• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@rajapruk I'm looking at the pic trying to figure out what you mean by the inside of the screw-connectors. I oriented the speaker cables to go out the back of the NC400 in parallel with the power and input cable. Because the screw itself was in the way, I had to choose whether to offset them towards power or input, and I chose input.

The way Bruno recommends is actually one cable going one way, the other the opposite way - toward each other. That way the "unbalanced" area (that acts as an antenna) is minimized.

6speed

Oh, I see; that is a good suggestion. If I had enough slack to reorient the existing cables, I would make the change.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you see these monoblocks nc400 audiophonics compared to hypex kits in terms of chassis, components, internal layout? I just ordered two mono from soundimport at the same price.
Layout looks more optimal towards output/input connectors.
Case is also more compact.
But as SMPS and amp are 100% the same, I wouldn't expect any significant difference.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice build.
... wire both the internal speakerwires to the inside of the screw-connectors at the nc400 end...
I did that. But the build shown is not as bad as it might seem. The white wire is effectively 'paired' with the black wire where it passes over the black connector (assuming it is in contact). The open 'loop' area from white to black is then really small/short. It would be much worse if both wires exited 'up' from the PCB - that would make the open loop area is much larger.

batfunk

In stock now!
Does Audiophonics implementation look good to you by watching VintageFlanker attachments and graphs of the site? Any return about their components and building quality?
This could be my next amp. I like my teac ai-501 but this could be a vast improvement for my Paradigm prestige 85F.
By the way, could this amp be too powerful for my loudspeakers(200 watts max input, 89 dB at 4 ohms)? I've got a small room(3.6x4.3x2.5 meters) and my listening rarely exceeds 60db.
Thanks!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did that. But the build shown is not as bad as it might seem. The white wire is effectively 'paired' with the black wire where it passes over the black connector (assuming it is in contact). The open 'loop' area from white to black is then really small/short. It would be much worse if both wires exited 'up' from the PCB - that would make the open loop area is much larger.

Indeed, the loop area is very small, the issue there is more the asymmetry.

6speed

By the way, could this amp be too powerful for my loudspeakers(200 watts max input, 89 dB at 4 ohms)? I've got a small room(3.6x4.3x2.5 meters) and my listening rarely exceeds 60db.
Thanks!

Under normal circumstances, there is no such thing as an amp or a car that is too powerful. Your amp is only going to deliver as much power as you ask it to by turning the volume control on your preamp, similar to a car is only going to accelerate or cruise as fast as you tell it to by pushing the gas pedal. In your case, you should be looking at the noise and distortion performance of the first watt since that is all you will be using.

batfunk

Thanks for your answer!
Anyone about quality of implementation of Audiophonic's amps?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Under normal circumstances, there is no such thing as an amp or a car that is too powerful

Yes and no. One could definitely argue that a car engine that breaks the gearbox and the differential if you use full throttle is too powerful. Likewise an amp that fries your speaker if played at full volume is, in my view, too powerful. Of course you could adjust the gain so that you nevetr use the excessive power...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow wow wow...

@Audiophonics strikes again: New MPA-M400NC (Monoblock). 699€ tax included. Same price as DIY kits from Hypex Shop, but assembled (and most important: available!).

The enclosure is similar to ones used with NC122MP and NC250MP, but wider. Still, I think there is a typo regarding width:
Dimensions 413 x 322 x 60mm

audiophonics-mpa-m400nc-class-d-mono-amplifier-ncore-1x400w-4-ohm (2).jpg

audiophonics-mpa-m400nc-class-d-mono-amplifier-ncore-1x400w-4-ohm (1) (1).jpg

audiophonics-mpa-m400nc-amplificateur-mono-class-d-ncore-1x400w-4-ohm (1).jpg

Last edited:

batfunk

Well, I missed it :p.I compare Thd+n vs power at 4 ohms measurement from Audiophonics with Amirm's one, the curve is the same. I'm a newbie,is something wrong about its other measurements?

Thanks!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much voltage is needed to run this amp to it max ?

The Hypex NC400? 75 V is the absolute maximum, but they are really designed to work together with the Hypex SMPSs.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much voltage is needed to run this amp to it max ?
The Hypex NC400? 75 V is the absolute maximum, but they are really designed to work together with the Hypex SMPSs.
I think he was asking about the input sensitivity:

2.05V - 8.46dBu for 400W/4ohms - gain 28.5.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple of Nc400 monoblocks coming next week and I have never really thought about this gain-stuff. For the time being I will be driving them with Minidsp 4x10hd using balanced output. According to the manual, I have a choice between 4v output voltage and 8v through a dipswitch on the board. How does this stuff work, what should I pick?

Top Bottom