• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of KORG DS-DAC-100

rando

@NewfieKayakHead For starters I'd recommend dl'ing AudioGate 4.5 if you are still using 4.0 or lower. Better than average chance the included driver package for your device will want to be reinstalled afterwards. Let me know if this proves a hurdle too far and I'll send you a direct link for your OS.

Second, I took a few minutes to load native DSD64 and DSD128 files + upsample a PCM file to DSD128. All of them were high DR with peaks safely mastered to avoid clipping. Within AudioGate adding 6 db to these files would've brought them uncomfortably close to clipping.

I suspect you are under the impression using the normalize function, through menu setting or button on the Edit/Record screen, is the same as a DSD specific option to add 6 db gain. Leave this, DC Cut, Phono EQ, Invert Phase, etc alone.

The easiest manner of accomplishing this is selecting all files and setting a 6 db gain in the batch edit song option. Then monitor the level meter for clipping carefully. Honestly, the best answer with this program is turning up the volume and leaving gain alone. An even better answer is using a full featured player software if you are tempted to use the highly watered down pro editing features for anything but recording. ;)

NewfieKayakHead

@NewfieKayakHead For starters I'd recommend dl'ing AudioGate 4.5 if you are still using 4.0 or lower. Better than average chance the included driver package for your device will want to be reinstalled afterwards. Let me know if this proves a hurdle too far and I'll send you a direct link for your OS.

Second, I took a few minutes to load native DSD64 and DSD128 files + upsample a PCM file to DSD128. All of them were high DR with peaks safely mastered to avoid clipping. Within AudioGate adding 6 db to these files would've brought them uncomfortably close to clipping.

I suspect you are under the impression using the normalize function, through menu setting or button on the Edit/Record screen, is the same as a DSD specific option to add 6 db gain. Leave this, DC Cut, Phono EQ, Invert Phase, etc alone.

The easiest manner of accomplishing this is selecting all files and setting a 6 db gain in the batch edit song option. Then monitor the level meter for clipping carefully. Honestly, the best answer with this program is turning up the volume and leaving gain alone. An even better answer is using a full featured player software if you are tempted to use the highly watered down pro editing features for anything but recording. ;)

NewfieKayakHead

Hi Rando,

I followed your advice and upgraded to 4.5 from my 4.0.2 from the Japanese site. BTW, do you know the differences between 4.5 and 4.0.2?

As far as the 6 dB gain, I think that you are right. Leave the normalization out, and use a higher analog gain to boost the gain. I am using a DAC100 driving an Arcam rHead via XLR connects. It works well for my HD600 headphones. It has now enough voltage for listening to classical recording.

Thank you,

Siu

rando

I followed your advice and upgraded to 4.5 from my 4.0.2 from the Japanese site. BTW, do you know the differences between 4.5 and 4.0.2?

Previous versions of AG would not recognize 32bit floating DXD files for playback. There were numerous other visible tweaks that may or may not impact your use of the program. Many of them dealing with the recording and editing functionality.

Under the hood they obviously did some updating to better work with W10. An updated and stable version of a program you use is not a bad thing even if the changes are subtly beneficial.

seanhyatt

I have this and it is better then the DAC in my Marantz AV7702MK2. I would say about 15% better. Better soundstage, fuller sound and warmth. I hope to compare to other products soon.

seanhyatt

I am using it as a DAC from my Mac book pro using Audivana. MAC/Audivana>USB Korg DAC>RCA inputs of Marantz AV7702MK2 (digitalized front inputs not 7.1 non-digitalized on back)>Carver AV706x Amps>KEF Q900 fronts

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I am using it as a DAC from my Mac book pro using Audivana. MAC/Audivana>USB Korg DAC>RCA inputs of Marantz AV7702MK2 (digitalized front inputs not 7.1 non-digitalized on back)>Carver AV706x Amps>KEF Q900 fronts
Ah okay, yes it works fine as a DAC. The headphone output is kinda anemic though

Interference

I scored a 100m for quite a convenient price (~ 60 EUR). I think it will be nice as "minimalistic" desktop solution.

I wanted to go for the Topping NX4 DSD, surely better, but the Korg has the line output on the back, which is where it's supposed to be for this kind of use.

Saidera

On CS4398's option to use either DSD Processor or direct DSD pathways

When it is programmed to be direct, it does not use DSD Processor for the volume control and 50 kHz filter. It does not use the multibit delta sigma modulator. It goes directly to the MUX/DAC or switched capacitor filter.

Is the DSD Processor now the undisputed best method of DSD playback?

Which pathway is better? DSD or PCM pathways?

PuX

Does the Korg work with simple plug and play on a modern Mac?
Haven't used mine for a while, but I'd say no.
It requires drivers and to get DSD playing you need a Korg application. For other formats you can use other players.

Barry_Sound

Haven't used mine for a while, but I'd say no.
It requires drivers and to get DSD playing you need a Korg application. For other formats you can use other players.

Tried today. Guess what, no plug & play and the drivers from Korg get a "outdated" warning on a current Mac. The thing is dead if you are a Mac user. Ridiculous @Korg

akuasleep

This is not true because there is a trick you can use. You load an older version of MACOS (I installed Yosemite). Then KORG drivers. Then upgrade to Monterey and it works!

Barry_Sound

This is not true because there is a trick you can use. You load an older version of MACOS (I installed Yosemite). Then KORG drivers. Then upgrade to Monterey and it works!
That makes no sense. What do I do if Monterey is already running? Downgrade the whole Mac for KORG drivers?

Top Bottom