• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of iFi iPurifier S/PDIF Digital Audio Filter

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe the Reference Forum could use a post with proper 16 and 24 bit J-Test WAV files...
Yes, we are both thinking of the same thing. Should make a collection and put them in a zip file like Bennetng did to make it easier to download. Let me work on that.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
I have the ones JA uses at Stereophile for 44/16 and 44/24 I have attached. They have the 230 hz LSB toggle included which really isn't needed except for SPDIF inputs.

Attachments

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have the ones JA uses at Stereophile for 44/16 and 44/24 I have attached. They have the 230 hz LSB toggle included which really isn't needed except for SPDIF inputs.
Good deal as that matches the response of the 48 Khz one I posted:

upload_2017-12-29_17-30-59.png

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As Julian Dunn choose/constructed the J-signal especially for the examination of possible jitter effects when using the AES/SPDIF interfaces that of course is the main goal; if it is useful in other circumstances depends.
But anyway, the term J-signal denotes this special constructed signal and using it in that way will hepl to prevent discussions about "real/official" and "not so real/official" J-signals.
Why should we call a pure sine wave of Fs/4 kHz a J-signal as it only leads to confusion?

Superdad

Amir:
The photo of the product in your first post is not of the iPurifier S/PDIF device. It shows a device with a UBS 'B' plug. Perhaps you will want to correct that.

Amir,

I have a Chromecast Audio outputting from Toslink into a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC. From everything I have been reading, the Chromecast puts out a horrendous amount of jitter through its optical output. Thus, the iFi is recommended. Have you taken a look at the results from the output of the ifi being fed by a Chromecast? I just ordered the ifi, and I am wondering if I should cancel it?

Thank you so much for all your work. This is very informative.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Drumsbanger. Welcome to the forum. I do indeed have a Chromecast audio that I will be measuring soon. Didn't have the mini-S/PDIF cable initially but purchased one last week so I am good to go. Will report back soon.

Top Bottom