• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Klipsch PowerGate DAC & Amp

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yamaha made a gross miscalculation in ergonomics for this amplifier .... used an encoder, but did not make a screen, the current level of the volume control can only be seen in the application for the phone, LOL)))

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus has the same issue, except there's no means to view the volume (apart from a flashing LED when you reach max). I haven't really found it to be a huge issue, although if you have kids in the house who are liable to twiddle the knob when you're not looking, maybe it's more of an issue.

landco

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus has the same issue, except there's no means to view the volume (apart from a flashing LED when you reach max). I haven't really found it to be a huge issue, although if you have kids in the house who are liable to twiddle the knob when you're not looking, maybe it's more of an issue.

There are standards in audio technology that cannot be violated ... Yamaha was able to do this :)

Unclevanya

Yamaha made a gross miscalculation in ergonomics for this amplifier .... used an encoder, but did not make a screen, the current level of the volume control can only be seen in the application for the phone, LOL)))
That's one of the few bits that make me annoyed about my Yamaha wxa-50.

Btw the Klipsch is back to $179 on Amazon it had drifted up to $199 for a while. The non amplified Gate PlayFi endpoint is $89. I'm not the biggest fan of PlayFi but that's a low price for a streamer.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The bottom and back panel are sheet metal. Top, sides, and front are plastic.
Bumping this thread to see what you all think of the Powergate after more than half of a year. Is it still a great buy sub $200? I'm torn between getting something like this (and I do have the option to connect via ethernet thanks to an unfinished basement) or getting a cheap A/B like a yamaha and a separate streamer. Any issues with the Clas D or longevity since it's only a 1-year warranty anyway?

marco07

Bumping this thread to see what you all think of the Powergate after more than half of a year. Is it still a great buy sub $200? I'm torn between getting something like this (and I do have the option to connect via ethernet thanks to an unfinished basement) or getting a cheap A/B like a yamaha and a separate streamer. Any issues with the Clas D or longevity since it's only a 1-year warranty anyway?

I've only had mine since Dec '19 and have zero issues. No hissing, bought the fans to keep it cool and since I use a Chromecast Audio I haven't had to mess around with the wi-fi features. It has plenty of inputs for me ( Optical for CCA, BT, phono for turntable and AUX for TV/PS4 audio) and plenty of power to drive my Jamo C93 II (6ohm 88db) bookshelf speakers. I'm pretty happy for the $160 I spent.

marco07

I've only had mine since Dec '19 and have zero issues. No hissing, bought the fans to keep it cool and since I use a Chromecast Audio I haven't had to mess around with the wi-fi features. It has plenty of inputs for me ( Optical for CCA, BT, phono for turntable and AUX for TV/PS4 audio) and plenty of power to drive my Jamo C93 II (6ohm 88db) bookshelf speakers. I'm pretty happy for the $160 I spent.

Well, I spoke too soon or shot myself in the foot :(
Since I wrote this post I now have 2 recurring issues: first, there's a buzz coming from my speaker's tweeters. I disconnected all the inputs, switched power outlets and cords but the buzz remains so I'm pretty sure it's coming from the amp. It's not a loud noise, I can only hear it about 2 feet away from the speaker. I don't recollect having this noise before, but it's possible it could have been there all along and I didn't notice until a couple of weeks ago. I emailed Klipsch about it.
Second, the powering off thing/feature has reared it's ugly head. For about the first 4-5 weeks of continuous use I had not encountered this problem. But in the last week I now have it powering itself off from the phono and AUX inputs constantly. I haven't checked the optical input but I will tonight or tomorrow. I'm not sure what caused this change since I'm still not using the wifi/network connections so it's not like an update might have changed its behavior.

Any ideas from the forum members?

xtracrispy123

hi all, I just had a thought regarding this amp's major design flaw, the auto-shutoff.
I noticed that it has alexa integration, so perhaps we can use that to send stay-awake signals from the cloud?

I don't have a unit to try this on, but perhaps:
1) create an alexa / play-fi routine to turn the amp on
2) find a way to schedule it every 10-15 minutes: IFTTT has a 15-minute interval datetime trigger. The native alexa app only allows daily unless I'm mistaken

BillG

Major Contributor
If anyone cares to bypass/upgrade the DAC on these for less than $50USD, feed it analog via an Apple dongle for PC playback and a Chromecast Audio for streaming. Both measure better than its internal DAC, and the improvement will be noticeable.

