• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All output voltages on the smps600n400 are missing, the amplifier turns off after 8 seconds, and the stendbay indicator flashes.

So there is an output voltage from the smps for those 8 seconds? How about nAMPON, nFATAL and SMPS Standby?

valeric

74FA48FB-68DA-4287-8F2A-5295CE2DD9E3.png
74FA48FB-68DA-4287-8F2A-5295CE2DD9E3.png

valeric

In the service manual, there is no schematic diagram of smpc600n400 and nc500 amplifier.

valeric

There is no damage to the radio components on the power supply board; the fuse conducts current.

valeric

I sent the amplifier to the service, the master also can not find the smps600n400 circuit diagram, without a circuit it is very problematic to make repairs quickly. Therefore, I ask for help in finding the smps600n400 and nc500 circuitry.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the link, the nad m22 uses a different smps power supply

It does, but the entire NC-400 OEM schematic is in that service manual starting at page 14, with all the trigger outs, interface and PIC control lines you can investigate.

landco

Hypex NC400 amp is a completely redundant solution. You do not need to spend so much of your money to get quality sound in class D.

Graphs and figures in the review are only good for measuring devices, but not for human ears, even if we got much worse result, our ears can not distinguish the difference.

Such high power is not needed for a good home acoustics. Good acoustics works fine, consuming only 5-10 watts.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hypex NC400 amp is a completely redundant solution. You do not need to spend so much of your money to get quality sound in class D.

Graphs and figures in the review are only good for measuring devices, but not for human ears, even if we got much worse result, our ears can not distinguish the difference.

Such high power is not needed for a good home acoustics. Good acoustics works fine, consuming only 5-10 watts.

Depends upon the speaker and peak levels desired. My average level is about 3~5 W but to reach 100 dB peaks requires about 150 W into my speakers at my listening distance. It has more to do with the speakers and listening distance from them than the room.

landco

Depends upon the speaker and peak levels desired. My average level is about 3~5 W but to reach 100 dB peaks requires about 150 W into my speakers at my listening distance. It has more to do with the speakers and listening distance from them than the room.

What is the sensitivity of your speakers? How big is the body of the columns?

Really good speaker should have a large, voluminous housing and high sensitivity. The larger the box, the easier it is moving speaker cone, the required power is reduced.

Modern speakers make small and narrow for the sake of design and beautiful appearance, such columns is hard to "shake", so it became the fashion for power amplifiers. But the truth will prevail, I hope.

1577733101384.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Revel Salon2, 86.4 dB/2.83 Vrms/m so about 83.4 dB/W/m across much of their range using 4-ohms for reference. They are pretty large IMO. Sensitivity is one design trade among many; it is not always possible to achieve high sensitivity and meet other design goals.

My previous speakers, Magnepan, were even lower. And there are lots of other speakers around that need more than a few watts to reach typical peak levels... A pair of 90 dB/W/m speakers ten feet away still need about 150 W to reach 105 dB at the MLP.

The need for a couple of hundred watts to avoid clipping is not all that unusual in my experience.

landco

FYI my Mark Levinson switching amp that is rated at 1000 watts into 4 ohms has a linear power supply. To give you a sense of what that does to the design, the thing weighs 75 KG or 165 pounds! And that is for one channel.

Oh my god ... why so much a kilo, so the power amplifier for home?

landco

I have no measuring equipment.
I do have a stereo amplifier using NCore DIY modules with their 1200 watt power supply. I have never heard any compression or clipping using there with normal speakers (87) even when testing them at loud volumes. I have had two power supplies burn out in 3 years. Amps are on 24 hours per day. Both times the power supplies were replaced or repaired at no cost (other than shipping) by Hypex. Obviously a heat issue but no observable problems in real world use (sound quality - - not heat issues)

Oh yes .... such quality amplifiers in test and such a low-quality implementation in practice ... is not there a trick? ;-)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yes .... such quality amplifiers in test and such a low-quality implementation in practice ... is not there a trick? ;-)

Maybe the lesson is that even if class D amps are very efficient, they still generate some heat, and need decent air circulation?

Top Bottom