractions, and Bubble DS provides that. All the features that you love about Roon, are putting me off. Horses for courses. :)

And lastly a question: does your testing put any significance on the accuracy of the internal clock? Or does the digital input of the DSM rely on the external clock? I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't tell for sure. It could be significant for the test.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... It's like saying a Ferrari is overly expensive because it lacks storage space ...

Also on a Ferrari you can get some storage space ...

Ferrari with trailer.jpg

yummy

Linn don't write corrected specs, many old-fashion are like this, they just write high distortion like much higher

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Linn don't write corrected specs, many old-fashion are like this, they just write high distortion like much higher
Better write higher THD numbers than copy-pasting inside opamps THD numbers and pretend the entire device has the same THD.

EVOLVIST

This system is meant for it's active speaker system. If you've ever heard it, it'll blow you away. It makes no sense to buy a Linn DAC and pair it with another MFR's amp. You can, but it's not the concept.

Right, it's not the concept, but I tried with the Linn Klimax Twin amp, which was cool, but the dealers kept foisting their speakers on me, which was uncool. I have the Linn KDS/3 which I'm very pleased with. Pricey? Yeah. I guess it doesn't wash around here, but there's a certain peace of mind that we sometimes we pay a premium for, and to my ears the other stuff like MSB and dCS was too pricey for what you get, plus they didn't fit the one-stop-shop model I was seeking. Neither does the Linn concept once they tell you that you must have this, or have that to get the full effect.

In my estimation, it doesn't defeat the concept by only having the Linn DAC/streamer. Imagined or not, by the time you start grouping separates into "a concept," more times than not, it doesn't quite sound as organic as it could be. Part of the fun is finding synergy between pieces of kit. I don't know why that is. Besides, I wasn't going to get rid of my speakers, which I love. Moreover, I had already gone down the road of putting all of my eggs into Chord's basket. Never again. Great gear but their business model is for shit.

So, I'm not necessarily kicking against your post. It just sparked a little bit about what I feeling then...and feeling now, as I may be looking for a new amp to see if I can get a little closer to the way I'd like my system to flow. I have a feeling it won't be the Linn amps.

EVOLVIST

So, do you guys think that it would be worth having my Linn Klimax DS/3 measured by Amir, or do you think it will be the same as the Akurate as both have the same Katalyst DAC architecture?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, do you guys think that it would be worth having my Linn Klimax DS/3 measured by Amir, or do you think it will be the same as the Akurate as both have the same Katalyst DAC architecture?

I don't know tbh. I am very happy with the upgraded Akurate, was very happy with the non-upgraded one as well... The Klimax should be better, but I am not sure any improvement would be audible (at least on the pure DAC side, which is what Amir measured).

Looking back, I would definitely purchase it again and I expect it to remain the hub of my main system for a long long time: it is rock solid and so versatile... But I am not sure I would purchase it today at the current prices. Linn seems to have gone a bit crazy recently... (and the US prices seem even worse than the European ones). On top of that, I read recently (but can't find the article now and haven't confirmed) that the Akurate would remain available, but only on order. They seem to push the Select more these days.

As far as amps are concerned, I occasionally swap the Linn amp and the Hypex NC400 monoblocks and, on somewhat harder to drive speakers (the Focal), the Hypex sound much better to my ear. As far as I am concerned, unless I upgrade to humongous speakers, I think my future amplification purchases will be more Hypex NC400 unless some better value proposition emerges.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
If you can part with it to be measured then I would definitely have it measured.
Amir has proven that even products from the same brand or series can have wildly different performance.

EVOLVIST

If you can part with it to be measured then I would definitely have it measured.
Amir has proven that even products from the same brand or series can have wildly different performance.

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about it. Amir wants to review it. I got even more curious about the Linn's performance when I plugged the Archel2.5 Pro HP amp into the Linn and used that for playback with my HE1000se cans. I was hearing a lot more music and a lot more micro-detail than I did plugging straight into the Chord DAVE with the same headphones. And I don't think I was hearing artificially accentuated high frequencies that gives the illusion of more detail, because my ears are super sensitive to high frequencies if they are punched to give more "detail." Peaky highs assault me. That's why Sennheiser HD800s are a no go.

