• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a higher wattage PSU that can be used with the NC400 modules?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a higher wattage PSU that can be used with the NC400 modules?

Any power supply with the right voltages can be used. If you want to have it easy and use the Hypex ones, the SMPS1200 is the most powerful. It is overkill for one nc400.

By the way, can we use the proper term "power" instead of the colloquial, amateur-ish "wattage"?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any power supply with the right voltages can be used. If you want to have it easy and use the Hypex ones, the SMPS1200 is the most powerful. It is overkill for one nc400.

By the way, can we use the proper term "power" instead of the colloquial, amateur-ish "wattage"?

I thought there was maybe an issue using the 1200 and it's rail voltage being too low or is that a solved problem?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought there was maybe an issue using the 1200 and it's rail voltage being too low or is that a solved problem?

The 1200A400 has exactly the specified voltage for a nc400, but I was wrong about the 1200 being the most powerful. They have the 3000W SMPS3k too.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As has been noted a few times, even in this topic (I learned about it here), the issue with using the SMPS1200A400 for the NC400 is that it's Vdr ouput is just slightly lower than the requirement for the NC400 (by 0.4V!), so the NC400 creates its own from the main supply line, causing higher heat dissipation in the NC400 than if an acceptable source was provided. But, the pair work just fine together, as seen in example builds (that are in use). Technically, the SMPS600N400 is a better match (though with worse heat sinking), for a single NC400.

Last edited:

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Indeed. I find Hypex to be one of the most transparent ones in that respect. See below

View attachment 48214

That is indeed one of their better data sheets, even though it's not even for an amp module. Notice how it differs from the UcD sheet I referenced. However, my focus is on the exaggerated listing of products using their boards. So, retailers or system integrators, essentially.

Just as I wouldn't expect to have to look up a Sanken spec sheet for a typical class AB amp, I don't expect to have to research Hypex module sheets for designs using their boards. I expect the retailer/system integrator to list the amplifier power of their implementation accordingly, as continuous and max.

Perhaps I've taken this thread far enough off track...:oops:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That is indeed one of their better data sheets, even though it's not even for an amp module. Notice how it differs from the UcD sheet I referenced. However, my focus is on the exaggerated listing of products using their boards. So, retailers or system integrators, essentially.

Just as I wouldn't expect to have to look up a Sanken spec sheet for a typical class AB amp, I don't expect to have to research Hypex module sheets for designs using their boards. I expect the retailer/system integrator to list the amplifier power of their implementation accordingly, as continuous and max.

Perhaps I've taken this thread far enough off track...:oops:
Well I think it's been explained pretty clearly now. You don't have to look up the data sheet because the amps do what they say on the tin.

This "continuous" rating is quite misleading. The amps do as well as any other amp in this respect. The result is dependant upon how the module cooling is handled in any particular design. The Hypex "continuous" numbers appear to be without additional cooling other than the modules own heatsink plate. Simply put, the length of time it will handle rated power output will depend on the heat sinking.

I have shown you a 252 conforming with the FTC 5 minute test at its rated output of 250 watts per channel . Amir's tests show a 502 exceeding it's rated output.

The second thing you need to understand is that music simply does not behave in this way. Any amp of any class will operating way under its max average (rms ;) ) capability.

Example.

So Amir tested the 502 module and found its max burst power was 630 watts. So with music that means the average power, (rms ;)) may only be 1/5th of that value at around 125 watts. Yes it does vary with the music style. If we assume very highly compressed pop/rock at 1/3rd it still only reaches just over 200 watts.

With regard to power supplies, yes they need to be specced adequately for the amp module, but the same as above applies.

The takeaway is we need to put specs into context and understand their real world implications. It's for a different thread but, is the information you are looking at here (continuous) actually useful?

Last edited:

shaluboy

Forum Donor
I bought two sets of NC400 mono kit (complete kit), which will be received tomorrow.
It is expected to be paired with B&W 606 speakers:D.

shaluboy

Forum Donor
How did the build turn out? How do they sound?

The first one took 1.5 to 2 hours, and the second one is much faster and not difficult to assemble.:)
My B&W speakers is still stuck in China because of Oriental New Year and epidemic situation.o_O

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of a DIY power amplifier based on Hypex NC400 amplifier modules.
As it is, I can wholeheartedly recommend hypex NC 400 modules for power amplification. Yes, the pink panther is happy!

