• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of HIDIZS DAC and Amp Dongle

Jimster480

Major Contributor
With such poor output power... its not likely to be better than any phones headphone jack. And if your phone doesn't have one as you mentioned; there are $9 dongles which perform the same/better.

SaskAudioGuy

I am wondering if it was tested bone stock with the mic support and call answering functionality turned on.

Firmware A: Gimped audio but mic and controls
Firmware C: Less Gimped audio but still retains mic support
Firmware HD/D: is the 24bit/192khz mode but completely kills mic support.

It's a little unfair to test it in Apple Dongle mode and say it's no better. Little disappointed that Amir completely ignored the other poster who asked, and completely leaves the firmware out of the review.

Long time reader, but it feels almost biased which is a odd thing to see here. So I had to say something. Since other reviews are out there and they talk about the audio being very meh in A/C mode, and it becomes hugely better in full playback mode.

I think the review should be updated and it should be stated which firmware was used and to mention the firmware mode in use.

Link to firmware downloads:

https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center

Link to a marketing explaination of the modes:

https://www.hidizs.net/blogs/news/h...with-hi-res-sound-with-sonata-hd-dac-cable-ii

All missing from a bad review, a good review would have at least mentioned it alongside the 'blingy sticker'. Heh

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
IMO, it is nonsense to try to sell such DAC for $30 if Meizu HiFi DAC $20. To measure the noise of Meizu HiFi DAC I prepared the low noise 60db preamp for my AP analyzer because AP has 570nVRMS(A) residual noise, that's higher than CS43131 with 550nV. And Meizu HiFi DAC non-Pro has -130dbA 2VRMS ref, rediculous that Meizu specs claim only -122dbA i.e. Log((550nV^2+570nV^2)^.5/2V)*20 = 122dbA. Meizu, don't be so naive and don't trust AP too much ))

IVX

Major Contributor
BTW, I've got Savitech demoboard ridiculously similar to HIDIZS DAC, furthermore, I tried to update demoboard FW with HIDIZS DAC utility(which looks straightly like Savitech FW_tool) and now the demoboard got the name Hidizs )) I have the PCB file of the demoboard and it uses 6 layers with blind vias, to me, it looks like a new world record for lowest performance/cost ratio. The demoboard cost is $7 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...QZdpU&id=571234141179&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
No w
BTW, I've got Savitech demoboard ridiculously similar to HIDIZS DAC, furthermore, I tried to update demoboard FW with HIDIZS DAC utility(which looks straightly like Savitech FW_tool) and now the demoboard got the name Hidizs )) I have the PCB file of the demoboard and it uses 6 layers with blind vias, to me, it looks like a new world record for lowest performance/cost ratio. The demoboard cost is $7 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...QZdpU&id=571234141179&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail
No wonder's there. Hidizs use third part manufacturer's, they don't make their own stuff so if you found something which looks like something "Hidizs" branding, with same spec sheet chances are it's a same product. Usually they used TempoTec so for instance this Hidizs DAC is a TempoTec Sonata HD & they cost the same. Meizu DAC is actually 25$, 30$ with USB C to A adopter. It has a really bad cable when compared to this Hidizs for instance A really good USB C to micro cable costs 25$ (Shanling L2). If you want Meuzu with decent cable (not stellar) price goes up to 40~45$ (Pro). They (Meizu) actually exaggerated even with 120 dB SNR, sure DAC is rated at 128 dB tops but used opa amp only goes to THD+N of
–119.2 dB at 1 kHz and drives a 32-Ω load (ideal lab results from vendor spec sheets). If you really want to persuit for something similar try with new TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (same CS DAC & better amp with detachable cable & same price as Meizu Pro).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am wondering if it was tested bone stock with the mic support and call answering functionality turned on.

Firmware A: Gimped audio but mic and controls
Firmware C: Less Gimped audio but still retains mic support
Firmware HD/D: is the 24bit/192khz mode but completely kills mic support.

It's a little unfair to test it in Apple Dongle mode and say it's no better. Little disappointed that Amir completely ignored the other poster who asked, and completely leaves the firmware out of the review.

Long time reader, but it feels almost biased which is a odd thing to see here. So I had to say something. Since other reviews are out there and they talk about the audio being very meh in A/C mode, and it becomes hugely better in full playback mode.

I think the review should be updated and it should be stated which firmware was used and to mention the firmware mode in use.

Link to firmware downloads:

https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-center

Link to a marketing explaination of the modes:

https://www.hidizs.net/blogs/news/h...with-hi-res-sound-with-sonata-hd-dac-cable-ii

All missing from a bad review, a good review would have at least mentioned it alongside the 'blingy sticker'. Heh
You need to stay at 96KHz tops if you want it to have some depth at least. So the second firmware would be my choice, also trying out the TempoTec Sonata HD one wouldn't hurt as it's a same thing.
Edit:
Actually they are the exactly the same thing even on the firmware level.
http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataHD/firmware.htm

