• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of iBasso DX120 DAP

m8o

Forum Donor
FR response bug aside, those are pretty high levels of upper odd harmonic components making up the THD. I'll stay away.

m8o

Forum Donor
You can hear those harmonics below 100dB?
5th, 7th, 9th harmonics are very unmusical and should be 10 to 30 db lower than they are. It's the culmination of their summation to the strong 3rd that makes me say, I'll stay away.

Last edited:

tential

That would be one explanation of what is going on. What is strange is that we see the same thing in Marantz so I am thinking it has something to do with programming the AKM DAC.
This is what I'm most concerned about.
When I asked Ibasso, their representative says everything on android is bit perfect for them and they bypass android audio stack just like hiby r6 does.

However, I've never seen it confirmed.

I saw you test this with the Lgv30 when I asked about this you had informed me that if I didn't use bit perfect apps, my snr would drop like crazy.

Are you able to test this here? I specifically want to use rocket player and mediamonkey, both of which are free. Rocket player has a premium app, but you just need to enable ads to not pay for it.

Could you test this?

If you need something to do so please let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks!

tential

Did you return it? Or ship it back to original owner to return?
I am going to buy a dap and I'd rather deliver it to you and return it if it's not what I need due to no bit perfect functionality. Just want to know what the process is.
Thanks for replying so quick!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you return it? Or ship it back to original owner to return?
He had bought it from Amazon and drop shipped it to me. So he just asked for return on Amazon and I shipped it back for Amazon. That way we saved on the shipping cost of me sending to him.

So if you like to do the same, it works. We just have to be mindful of the time it takes me to test it.

tential

He had bought it from Amazon and drop shipped it to me. So he just asked for return on Amazon and I shipped it back for Amazon. That way we saved on the shipping cost of me sending to him.

So if you like to do the same, it works. We just have to be mindful of the time it takes me to test it.
Absolutely.
I planned to get the hiby r6. I might also order an Ibasso for testing since if it works and it's cheaper than the r6 pro (what I actually want but so expensive) then I'll finally know if android works with my apps! Thanks a lot hope to be in contact soon as funds permit!

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Absolutely.
I planned to get the hiby r6. I might also order an Ibasso for testing since if it works and it's cheaper than the r6 pro (what I actually want but so expensive) then I'll finally know if android works with my apps! Thanks a lot hope to be in contact soon as funds permit!

Is it the original R6 or the Pro? The Original R6 has a very high output impedance (> 10Ohms) which many argue defeats the main use of the device as portable player. I am looking at the pro version as Hiby claims they designed it to have a < 1 Ohm OI. But I prefer to see independent measurements before I decide to get one.

tential

Is it the original R6 or the Pro? The Original R6 has a very high output impedance (> 10Ohms) which many argue defeats the main use of the device as portable player. I am looking at the pro version as Hiby claims they designed it to have a < 1 Ohm OI. But I prefer to see independent measurements before I decide to get one.
It would be the pro version yes sorry about the confusion. Hiby promised a special for people who signed up and then never delivered.
They haven't inspired confidence.

Joamlt

Hi @amirm
For the frequency response graph, could you sweep it slower and add more frequency steps?
I think I have seen this behavior on AP2700 where I could get a roll off in the high frequency if used 5 seconds sweep and less than 100 steps.
If you get the chance to measure the Ibasso dx120 again

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm
For the frequency response graph, could you sweep it slower and add more frequency steps?
I think I have seen this behavior on AP2700 where I could get a roll off in the high frequency if used 5 seconds sweep and less than 100 steps.
If you get the chance to measure the Ibasso dx120 again
Hi there. In this case we don't need more points because the roll off starts pretty early. But yes, will do.

NDRQ

i have a question. How is that possible that there isnt enough power for example the HD650? Theres 11mW power into 300ohm load, while the HD650 needs 5mW for SPL 105Db. Also the He400i only requires 19mW for SPL105dB while this product can give 94mW@30ohm and 60mW@50ohm.
Am i missing something?

P.S.:I get the numbers from here: link

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Hi there. In this case we don't need more points because the roll off starts pretty early. But yes, will do.

I think results like these suggest frequency response should always be measured, just in case there's something unexpected going on as is the case here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think results like these suggest frequency response should always be measured, just in case there's something unexpected going on as is the case here.
Yeh but that requires someone less lazy than me....

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Yeh but that requires someone less lazy than me....

Haha from the incredible wealth of measurements and information you've provided on this site I would definitely not say you were lazy :) It really is hugely appreciated. Having said that, science is about being thorough and keeping assumptions to a minimum. Testing null hypotheses (like there's no difference in frequency response of all modern DAPs/DACs/amps) is boring, but these tests are an important part of the scientific method, and deviation from a flat frequency response, although rare, is probably the most audibly noticeable measurement difference there is with audio equipment. Dr Sean Olive and his team's research on the frequency response of headphones being the major determinant (by a large margin) of perceived audio quality over other metrics like THD etc. comes to mind here, and suggests this would be applicable to our audio sources too. I think it's important to get the basics covered first before moving onto more complex (and maybe technically more interesting) measurements, that probably have much less influence over audible audio quality.

Last edited:

Karoon

Just in case anyone is still wondering if the response curve in DAC mode is still an issue:
If you download the windows usb driver ( http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20181222/201812222356407309.zip ), there is a tool called iBassoUSBAudioDfu.exe.

Use this tool with this ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7633bioacikvq9/DX120-DFU-20190523.bin?dl=0 ) file to flash the chipset of the DX120.
It is not an update for the software of the DX120, it is just for the chipset. The player needs to be in DAC mode in order to be recognized by the flash tool.

It then worked flawlessly and I did not loose my playlists or other settings of the DX120.
I got this file from the German contact, Markus Nagler, at NT Global Distribution GmbH in Bremen, Germany. Very kind guy.

Last edited:

udovdh

Hello!

Can anybody please confirm the fixes from the links @Karoon posted?
If they are correct then I can go ahead and buy a DX120...

Kind regards,
Udo

Top Bottom