This seems to be a very easy DIY project although I caution you to NOT engage in it if you are not comfortable and knowledgeable about mains wiring and voltages. You can easily get yourself shocked or killed. So buy an already made one if you are not able to build one safely.
-------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Although quite belated,,, I thank you for your wonderful review on Hypex NC400 amplifier modules. This review is just a timely nice reference for me, since I will soon test two of rather expensive Hypex NC400 (four NC400 in one amp) stereo 2-way 4-channel Digital Amplifier DENTEC DP-NC400-4 (XLR inputs) in my multi-channel project using OKTO's DAC8PRO. Please refer to my post #104 there.

I am sorry, but DENTEC's rather naive web pages are only in Japanese, and I hope your web browser would properly translate the pages into English. The inside view of DENTEC DP-NC400-4 is unbalanced RCA input one, but the president of DENTEC (Sound DEN) kindly offering me to try two of new DENTEC DP-NC400-4 specially built with balanced XLR inputs; he said that it is quite easy for him since XLR conectors are already built in. It looks, from the inside photo, that the power supplies of DENTEC DP-NC400-4 are really heavy duty, and they use pure silver wire for some connections. At present, I do not know whether they can export DENTEC DP-NC400-4 outside of Japan or not.

Last edited:

6speed

Ncore's distortion is so low that internal wiring layout can make a big difference. Those 4ch Dentecs make me cringe, but many DIY assemblies do also. In particular, they have their amplifier wiring too close to the output inductors. I wouldn't be surprised if there were measurable differences between channels.

I can't find it now, but before I built my Ncore and UCD amps, I read everything available at DIY audio and found a post where Bruno got mad at people shooting themselves in the foot, so he explained how to layout the wiring so as to not create problems.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ncore's distortion is so low that internal wiring layout can make a big difference. Those 4ch Dentecs make me cringe, but many DIY assemblies do also. In particular, they have their amplifier wiring too close to the output inductors. I wouldn't be surprised if there were measurable differences between channels.

I can't find it now, but before I built my Ncore and UCD amps, I read everything available at DIY audio and found a post where Bruno got mad at people shooting themselves in the foot, so he explained how to layout the wiring so as to not create problems.

Hello 6speed,

Thank you for your quick feedback. Dentec people will drop two of DENTEC DP-NC400-4 at my home for free trial for only one week or less in late June. I understand your points, and will try and evaluate them carefully as you informed, and will share my experiences in my thread. thank you again.

JimB

Forum Donor
Ncore's distortion is so low that internal wiring layout can make a big difference. Those 4ch Dentecs make me cringe, but many DIY assemblies do also. In particular, they have their amplifier wiring too close to the output inductors. ...
In particular, from what (little) I can see of the wiring of the 4-channel build, they should (and could) have tightly twisted the output wire pairs together to minimize "loop area" there. That is probably easily corrected, if desired.

6speed

@dualazmak Unless you have sensitive speakers or plan on measuring the amps, I would be surprised if you could hear a problem. :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello JimB and 6speed,

Thank you again for your valuable input. I am very much looking forward to trying two of DENTEC DP-NC400-4, but I am afraid of the cost performance, as you may agree; in any way, they guaranteed that my coming trials/tests are free of charge.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Forgive me if I missed the exact answer: is there any confirmation measurements/follow-up showing the peak 4ohm and 8ohm power output when a single SMPS600 powers a single NC400 module?

JimB

Forum Donor
By its specs, a single SMPS600N400 is able to drive a single NC400 to its full rated peak output power into 2 ohms (580W), 4 ohms (400W) and 8 ohms (200W). It was designed specifically for exactly that:

1590685800029.png

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
By its specs, a single SMPS600N400 is able to drive a single NC400 to its full rated peak output power into 2 ohms (580W), 4 ohms (400W) and 8 ohms (200W). It was designed specifically for exactly that:

View attachment 65935
Yea I've seen the manufacturer claims. But as always, testing can sometimes reveal different results. I was more curious if the rated power claims of the NC400 were ever confirmed in a follow-up review or someone else testing it (as the original review by amir fell short of the claims and all that could be speculated was the PSU limited it).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea I've seen the manufacturer claims. But as always, testing can sometimes reveal different results. I was more curious if the rated power claims of the NC400 were ever confirmed in a follow-up review or someone else testing it (as the original review by amir fell short of the claims and all that could be speculated was the PSU limited it).
Hypex datasheets were also done with AudioPrecision and are usually close to what Amir measures, so I think you can trust the datasheet info.

Top Bottom