I've done this for my own desktop system, with the CCA driving the Phono input, set to Line by way, and the Apple dongle driving the AUX. The latter appears to be rather immune to the EMI generated by a PC; With the former, I've used a cable with a ferrite ring as it was picking a bit of interface that was noticeable at full volume with no music playing - the ring took care of it.

Peen

Question about the AUX input and RCA input.

I have a Topping E30 DAC --> PW Link --> Klipsch PowerGate. I can either run the AUX input or RCA input on the PowerGate. Are there any perceivable sound differences between the two inputs?

To run the RCA input, I have to select "line" on back of amp and use Phono input.

witchdoctor

I have been using this integrated amp for a year and every time I flip it on it just punches way above the $199 I paid for it. So much flexibility from the connections, the preamp out, the remote and volume control for the sub. I have been running it with the RCA in from my Onkyo DAP and it just sings. I am thinking about getting a Helm Bolt dac/amp straight out from my PC USB port and make it MQA friendly.

vash2695

GUYS I THINK I DID IT

I too was frustrated with the Powergate shutting off. I actually had another one given to me because someone got fed up with it turning off even while in use. So after seeing Samgabs post on page 12 I decided to see if I could recreate what he did and managed to stumble upon it on the first try.

I plugged the Powergate in while holding the input button and released once I saw PHONO start flashing. After a few seconds the device will restart into AUX mode. From there it will no longer respond to power off, mute, or change input (but does respond to the remote), but it also will not turn off. I tested this successfully on both of my units, each running the latest firmware, and they have been on for a couple hours so far. They also turn on automatically when unplugged and plugged back in, though I'm not sure how long the setting will hold without power. I believe this is a store demo mode.

Please share this! This is a great amp that I'm sure a lot of people have sitting around collecting dust and this may save it.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GUYS I THINK I DID IT....

Welcome vash2695, thanks for joining the forum to post this. Store Demo mode makes sense. Do all of the remote control functions still work.....for changing input and the like? Very helpful.

vash2695

Welcome vash2695, thanks for joining the forum to post this. Store Demo mode makes sense. Do all of the remote control functions still work.....for changing input and the like? Very helpful.

I believe so, yes. I verified that I can change input, and that the selected input remains after powering off and back on with the remote. I did not verify if the selected input remains after unplugging the unit. I also verified that the unit does not turn off after inputs have been switched and the "demo" mode remained active after several hours of being unplugged.

BillG

Major Contributor
Please share this! This is a great amp that I'm sure a lot of people have sitting around collecting dust and this may save it.

Thanks for sharing this discovery. I find it interesting that the unit no longer responds to the front panel buttons with this mode enabled, but it does make sense when running a demo in-store for casual shoppers not to be able to mess with it.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor

I've just discovered a problem with demo mode: the unit no longer responds to volume changes via the front panel and the remote. Again, this makes sense for an in-store demo, but it defeats our purposes as end-users... :facepalm:

vash2695

I've just discovered a problem with demo mode: the unit no longer responds to volume changes via the front panel and the remote. Again, this makes sense for an in-store demo, but it defeats our purposes as end-users... :facepalm:
I just tested this again on both of my units and volume functions properly with both the remote and volume knob. Only the mute button on the device itself does not work. Also the setting remained active after being unplugged overnight.

I should also mention that when entering this mode, there are two options. I don't know what the distinction is but when PHONO begins flashing, you can press the input button again and it will toggle to AUX flashing. You might try that on your unit to see if there is any difference.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I just looked connected this device to my ethernet network and on my local area name I see the vendor Hansong Tehnologies has a nasty typo :facepalm:
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 10.38.17 AM.png

samgab

GUYS I THINK I DID IT

I too was frustrated with the Powergate shutting off. I actually had another one given to me because someone got fed up with it turning off even while in use. So after seeing Samgabs post on page 12 I decided to see if I could recreate what he did and managed to stumble upon it on the first try.

I plugged the Powergate in while holding the input button and released once I saw PHONO start flashing. After a few seconds the device will restart into AUX mode. From there it will no longer respond to power off, mute, or change input (but does respond to the remote), but it also will not turn off. I tested this successfully on both of my units, each running the latest firmware, and they have been on for a couple hours so far. They also turn on automatically when unplugged and plugged back in, though I'm not sure how long the setting will hold without power. I believe this is a store demo mode.

Very delayed response, I know, because I haven't been using my PowerGate for the last couple of years; but I recently dug it out and started using it again, and can confirm. This method does indeed solve the auto-off issue. Cheers!

Top Bottom