• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

HeavyMantra

@HeavyMantra I would want to get the AC cable away from the SMPS transformers and inductor, which is as simple as tying it down between the SMPS and NC400. Also get the speaker cable going to the black binding post away from the output inductor, which is as simple as turning it to exit the screw-down connector the same direction as the other speaker cable.

Thanks, I'm going to do that when I get them

veeceem

Bad luck as my NAD M22 v2 arriving in 1 week time and then a dealer of Hypex appears in my country (just signed with Hypex lol)
it's $2531 of NAD v2 vs $1148 of x2 Nc400 full-kits
Pre-paid 20% so I can't withdraw.
Looking forward to re-selling the NAD minus 10% and buy x2 of DIY Kits.
But there's something I don't understand, please enlighten me:
It appears that only the nc400 module and the power supply (plus 2 xlr sockets / 2 speaker sockets / wires / power plug) are all needed to make a complete mono block?
I'm a little confused as softstarter / opam ect... are mentioned somewhere. Are those included in the module/power supply? Or need to purchase separately to make a complete mono block?
Thanks

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad luck as my NAD M22 v2 arriving in 1 week time and then a dealer of Hypex appears in my country (just signed with Hypex lol)
it's $2531 of NAD v2 vs $1148 of x2 Nc400 full-kits
Pre-paid 20% so I can't withdraw.
But there's something I don't understand, please enlighten me:
It appears that only the nc400 module and the power supply (plus 2 xlr sockets / 2 speaker sockets / wires / power plug) are all needed to make a complete mono block?
I'm a little confused as softstarter / opam ect... are mentioned somewhere. Are those included in the module/power supply? Or need to purchase separately to make a complete mono block?
Thanks
Depends on the module. NC400OEM, NC500OEM and 1ET400A were deliberately designed needing a buffer before it so manufacturers could differentiate themselves. But NC400 DIY already has buffer in the same board, and the MP series has both buffer and power supply in the same board for maximum integration.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No need for any soft start module.

veeceem

Depends on the module. NC400OEM, NC500OEM and 1ET400A were deliberately designed needing a buffer before it so manufacturers could differentiate themselves. But NC400 DIY already has buffer in the same board, and the MP series has both buffer and power supply in the same board for maximum integration.
Thanks, it's the DIY-round-PCB so I guess this answer my question!

veeceem

The Power supply seems to have its own fuse which means no other fuse is needed? I ask because I see many power plugs shown here ánd other places (seem to) have a fuse in it. Thanks

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Power supply seems to have its own fuse which means no other fuse is needed? I ask because I see many power plugs shown here ánd other places (seem to) have a fuse in it. Thanks

Yes, the PS is fused, no need for additional fuses.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I'd keep the NAD. There's a whole lot in the NAD you don't get with two NC-400s and a power supply in a box DIY style.

orangejello

I'd keep the NAD. There's a whole lot in the NAD you don't get with two NC-400s and a power supply in a box DIY style.
I was thinking the same thing. I particularly like the trigger, auto-off feature after 45 minutes, and most of all the three gain settings. Plus a warranty.

veeceem

I was thinking the same thing. I particularly like the trigger, auto-off feature after 45 minutes, and most of all the three gain settings. Plus a warranty.
Thats just my plan. Still need to check how it sounds before deciding. But I have to admit, the inner layout of NAD M22 v2 looks beautiful! Very good separation of components p/s: bluesaint's pic, not mine
NAD_M22_V2_Power_Amp_02_Inside.jpg

orangejello

Thats just my plan. Still need to check how it sounds before deciding. But I have to admit, the inner layout of NAD M22 v2 looks beautiful! Very good separation of components p/s: bluesaint's pic, not mine
View attachment 41553
Give it some time. It is so clean that your initial reaction might be that something is missing. It controls speakers so effortlessly that you might think it is bland. It also provides a clear window into the upstream components. So if you hear something amiss, examine what is upstream.

If you still don't like it after all that, I am not sure what to tell you. But I am betting that once you understand what it is doing for you, you will just settle back and enjoy it.

Also, I have come to really like the touch sensitive on/standby switch. I don't have to use it much because of the trigger and auto standby features. But it just takes a light swipe to activate.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Mono (T/S) cables are used for trigger interconnects. Most stereo (T/R/S) cables will work with most equipment but I have had problems in the past. Monoprice, Parts Express, etc. sell mono cables.

veeceem

Have anyone tried to bridge a pair of Hypex Ncore modules? I wonder how much performance will drop in measurements :/

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have anyone tried to bridge a pair of Hypex Ncore modules? I wonder how much performance will drop in measurements :/

The ability to drive low impedance loads will definitely suffer. Why would you want to bridge? Not enough power from a single module?

veeceem

The ability to drive low impedance loads will definitely suffer. Why would you want to bridge? Not enough power from a single module?
Right now, I'm using a NAD M22 v2 as stereo to drive Tannoy Kensington GRs, which is more than enough. But in the near future I'll be switching to Revel Salon2s, which need alot of power to drive. So I'm thinking of buying another NAD M22 v2 and run each as mono block (it will then work as a bridged pair per mono block). So I'm worried that performance(measurements) might suffer :(

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, the Salon 2s are definitely less sensitive, but I am still not sure bridging is a sensible idea. How close have you been to using full power with the Tannoys?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The chap who part exchanged his Salons with me used two Benchmark AHB2s they worked well.
Keith

Top Bottom