• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Klipsch PowerGate DAC & Amp

SEKLEM

I guess so. We are trying to figure out how to turn off the network while the Powergate is in stand by (foe those of us that just want to use the Powergate as a power amp). The power supply is the culprit of this heat, and the small enclosure doesn't help. I still haven't received mine. It should be here this week.

By the way, I asked Amir when he was testing the Powergate, but now that others also have it, do any of you have opened up the chassis to check the class D amps being used? It's still a mystery.

Looks proprietary. Unless someone recognizes this arrangement.
Powergate-Generale-02.jpg

BillG

Major Contributor
"Also there's a light on the back of the unit near the "wifi setup" button that constantly flashes whether the unit is on or in standby. I never setup the network app so perhaps the annoying light would go away if it's setup, perhaps someone can chime in about that. The unit will try to connect to bluetooth automatically even when in standby and it will wake up."

The Play-Fi app needs to run, and there's a firmware update that I'd highly recommend installing, prior to first use; I suspect your Bluetooth issue might be resolved by it as well. As for Bluetooth here, I've not had that issue when my PowerGate is in network standby, as it's unreachable to none but the Play-Fi app when in that mode.

Edit: it's actually the Klipsch Utility app that needs to be executed first to install the firmware update.

Last edited:

estuardo4

I bought one after reading the review. I hooked it up to some Peachtree Audio DS4.5s (minor hiss from speakers, but these have a very low efficiency rating) in the bedroom and a few things about this unit bother me. One, the unit makes a minor hissing sound (power supply maybe) that I can hear since the unit is so close to my bed. Also there's a light on the back of the unit near the "wifi setup" button that constantly flashes whether the unit is on or in standby. I never setup the network app so perhaps the annoying light would go away if it's setup, perhaps someone can chime in about that. The unit will try to connect to bluetooth automatically even when in standby and it will wake up. This may be convenient for some, however I found it annoying when I just wanted to watch a video on youtube. The Powergate lacks a balance control. For the setup I have it's necessary to have.

Heat builds up on the bottom of the unit. It never got hot enough to cause me any major concern, but I don't run it to hard. Perhaps it will get much hotter when played loud for a considerable amount of time. The Powergate does not have an internal fan.

I'll be returning the Powergate. I had hoped it would be a suitable replacement for the B&K AV30.2 I've been using with a Logitech bluetooth adaptor. For me the B&K, Logitech combo is more convenient for me and the amplifier has indepedant gain adjustment for left and right channels allowing me to balance the sound coming to me from the side of my bed. I can't think of another place in my apartment where I could use the Powergate.

I don't like judging other people's likes and dislikes or decisions they make, but, based on what you wrote, I'm guessing your B&K draws more power and you don't have it next to your bed at night. And if you apply the update, maybe the bluetooth problems get resolved. And about the balance, yes, it is a major issue as I understand what you are trying to obtain. I don't know if you can change the balance within the Klipsch app.

SEKLEM

I don't like judging other people's likes and dislikes or decisions they make, but, based on what you wrote, I'm guessing your B&K draws more power and you don't have it next to your bed at night. And if you apply the update, maybe the bluetooth problems get resolved. And about the balance, yes, it is a major issue as I understand what you are trying to obtain. I don't know if you can change the balance within the Klipsch app.

The B&K is next to my bed. It's class D (has an ICE 50ASX2 inside). The B&K is actually smaller and runs cooler than the Klipsch. It also has auto signal detect. The Logitech is on a switch, so when I want if off, it's off.

The Bluetooth thing seems more like a "feature" than an error. It's just an annoying feature for me. It's probably very convenient for most people.

I'm not advocating against the Powergate. It definitely could be very useful for other applications, and the extra power doesn't hurt either. For my application I do not need a lot of power.

estuardo4

The B&K is next to my bed. It's class D (has an ICE 50ASX2 inside). The B&K is actually smaller and runs cooler than the Klipsch. It also has auto signal detect. The Logitech is on a switch, so when I want if off, it's off.

The Bluetooth thing seems more like a "feature" than an error. It's just an annoying feature for me. It's probably very convenient for most people.

I'm not advocating against the Powergate. It definitely could be very useful for other applications, and the extra power doesn't hurt either. For my application I do not need a lot of power.

Sorry for my ignorance. When I read B&K, I still think of the A/B monsters of yore. I have one of their 90s 5 channel amp. Sounds great, but it draws too much power. That's why I'm interested on Class D amps. That, and price.

SEKLEM

Sorry for my ignorance. When I read B&K, I still think of the A/B monsters of yore. I have one of their 90s 5 channel amp. Sounds great, but it draws too much power. That's why I'm interested on Class D amps. That, and price.

I have a couple of those as well. Mine aren't multichannel monsters, two of the 125.2 class A/B amplifiers.

Bones

Thanks for this Amir!

We now have very useful performance comparisons of streaming amplifiers, in the Sonos Amp, Amazon Link Amp (I see your owner review is up on Amazon), and this Powergate. This may be an important new product category, with emphasis on ease of use and good-enough performance that lets normal folks enjoy the benefits of high quality passive speakers.

For this target audience, features and ease of use are probably most important. The Klipsch Powergate is particularly interesting in that it comes with a remote control (so you are not forced to use your phone), and because you can stream anything from its analog or digital inputs to other Play-Fi compatible devices, including the currently $33 Klipsch Gateway.

