• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My NC252MP eats 17W at idle and half of that eats the SMPS

View attachment 260821

It is another myth that class D are always "Greener" than linear amplifier. Depends (idle current etc.). Class D starts to be efficient only at high output power. And normally the average power during listening is not high.

How does that idle consumption compare to other amps you have built?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-02-06 13-44-59.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-06 13-44-59.png
    30 KB · Views: 47

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sonny1

I’ve had one of these, NC400 based amp, for over ten years of regular use and it’s still going strong. Will take pictures and post to the thread one of these days. It’s a dual mono so each amp module has a PS. The guy who put it together used the power supplies they recommended when the amps were introduced. Mounted everything in one case. Single power cord. He put little surface mount heat sinks on the power supply but I don’t know if they actually contributed to the longevity. I guess they help dissipate some heat but it’s pretty cool running anyway.

The power cord snaps on with a Neutrik Speak-on connector. Works well.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The power cord snaps on with a Neutrik Speak-on connector. Works well.
Are speakons rated for line voltage/amperage? I know they make powercons for just such an application which are rated for line power...Could be a less than safe situation if the speakons aren't rated for line power.

Sonny1

Are speakons rated for line voltage/amperage? I know they make powercons for just such an application which are rated for line power...Could be a less than safe situation if the speakons aren't rated for line power.

The one I have is supposedly rated for power, it’s the Powercon mode. It’s been fine for over a decade. Might even be fifteen years. I don’t recall when the NCore came out.

I call all of the speak-on type connectors speakon, sorry, bad habit. I also have speakon connectors from my external crossovers to monitors. When I convert to full active I’ll continue using them. So convenient.

Last edited:

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The one I have is supposedly rated for power. I hope so at least! It’s been fine for over a decade. Might even be fifteen years. I don’t recall when the NCore came out.
The powercon version is much bigger physically than the speakon. It should be obvious which one you are using.

Sonny1

The powercon version is much bigger physically than the speakon. It should be obvious which one you are using.

I’m looking at it and it doesn’t look much bigger.

It’s not letting me post a picture but they look pretty similar know size. Mine is the 45 degree mode same style as my speakers. Looks cleaner than the standard one.

john11

The nc400 is rated at 400 watts. There is no way I am going to use so many watts. I’m more of a 10-20 watts per channel kind of guy, I listen to my stuff at a modest volume. Can you recommend any hypex modules with the usual high hypex sound quality but with more lower power output, which might save me some cash

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The nc400 is rated at 400 watts. There is no way I am going to use so many watts. I’m more of a 10-20 watts per channel kind of guy, I listen to my stuff at a modest volume. Can you recommend any hypex modules with the usual high hypex sound quality but with more lower power output, which might save me some cash
A friend has used UcD180s for years.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Probably something using the nc122mp or nc252mp - these modules aren't for sale to end users though. Audiophonics and Buckeye do some low priced ones. If you want to diy you can get the corresponding FusionAmp plate amp, unbolt the amp module and sell the DSP board.

john11

Probably something using the nc122mp or nc252mp - these modules aren't for sale to end users though. Audiophonics and Buckeye do some low priced ones. If you want to diy you can get the corresponding FusionAmp plate amp, unbolt the amp module and sell the DSP board.

Does seem to be a few hanging around, from china though, eBay item number:266142630923

Would you say the nc122 mp is as good as the nc400, just with lower power output
Does the nc122mp have balanced or unbalanced input

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably something using the nc122mp or nc252mp - these modules aren't for sale to end users though. Audiophonics and Buckeye do some low priced ones.
Also the new Nord Value Line.

john11

A friend has used UcD180s for years.

How would this compare against the nc122mp
Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom