• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Klipsch PowerGate DAC & Amp

BillG

Major Contributor
I should have said I also want a subwoofer output.
But those suggestions are great, I may try one out and find a less convent way to get 2.1
If anyone has another well regarded suggestion please let me know.

The only one I'm suggesting is the V200, since I happen to actually own it.

By the way, the headphone output on it can be used to drive a subwoofer since it's synchronous with and active during the speaker outputs... :cool:

scotto541

That's a good point, @estuardo4 .
I don't quite understand the ARC DPS. If I only buy the $225 PW-Amp, do I have ARC? What about a microphone?

@BillG, there wouldn't be any sound quality issues or volume/voltage mismatch issues using the headphones out jack to the RCA inputs on the subwoofer?

scotto541

I'm going to try and use windows Task Scheduler to play a sound file very 10 minutes to keep the PowerGate awake.
UPDATE: That didn't work. The file is a short (0.5 second) sound effect, it plays every 5 minutes and the PowerGate still falls asleep. What would it take to keep it awake in USB mode? A longer sound file? I'll try that next...

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm going to try and use windows Task Scheduler to play a sound file very 10 minutes to keep the PowerGate awake.
UPDATE: That didn't work. The file is a short (0.5 second) sound effect, it plays every 5 minutes and the PowerGate still falls asleep. What would it take to keep it awake in USB mode? A longer sound file?

Continuously streaming an Internet Radio station, or playing music on repeat, via a media player will do the trick. Yeah, it's not ideal for your situation, but it'll keep the PowerGate from going into standby mode.

If that's not suitable for you, you could always use the desktop's internal speaker to receive notifications when the PowerGate is off. It won't be nearly as loud, though... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I don't quite understand the ARC DPS. If I only buy the $225 PW-Amp, do I have ARC? What about a microphone?

@BillG, there wouldn't be any sound quality issues or volume/voltage mismatch issues using the headphones out jack to the RCA inputs on the subwoofer?

I've no idea. However, the manufacturer states that it's possible with the headphone out. So I would hope that they've addressed that in the design... :cool:

scotto541

I set windows Task Scheduler to play an 80 second song every 5 minutes and that kept the PowerGate awake all night. I can likely make a 60 second file of no volume or 25KHz tone, I'll try that and update this post...
Still though, I'm leaning towards returning it and going with one of the 3 suggestions form earlier.

UPDATE:
I used Windows 10 builtin in Task Scheduler. When playing a short sound file it would not stay awake. I have it playing a silent 80 second wave file (created in Audacity) every 15 minutes and it stays awake now.

Last edited:

scooter

Forum Donor
That's too bad. It's not workable for me the way i want to use it.
Now I need to find a USB DAC & desktop Amp combo for under $200 total. I never could find a well recommended desktop amp for around $100 (to pair with a Tone Board or D30).
Also, thanks for taking the time to chime in an help out, it really is appreciated and helpful.
What about Onkyo TX-8220? It has a built-in DAC and digital inputs, also sub out, under 200$.
Another option could be Yamaha R-S202BL matched with Chromecast Audio or Topping D10 for example. This doesn't have a sub pre-out but speakers can be wired via sub with built-in crossover.

Toma

OK guys firs post here and needing your help.

In the beginning thanks for the great forum and the amount of knowledge you guys combine here. My question is very simple but it seems I couldn't find the correct answer. I posted this on Amazon questions and Klipsch forum without a response at this time.

Here it goes:

Do you guys know what's the use of the two RJ45 Ethernet ports on the back of the Powergate, there is an "In" and "Out" ports? There is nothing in the manual.

I just set up the unit and it works very well, except that the WiFi disconnects sporadically when playing music from my laptop. I upgraded with the latest firmware and software available. I even moved the router next to the Powergate, the router is on the Klipsch's list of approved routers and it's also updated with the latest firmware. It would cut off for 2-3 seconds every half an hour to an hour, very annoying. It actually gets worse the more time I listen the more frequent the cut offs get. I could listen music for an hour without any problems and eventually it starts disconnecting more and more frequently. I's like you are running the track and the further you run the more tired you get, I have no explanation why.

So I was wondering if I could use a wired networking to connect the Powergate to my home network and be able to see it with my WiFi devices. That's the way I use my network printer for example.

Otherwise I like the unit and the sound quality is very good as far as my requirements are. I am using a pair of Klipsch speakers and a sub and need no more at this point.

I would appreciate any help regarding further tips on improving the connectivity of the unit.

PS I'm listening Lenny Kravitz without any cutoffs at the moment and would be nice to expect no glitches, but...

BillG

Major Contributor
So I was wondering if I could use a wired networking to connect the Powergate to my home network and be able to see it with my WiFi devices. That's the way I use my network printer for example.

From the pdf version of the manual:

Screenshot_2019-05-28-17-01-52.png

estuardo4

The PWAmp includes a microphone to use and configure ARC DSP. You can also do it with your mic on your phone after you install the app. But several people have claimed that the included mic is of better quality.

estuardo4

I set windows Task Scheduler to play an 80 second song every 5 minutes and that kept the PowerGate awake all night. I can likely make a 60 second file of no volume or 25KHz tone, I'll try that and update this post...
Still though, I'm leaning towards returning it and going with one of the 3 suggestions form earlier.

UPDATE:
I used Windows 10 builtin in Task Scheduler. When playing a short sound file it would not stay awake. I have it playing a silent 80 second wave file (created in Audacity) every 15 minutes and it stays awake now.

Although the Powergate is a fine amp, you shouldn't be doing all these hoops just to keeping it alive. It is a bad design and they'd should be an on/off option.

You can try this youtube video of 10 hours of silence. My guess is that people did this especially for equipment like the Powergate.

BillG

Major Contributor
It is a bad design and they'd should be an on/off option.

It's my understanding that it's done to adhere to EU energy usage requirements.

I personally don't find it to be a nuisance, and I actually appreciate the feature for when I forget to turn the amp off. However, if someone is relying on it to receive audio notifications from an otherwise idle computer, I can understand how that would be an issue for that particular usage case.

Toma

From the pdf version of the manual:

View attachment 26787

Thanks, I've seen that. But my main question was/is, would I be able to set up the powergate to a network using this two ports? Or are they design for a single computer connected to the device, and if yes, what would the advantage and the process would be?

I'm waiting for a couple of more ethernet cables to start experimenting. However, I haven't seen anyone in any reviews discussing the use of the wired ports and the only set up of the device in the manual is directed through the WiFi network, which in my experience is a bit flaky.

Here is an article by the way of the design flows of the Play=Fi system. I think that's the root of all the wireless connectivity problems people experience.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/dts-play-fi-has-major-design-flaws/

BillG

Major Contributor
Thanks, I've seen that. But my main question was/is, would I be able to set up the powergate to a network using this two ports?

I've not attempted to do so with mine, as I'm happy with a Chromecast Audio I've attached to its optical input, and I rarely use its Play-Fi facility as a result. I was invested in the Chromecast framework some months prior to purchasing the PowerGate, hence my reluctance to forgo it.

As for the supposed design flaw within Play-Fi, I thought that as well upon my initial review of the PowerGate. However, I've come to view my assessment as erroneous: it operates just like Apple's AirPlay and various DLNA/UPnP implementations I've used, in that the stream initiator acts as a gateway to the endpoint. Yes, this is different from how Chromecast functions (Chromecast fetches the stream independently of the initiator) and I do prefer Chromecast's ease of use and battery savings on mobile devices. But flawed? No, I don't believe so... :cool:

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm waiting for a couple of more ethernet cables to start experimenting. However, I haven't seen anyone in any reviews discussing the use of the wired ports and the only set up of the device in the manual is directed through the WiFi network, which in my experience is a bit flaky.
I seem to recall trying to configure it using Ethernet and it not working and having to setup with Wifi. But my memory is a bit hazy on this. :)

BillG

Major Contributor
the only set up of the device in the manual is directed through the WiFi network, which in my experience is a bit flaky.

I just thought of something that might reduce the stuttering you're experiencing when using Play-Fi from your laptop: perhaps go into Task Manager and raise the priority of the Play-Fi application... :cool:

Toma

I just thought of something that might reduce the stuttering you're experiencing when using Play-Fi from your laptop: perhaps go into Task Manager and raise the priority of the Play-Fi application... :cool:
Thanks for the priority tip. I am experimenting now, Play-Fi on high priority to see if it's going to make any difference and I will let you know.

I also have a Bose SoundTouch system that was very buggy when they first released it. It took them many months to figured it out with multiple software updates, but now it's a very stable system using my WiFi. Hopping that the Play-Fi would get more stable with future firmware and software releases.

Just started stuttering again as I was typing that. This time was more like a clean cut off of the sound and restarted in a few seconds. I will keep troubleshooting. I already ordered a Chromcast Audio and will try it as well.

Last edited:

Toma

OK I set up the priority in Task Manger to Real Time and it's much better now. I experienced one cutoff for a second or two in more than an hour of play. Prior to that it would stutter randomly which was very annoying. Excellent advice, thanks again! Sound is perfect using a pair of Klipsch R-41M and a Reference R-10SW subwoofer.

estuardo4

I seem to recall trying to configure it using Ethernet and it not working and having to setup with Wifi. But my memory is a bit hazy on this. :)

You had a cold when you were measuring this amp. And throwing a party for your Patreon donors and on the verge of the Pink Panthers' strike. We all understand that you have no recollection of this :p

Top Bottom