Most Play-Fi devices, included these Klipsch, and the Paradigm PW-Amp and PW-Link, can now be used with Alexa Echo devices for voice control. Since the Amazon Link Amp also requires an Echo device for voice control, and does not allow streaming from direct analog digital sources or come with a remote, the Powergate has some streaming advantages.

I hope you will test the similar Paradigm PW-Amp which is discounted to $225 direct (perhaps less if you make an offer to Paradigm on their eBay listing), placing it between the Powergate and the Link Amp in price. It seems to be similar in power, but has only a single analog input and no remote. It does have rather nice Room EQ built in.

Paradigm eBay accepted $200.00 USD offer shipping included 4/28.

BillG

Major Contributor

Your amp wasn't setup properly via the Play-Fi app, as that is not normal behavior for it to attempt to pair to other devices when in standby mode... :facepalm:

SEKLEM

Your amp wasn't setup properly via the Play-Fi app, as that is not normal behavior for it to attempt to pair to other devices when in standby mode... :facepalm:

Interesting. In any case it had other shortcomings as well such as lack of balance control and the hissing from inside the chassis.

BillG

Major Contributor
Interesting. In any case it had other shortcomings as well such as lack of balance control and the hissing from inside the chassis.

Balance control is typically handled by one's actual digital media player these days.

As for hissing? I've heard none of this from my unit, even when placing my ear directly on the air grills at its sides.

Either your unit was not setup properly by you (you've indicated as much) which would include the firmware update, or you've got a bad one with manufacturing defects. However, I strongly suspect it's the former.

SEKLEM

Balance control is typically handled by one's actual digital media player these days.

As for hissing? I've heard none of this from my unit, even when placing my ear directly on the air grills at its sides.

Either your unit was not setup properly by you (you've indicated as much) which would include the firmware update, or you've got a bad one with manufacturing defects. However, I strongly suspect it's the former.

There's most definitely a hiss coming from the inside of the unit, I don't think settings are going to fix that.

It's been made clear by me I never setup the network, therefore no Play-Fi app. It's quite possible some of the features I expected to have access to from the remote are accessible through the app and it's also possible the other "problems" I was having could have been corrected with the update. I don't know if I can address the balance issue through the iPhone with the Play-Fi app or some other app. Also not sure if that would apply to other inputs on the Powergate.

I just described my experience with the unit as I saw it. I'm glad if these issues can be resolved with the update, which would be very useful to someone else.

nuxv

I guess so. We are trying to figure out how to turn off the network while the Powergate is in stand by (foe those of us that just want to use the Powergate as a power amp). The power supply is the culprit of this heat, and the small enclosure doesn't help. I still haven't received mine. It should be here this week.
I snagged a $25 smart power strip from Amazon (wifi enabled, Smart Life app compatible). Has 4 power outlets and a bank of usb ports, each of which can be turned on and off individually. It's both Amazon Alexa and Google Home compatible...I've got the Powergate hooked up to one of the outlets and can turn it off and on by voice. A cheap and handy fix for the power draw while "off" issue.

estuardo4

I snagged a $25 smart power strip from Amazon (wifi enabled, Smart Life app compatible). Has 4 power outlets and a bank of usb ports, each of which can be turned on and off individually. It's both Amazon Alexa and Google Home compatible...I've got the Powergate hooked up to one of the outlets and can turn it off and on by voice. A cheap and handy fix for the power draw while "off" issue.

Thank you. Could you please share the link?

nuxv

Thank you. Could you please share the link?
sure...there's a variety of models and brands, but i got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VRH9WP/

So you can turn the entire strip on/off the strip using power button, or by using the Smart Life app (which allows individual switch control) or by voice with alexa/google home integration...again with individual switch control by saying "turn off switch 1" etc.

If you want you can even rename and call a switch "Powergate" in the app, and google home will recognize that...haven't gotten alexa to do that yet tho. Oh, and it's 2.4ghz only.

SEKLEM

If you’re curious. This is the B&K next to a Onkyo CR-325 mini CD/Receiver.
AB87CFE7-B3D2-43D1-950B-B363BAA74476.jpeg

adam2434

I like nuxv's smart power strip idea.

I came up with a different solution because I wanted something compact and physically close the the Powergate.

My use of the Powergate is unique, I'm sure. I have the fan, Powergate, and speakers (NHT SB3) mounted to a board for portability. "System on a board" is what I call it. Think of it as a pretty darn high performance portable system that can be carried where needed (like the garage a few times when I was working on my regular garage speakers) or boxed up for vacation travel. I also use the Powergate to test other speakers I pick up and work on. With the Powergate's built-in Aptx bluetooth, it sounds very good with bluetooth, when necessary.

Anyway...my power solution is a Belkin travel surge protector with USB ports (grey box) and a simple switch (small white box found at local store). With the flip of the switch, I can power on/off the Powergate, fan, and CCA - plus have surge protection.

20190429_172322.jpg20190429_172042.jpg20181021_162131.jpg

estuardo4

Buyers beware!

I was reading an update to the thread of the Powergate at audiocircle.com, and one user contacted Klipsch directly asking about the warranty, and Klipsch answered that the Powergate's warranty for the model sold at $150 at Amazon was not covered by Klipsch. :eek:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162664.msg1740831#msg1740831

Too good to be true this deal. Let's hope mine works fine for several years. But it is something to think about before you purchase one.

Top Bottom