• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of JDS Labs EL DAC

sbsj

Note that Amir means the more expensive micro version. The nano has much less power.

Thanks Veri ... its amazing how the micro iDSD Black Label, a usb/battery powered amp , can deliver such power and also measure well ...

gvl

Major Contributor
Fwiw, I use an O2 amp with my HD6XXs, it can drive them to painful levels with the volume knob at slightly past 11am and low-gain setting without noticeable distortion.

Timbo2

Fwiw, I use an O2 amp with my HD6XXs, it can drive them to painful levels with the volume knob at slightly past 11am and low-gain setting without noticeable distortion.

I find it drives my HD6XXs just fine as well. However, you should probably mention the gains you have as the O2 can be customized.

For my O2 I have 1x and 3.5x. Most of the time 1x is fine with a 2V source. However, if you run on battery you can't get much more than 4V with a 2V input test signal without clipping. On my unit that puts the volume between 1 and 2 o'clock on high gain.

So short answer - works about 90% of the time on battery for ear splitting levels, but you will need AC if you want loudness 100% of the time.

gvl

Major Contributor
That's right, I should have added my usage is on AC only. Not sure about the gains, I think mine is the default, got it second hand...

Eddie

Leider nicht, Sie irren sich.
Es ist nur die weise worauf es sichtbar gemacht ist durch das Programm.
Das sind keine 'Transients'.
Im diesen fall sollte die frequenz davon etwas im MHz bereich sein.

Deutsch ist aber nicht mein eigenes Sprache.
Danke für diese Antwort in Deutsch! Know you, I can no good English understand!

Ignorance is one thing. Being arrogant, disrespectful, and insulting on a personal level is another.

Denying the well-known fact that drums and plucked strings contain transients with very high frequencies and making fun of an Emmy Engineering Award winning industry standard in digital audio restoration (yes, that's what RX is) shows a special knowledge.
It is that kind of knowledge that Hawking warned about.

Now please, your turn. Aber bitte auf Deutsch!

Eddie

Good. If you are not prepared to take on board the technical knowledge that is held by members here then you are wasting peoples time. The explanations as to why you are incorrect are very simple and frankly obvious. If you choose dogma instead of learning that's up to you.
This is really funny. Who do you think you are? The forum sheriff? The forum teacher?
You do not decide about if and when someone "qualifies" for this forum.

And dogma? LOL, I work with RX's spectrogram since 2007 and know how to visibly distinguish the attack time of a sound from its sustain time.
You know what dogma really is? Claiming that digital impulses and steps are "invalid" and useless.
See also my answer to the other expert.

Your turn!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
This is really funny. Who do you think you are? The forum sheriff? The forum teacher?
You do not decide about if and when someone "qualifies" for this forum.

And dogma? LOL, I work with RX's spectrogram since 2007 and know how to visibly distinguish the attack time of a sound from its sustain time.
You know what dogma really is? Claiming that digital impulses and steps are "invalid" and useless.
See also my answer to the other expert.

Your turn!
I think you are going to be one for the ignore button.

Ok, please explain how a microphone that doesn't have a response past 40 kHz can capture a sound at 90 kHz?

Please explain how a tape deck that doesn't have a response past 40kHz can record a signal at 90 kHz?

Please explain which instrument was making sound at 90 kHz.

I'm not going to argue with you beyond this post because I know you are incapable of providing any sensible answer.

Now where is that ignore button......

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

mshenay

I actually really love the EL Dac, it sits in my Speaker system actually. An I'm always surprised at how detailed said Speaker system is!

The full chain is actually a Shanling M3S Feed USB into a Singxer F1 USB to Coaxial Converter, Fed Coax into the EL Dac then into an Ol Switcher and finally into my JBL LSR 305 MKii's

An again in all honesty I think it's dandy, looks great sounds even better!

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EL Dac vs D30?

confucius_zero

Anybody?

Veri

Master Contributor
D30 is a better price/performance. Similar enough USB performance. EL DAC is a better over S/PDIF, and doesn't have the ESS IMD Hump(because AKM chip). Aesthetically, I like the EL DAC a lot better than the D30. Both are good DACs.
Doesn't D30 use cirrus logic? No IMD hump :)

Zilfallion

Doesn't D30 use cirrus logic? No IMD hump :)
Hmm, you're right. I confused myself with many of their other products like D50, D10, DX7(Didn't have the hump), DX7S featuring ESS chips. D30 does use Cirrus Logic chip.

confucius_zero

El DAC seems to showcase similar SINAD numbers as ENOG2PRO on SPDIF

EL DAC
index.php

ENOG2PRO
index.php

BoredEric

How would this compare to sdac? I know EL Dac is quite a bit more expensive though. I guess at that price, Topping D50 beats EL dac?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
How would this compare to sdac? I know EL Dac is quite a bit more expensive though. I guess at that price, Topping D50 beats EL dac?
They're near the same, on the condition you're using SPDIF with EL Dac.

index.php

index.php

Top Bottom