• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
UdD is lower performing, more distortion, than NCore.
Yet still inaudible distortion, and cheaper. NCore definitely gets the bragging rights.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yet still inaudible distortion, and cheaper. NCore definitely gets the bragging rights.
Not sure they're much cheaper - the FA122 (nc122mp plus DSP, plate, cabling and connectors) is ~€70 more than a couple of UcD180s plus psu and cable set. If one of my UcDs fails I'll be glad they're still available, but if starting fresh now I'd get a pair of FA123s.

Does seem to be a few hanging around, from china though, eBay item number:266142630923

Would you say the nc122 mp is as good as the nc400, just with lower power output
Does the nc122mp have balanced or unbalanced input
Not sure I'd trust the ebay ones, but you might be lucky.

nc122mp doesn't measure as well as the nc400 - see the datasheets for details. I don't think there are any hypex modules that don't use balanced inputs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure they're much cheaper - the FA122 (nc122mp plus DSP, plate, cabling and connectors) is ~€70 more than a couple of UcD180s plus psu and cable set. If one of my UcDs fails I'll be glad they're still available, but if starting fresh now I'd get a pair of FA123s.

Not sure I'd trust the ebay ones, but you might be lucky.

nc122mp doesn't measure as well as the nc400 - see the datasheets for details. I don't think there are any hypex modules that don't use balanced inputs.
Bruno is a fervent believer in balanced inputs.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Isn't the default balanced? At least it is for the NC400.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a good reason. His "G word" paper is great reading.
I'm rather allergic to single-ended cabling for audio, too.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would this compare against the nc122mp
Thanks!

You can buy a complete NC252MP amp for a little more than the UcD180 kit. This would be like spending money on a new car or buying a kit of the 10 year old model for the same amount. The UcD would not even be in this discussion if Hypex offered some lower price Ncore modules on diyclassd.com

In the end, a NC122MP is a lower power version of the N252MP. So this comparison is simply a cost per watt case.

Last edited:

Paul Ebert

You can buy a complete NC252MP amp for a little more than the UcD180 kit. This would be like spending money on a new car or buying a kit of the 10 year old model for the same amount. The UcD would not even be in this discussion if Hypex offered some lower price Ncore modules on diyclassd.com

In the end, a NC122MP is a lower power version of the N252MP. So this comparison is simply a cost per watt case.
Best I can tell, they don't offer any Ncore modules on diyclassd.com. Only a mono NC400 amp kit and FusionAmps. I sure wish they did.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Best I can tell, they don't offer any Ncore modules on diyclassd.com. Only a mono NC400 amp kit and FusionAmps. I sure wish they did.
Correct. With the NC400 being discontinued for the newer Nilai500, there isn’t much there right now.
Eager to see them get back into the game as the get the Nilai available and hopefully expand that offering!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The market for DIY amp modules is a niche one. Hypex appears to be carving out the premium space in that market. Despite what hobbyists might like to see, almost anything they do in the value segment of the market will either compete with their (assuredly larger part of company revenue) for OEM market OR be priced not to compete with it. Neither of these seems like a enticing business to pursue imo.

Accordingly setting expectations low. Otoh, with OEMs willing to compete on price, it is a great time to acquire a nice Class D amp. Traditional power amp suppliers are unlikely to survive unless they are ready to show willingness to innovate and compete.

kazsud

I am sending back a Topping PA7 that isn't strong enough for my Kef Reference 1s, Would a pair of these be able to do the heavy lifting?

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am sending back a Topping PA7 that isn't strong enough for my Kef Reference 1s, Would a pair of these be able to do the heavy lifting?
It depends on the size of your room and on your listening habits. The stereo Nilai 500 is probably a little short, the mono Nilai 500 might be a better choice. I write this because I often push my Stereo Nilai 500 to -14 to -10 dB range from my Okto Stereo, jumpers on medium in the amps, and I feed a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v.3, a bit more efficient than your Kef Ref. 1, in a medium-large room.

meinhard57

I would say “yes”. They’re driving my Thiel CS 2 2’s with a LOT of room to spare!

ManuCV

I have the Audiophonics HPA-S400NC feeding my Reference 1s and does the job perfectly fine. My room is small-ish though.

Top Bottom