• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
The Kitsune edition also has hand-selected DAC boards, apparently...
The level 2 ones are hand-selected at holo audio for best specs over level 1. The KTE does not have any better selected modules over level 2, this is an outright lie, or at least there's zero proof they are measuring and selecting these over at the retailer/distributor... Can't prove it though, but let's just say holo audio would recommend to just buy L2. ;)

The silly thing that is really putting me off from getting the May DAC in general, is the Kitsune label they plonked on Talema transformers...
The Talema are only in front of the big toroid transformer and are only used for the sleep/mute mode. There's no reason to be put off by those, haha. Edit: oh you mean the kitsune logo?? haha funny thing to be annoyed at

Scintilla

I do hope your information was correct Veri, since I relied on it when ordering an L2. I'm not one to waste money on magic fuses and silver wire, but the hand-selected modules are worth extra $$ to me. As far as I can tell the dac covers are simply cosmetic, since they are magnetically permeable alloy. So many audiophiles will just believe anything a distributor says about "vast improvements" while they line their pockets with extra profit from pointless modifications...

MOCKBA

Indeed, it looks very impressive, and no questions about design. Here is a nice video :
The price point is also very fear. What will be a headphone amplifier to it?

das

Forum Donor
And there is a part 2 video that focuses just on the Holo May KTE Level 3, the Spring is "level 2" -- right after you finish Part 1. Quite positive review and well detailed on build and performance.

sq225917

Major Contributor
$900 for fancy caps and wire, I'll take the plain level 2 version.

Katji

Major Contributor
hmmm
Blindness would completely change the WAF parameters.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All DACs look the same in a blind test!
I wouldn't say "All", but "almost all", yeah.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 9.49.22 AM.png

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Any blind test with topping d90 se ?

D90SE has so inconsistent technical behavior compared to Holo, that it would largely depend on conditions...

aj625

D90SE has so inconsistent technical behavior compared to Holo, that it would largely depend on conditions...
What inconsistent technical behaviour ? Does it change its sinad after some time or IMD changes with time or frequency response changes with time ?

Top Bottom