So, now I'm curious if this great detail I'm hearing via cans is simply a serendipitous mating of the DAC/Streamer with the amp, or is it just the amp, or what? The Linn KDS/3 has certainly sounded beautiful with microscopic detail with my speakers, leading and trailing edges go on for days...only with cans I'm getting an even better close look if I desire the headphone experience (which isn't that often....but still).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about it. Amir wants to review it. I got even more curious about the Linn's performance when I plugged the Archel2.5 Pro HP amp into the Linn and used that for playback with my HE1000se cans. I was hearing a lot more music and a lot more micro-detail than I did plugging straight into the Chord DAVE with the same headphones. And I don't think I was hearing artificially accentuated high frequencies that gives the illusion of more detail, because my ears are super sensitive to high frequencies if they are punched to give more "detail." Peaky highs assault me. That's why Sennheiser HD800s are a no go.

So, now I'm curious if this great detail I'm hearing via cans is simply a serendipitous mating of the DAC/Streamer with the amp, or is it just the amp, or what? The Linn KDS/3 has certainly sounded beautiful with microscopic detail with my speakers, leading and trailing edges go on for days...only with cans I'm getting an even better close look if I desire the headphone experience (which isn't that often....but still).
Then you answered your own question! Send it in :)

EVOLVIST

I don't know tbh. I am very happy with the upgraded Akurate, was very happy with the non-upgraded one as well... The Klimax should be better, but I am not sure any improvement would be audible (at least on the pure DAC side, which is what Amir measured).

Okay, so I spoke to my buddy who is very much on the inside with Linn. He surprised me when he wrote that Linn is aware of @amirm measurements. Well, I guess it's not too surprising; the audio side of the internet is a small world.

Anyway, I bought my KDS/3 in 2017 when the only way you can get the Katalyst DAC was in the TOTL Klimax series. Since then, however, Linn has been putting the Katalyst DAC in their other lines, which, much to my chagrin doesn't make my Klimax the TOTL any longer, except for the build quality of the chassis and the "special feet." Otherwise, he assured me that any measurements from the Katalyst output will be the same across all models. Every upgraded model got the exact same Katalyst engine, down to the outputs. So one Katalyst engine should measure exactly the same as any other Katalyst engine. There is no difference in the guts. Just the box is different.

Lucky for me that I didn't pay full price for the KDS/3. :)

Does that make sense?

Kempeu

Ok.. let’s say now 2nd hand Linn Akurate DS/1(without katalyst) is similar price with brand new Topping D90 MQA Ver. Which one would you ppl choose?
Note: Linn ADS/1(without katalyst)’s DAC chip is Wolfson WM8741 x 2 (Katalyst one is AK4497), whereas D90 latest AK4499~

leManu

That piece is a DAC/streamer/preamp of excellent quality with HDMI input on top. Linn reliability is well established and is known to last for decades without issues. In the used market they are now selling under 4K. In my book that's a really good price if you like to keep your equipment for a long time.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Ok.. let’s say now 2nd hand Linn Akurate DS/1(without katalyst) is similar price with brand new Topping D90 MQA Ver. Which one would you ppl choose?
Note: Linn ADS/1(without katalyst)’s DAC chip is Wolfson WM8741 x 2 (Katalyst one is AK4497), whereas D90 latest AK4499~
Remember that Akurate DS/1 and dsm are different. The katalyst dac ( dsm ) uses AKM dacs like in this review, and the Akurate DS/1 uses two Wolfson 8741 that measures worse , but some Linn enthusiast like the sound from that dac slightly better . One has to listen. And another important thing : the Akurate dsm katalyst has a better digital preamp with volumeregulation - better sounding than Akurate DS/1 at this, If one will use those without a separate preamp.
Akurate DS/1 has no HDMI inputs or spdif input.

Any digital product regardless of brand can break anytime after 10 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom