• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of JDS The Element DAC and Headphone Amp

Darwin

I replied to a comment that stated it as fact and said it was in another post when it wasn't. I am quite familiar with their site and all their blog entries and have an e-mail out to them already asking this among other questions.

Last edited:

Darwin

Amir since you have measured both the Element and the El Dac what are your thoughts on the separates vs just getting the Element?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir since you have measured both the Element and the El Dac what are your thoughts on the separates vs just getting the Element?
I would just get the combo and be done with it. :)

Darwin

Here is the reply from John at JDS Labs.

"Yes, EL Amp is the same amplifier as Element. I recommend Element if you will only listen via USB. EL DAC is preferred if you also require optical and/or coaxial inputs."

Darwin

I also asked if he was saying I would not hear a difference between the two dacs. He said this;
"Yes, both are audibly transparent. EL DAC enables higher sampling rates and provide additional inputs."​
It is unlikely I will use anything but USB but I may want higher sampling rates. If I like the El Dac and El AMP as much as I expect I'll order an Element to keep in my office at work to be used with Tidal and an HD6XX.
Its pretty nice that he is being honest about the differences even though I might have just gotten an Element instead and spent less.

Swtoby

Its pretty nice that he is being honest about the differences even though I might have just gotten an Element instead and spent less. [INDENT said:
[/INDENT]

I've had a similar experience. They've been straightfoward and honest in what can be expected and don't try to sell you something you don't need. In my case, the more powerful EL Amp over the O2 as I tend to listen at lower volume. Very refreshing. Not the norm in my experience.

Rojaran

What will be better for headphones with low impedance (8-12 ohm)? Arcam or JDS?

Rojaran

rzy wyższych głośności, Arcam rHead stał się głośniejszy, ale * znacznie * bardziej zniekształcony. Mówię tu o poziomach, na których wasze earlobes wibrują. :RE Mimo to wybrałem element JDS Labs, ponieważ mogłem słuchać dowolnego poziomu bez zniekształceń ze wzmacniacza.
Amirm, what do you think will be better for 12 ohms headphones (96 db sensitivity): Arcam rHead or JDS EL Amp / Element?

D

Deleted member 5035

Amir, you mention that the DAC in the Element is not quite a match for top tier DACs. I have an Element - and HiFiMan Arya headphones. If I bought a top tier DAC, and used it with the amplifier section on the Element, would there be an audible difference, or would the difference only show up in sensitive measurements?

And if I wanted to replace the Element, what would be the next step up - one that would be audible?

Top Bottom