• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wouldn’t they need some sort of microprocessor factory for this?
They just use a lot of resistors, some electronic switches, and use an FPGA to control these switches to make a DAC.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wouldn’t they need some sort of microprocessor factory for this?
No. FPGA is a chip that you program to perform logic functions. It is like lego blocks that you put together using specialized tools and then download into the chip. FPGAs are much faster than microprocessors although much harder to program.

As to R2R DACs, they are extremely simple to build. You can build one yourself if you just search a bit online! Getting them to be low noise and distortion is much harder.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What R2R DAC does it use?

It must be signed magnitude otherwise they could never reach this kind of linearity.
With a normal R2R topology it is not possible to get this linearity and bit depth not even with 0.001% resistors.
Chip manufacturers use different techniques or laser trimmed resistors for the MSB to 3SB to get decent linearity.
This is what makes the chips expensive as they need to be trimmed while active.
The FPGA is probably also used to toggle the right bits to achieve these results combined with small tolerance resistors.

Last edited:

Newk Yuler

Fully dual differential-balanced? With FPGA on each of the balanced channels. Cost apparently reflecting development instead of components and knowing they can get that much because it measures so well. Still not especially unrealisitic pricing IMO. Stating the obvious. Clearly the DAC to own if Hell bent on nearly perfect R2R.

Ya know, I'd invest freely in quality time with Ana de Armas without needing to know what her insides look like. (Better Blade Runner 2049 than Knives Out but she's a very fine example of magnificent design anyway.)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's funny to see that a relatively cheap DS chip can still outperform an, as good as SOTA, Signed Magnitude R2R costing factors more.
It also has great filters as well as a NOS capability (with all its downsides).

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm confused by your questions. It's an R2R DAC made from the ground up, sign maltitude ladders with FPGA error correction. There's no PCM63/TDA1543/AD CRUZ/DSD1793 or other multibit or hybrid multibit chip used, it's a custom boutique design.

Really crazy to see it reach 116dB SINAD. Compare to Soekris, Airist, Denafrips, Audio-Gd(laughable performance). It's state of the art but yeah, $4000...

THr SO
I'm confused by your questions. It's an R2R DAC made from the ground up, sign maltitude ladders with FPGA error correction. There's no PCM63/TDA1543/AD CRUZ/DSD1793 or other multibit or hybrid multibit chip used, it's a custom boutique design.
Really crazy to see it reach 116dB SINAD. Compare to Soekris, Airist, Denafrips, Audio-Gd(laughable performance). It's state of the art but yeah, $4000...

I do not think that the Soekris 1541 has laughable performance (look at the measurements on SBAF), but maybe that was reserved for Audio-Gd.

Roberrto

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
This thing is seriously impressive! But not $4K impressive :)

This seems really interesting from an engineering heroics perspective, but from The developer's perspective, is there any supposed benefit to a discrete R2R design versus just doing a cheap Delta sigma chip based solution? Honest question.

Nope. So far the only argument is that they have some unknown quality that no one has discovered how to measure yet. Personally I don't buy it.

VeerK

Nice, good job to Holo Audio for engineering an R2R DAC that finally measures with the big dogs. Very curious how folks over on those other forums will try to describe this DAC with their flowery words. A DAC with their “magical” R2R that measures well might make their heads explode.

While the engineering and aesthetic design are top notch here, I’m quite happy with my similarly measuring m500 for 10% of the price.

pma

Major Contributor
from The developer's perspective, is there any supposed benefit to a discrete R2R design versus just doing a cheap Delta sigma chip based solution? Honest question.

Time domain response, impulse and step response without pre-ringing. Might be interesting to make serious DBT tests.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Nice, good job to Holo Audio for engineering an R2R DAC that finally measures with the big dogs. Very curious how folks over on those other forums will try to describe this DAC with their flowery words. A DAC with their “magical” R2R that measures well might make their heads explode.

While the engineering and aesthetic design are top notch here, I’m quite happy with my similarly measuring m500 for 10% of the price.

Me too, indeed, very happy with my Topping DX7s as DAC and Topping D10 as USB to S/PDIF bridge interface, for the audiophile amazing amount of $400 ...

garbulky

Major Contributor
That is really good to know that there are R2R units that can acheive what is honestly amazing performance measures for R2R.
Having said that, the comparison isn't quite the same. DACs that are traditionally thought of as being R2R use DAC chips which appears to me to be quite different from this current implementation. This implementation (as far as I can gather) doesn't even use a DAC chip. Nevertheless, it shows people that it's possible to make great measuring R2R designs.

Reactions: pos

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@WolfX-700 Do you think it is fair to compare this D/A converter with 192KHz source content, when all the other D/A converters tested here are at 44.1 or 48KHz?

Top Bottom