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
Non-pro Meizu HiFi DAC has no opamp and as I said output noise 550nVRMS(A). I bought on taobao that toy for $23 or so but later I noticed the same DACs for $19. THD, even no load at -104-115db, and floating continuously. Probably because of USB 5V power isn't perfect and the DAC board contains near to zero capacitance to smooth that rail even a little.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Non-pro Meizu HiFi DAC has no opamp and as I said output noise 550nVRMS(A). I bought on taobao that toy for $23 or so but later I noticed the same DACs for $19. THD, even no load at -104-115db, and floating continuously. Probably because of USB 5V power isn't perfect and the DAC board contains near to zero capacitance to smooth that rail even a little.
Both have the same OPA1622 amp. Only difference actually is cable between regular and pro variant. I both recently the TempoTec Sonata iDSD for multiple reason's (sabre9601k amp, separated power line, two USB input lines...) among which battery power supply and price of course. It whose 50$, regularly goes for 70. It's to sharp - fast for my taste but that can be corrected, other than that I am rather satisfied with it.
A question for you. Do those CS DAC's have dedicated DSD line?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
My Non-pro Meizu HiFi DAC has no opamp, if you like I ready to bet for $1000? I have posted in some thread the teardown of Meizu HiFi DAC "non-pro", there is only an empty footprint for 1622.
OK... Digged thrue CS43131 data sheet it does have it's own amp (30.8 mV @ 32 Ohm's typical) and separate DSD line. It explains why it's become so popular recently.

Veri

Master Contributor
pro version with 1622 buffer may have a bit worse S/N but better THD under load. But anyway, such nice DAC for $19 just killing all stupid around it. Especially ridiculous looks dragonfly cobalt $300 with the same 30mW and THD -70db ))
Your E1DA already made Cobalt look ridiculous IIRC ;)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Shouldn't be the same if they didn't done something wery wrong with Sabre9601k. Which that again wouldn't be surprising from AudioQuest. Pricing is entirely different story. Sabre9601k should be able to give 75 mV @ 32 Ohm's with THD+N of 113 dB which roses down to 100 with 30 mV power. I don't expect exactly that it will reach more than 50 mV if property implemented but then again that's the primary target. OPA1622 is declared at 80 mV, CS43131 probably can't reach more than 22 mV in paper its 30.8 but with high current 2.6 V. Nice dac (CS43131) but not a such a good amp (neither intended nor OPA1622). Then again it all depends on targeted output strength.

D

Deleted member 3566

Android volume is an internal software control, rather than adjusting the hardware volume built into the USB dongle. This means that if the dongle defaults to something other than 100% when you plug it in you will be limited to whatever that range may be. This is the case with the Apple dongle and used to be the case with the Dragonflies. You can get around this without root using UAPP, by adjusting hardware volume through it and handing back control to the OS by quitting the app completely from its notification tray.

Assume you're referring to USB Audio Player Pro application on Play Store? If yes, will doing this fix the problem system-wide -- meaning I can use Spotify and other applications -- or only within the player itself?

Last edited by a moderator:

SaskAudioGuy

Glad to see I prompted some discussion, and I've learned some.

I will say that on my short list is the
Meizu HiFi Pro
Soditer Pixel 2 that has a 32bit realtek chip but the cable
Tempotec SonataHD

I had the Apple one, but the hassle of fixing the volume and it's build quality... Lead to it's return. I kind of want to try the Samsung one, but it's not easily attainable around here yet it seems.

kankkunen

Forum Donor
Is it possible that this DAC actually sounds worse than laptop output? This is my first DAC and I have nothing else to compare it to.

Mine is TempoTec version and I've flashed it with D firmware.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is it possible that this DAC actually sounds worse than laptop output? This is my first DAC and I have nothing else to compare it to.

Mine is TempoTec version and I've flashed it with D firmware.
Firmware? Firmwares are for Sonata HD which is completely another product.

kankkunen

Forum Donor
No wonder's there. Hidizs use third part manufacturer's, they don't make their own stuff so if you found something which looks like something "Hidizs" branding, with same spec sheet chances are it's a same product. Usually they used TempoTec so for instance this Hidizs DAC is a TempoTec Sonata HD & they cost the same. Meizu DAC is actually 25$, 30$ with USB C to A adopter. It has a really bad cable when compared to this Hidizs for instance A really good USB C to micro cable costs 25$ (Shanling L2). If you want Meuzu with decent cable (not stellar) price goes up to 40~45$ (Pro). They (Meizu) actually exaggerated even with 120 dB SNR, sure DAC is rated at 128 dB tops but used opa amp only goes to THD+N of
–119.2 dB at 1 kHz and drives a 32-Ω load (ideal lab results from vendor spec sheets). If you really want to persuit for something similar try with new TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (same CS DAC & better amp with detachable cable & same price as Meizu Pro).

Firmware? Firmwares are for Sonata HD which is completely another product.

Are they same or not? Visually definitely yes and both are made by Savitech.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Are they same or not? Visually definitely yes and both are made by Savitech.
They are the same (Hidizs Sonata I & II with TempoTec Sonata HD) TempoTec is OEM.
I apologise for previous comment firmwares are for Sonata HD (thought you flashed it to Sonata HD Pro), my bad.

kankkunen

Forum Donor
No problem.

With such poor output power... its not likely to be better than any phones headphone jack. And if your phone doesn't have one as you mentioned; there are $9 dongles which perform the same/better.

I guess this answers my question :)

Top Bottom