• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of HIDIZS DAC and Amp Dongle

Darijan

Assume you're referring to USB Audio Player Pro application on Play Store? If yes, will doing this fix the problem system-wide -- meaning I can use Spotify and other applications -- or only within the player itself?
Just within the player itself. But you can use Tidal hifi or Qoubuz in UAPP, they are integrated, alongside your music library. It also supports MQA decoding for Tidal MQA music and if you use Dragonfly Red for example, Red works as MQA renderer in this case and unfolds formats to even higher sample/bit rates.

Ufasas

I bought it , hidizs s3, straightly flashed with Firmware D (pure audio only) for 31 GBP, and it's clean and no hiss, and opens up my both headphones, open back and closed back flawlessly, i tested on PC/laptop and android phone, i think it's as good as Asus Strix Soar 54-70eur sound card for PC, definitely better than Creative SoundBlaster Play3 (19.99~) , also not sure equal or better compared to 54.99 eur Creative SoundBlaster G3, new USB DAC with many features. S3 was great in fps game (cs:go) on PC, wide soundstage with open back headphone, AIMP3 media player with rock and drum and bass. I don't even know if i should get UAPP at this point, i'm happy with the sound

Last edited:

nhooyr

I've also bought the hidizs s3. They list it as the best on their site: https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-s3-type-c-dac-cable

I'm enjoying it so far, don't have any technical comments.
I do think the larger size and dark grey color (instead of pure black) is unfortunate but I'll live with it for now. Have not flashed firmware D on it as instructed at https://www.hidizs.net/blogs/news/h...with-hi-res-sound-with-sonata-hd-dac-cable-ii though.

But apparently they aren't producing any of their usb c dongles anymore, something new is coming.

Their site has the following on the pages of all their dongles:
Hurry up! Only 15 Items left in stock. It will no longer be produced when sold out.
Friends who are interested in it should not hesitate. Stay tuned for new products in the future.

Ufasas

Is it possible that this DAC actually sounds worse than laptop output? This is my first DAC and I have nothing else to compare it to.

Mine is TempoTec version and I've flashed it with D firmware.

Same firmware here, I put S III pc usb 2.0 port, it works well, no clipping, browser + aimp3 media player, but on laptop i load CPU at 95%< with 2 heavier apps and aimp3 media player on, it's clipping, sound plays but gives short crackle or popping sound

Ufasas

Tempotec Sonata HD II is out, same form like Hidizs S3, improved specs, and don't need to flash with multiple firmwares anymore, worth it? 32 bit also, and 70mw@32ohms, compared to previous 24 bit. Price like hidizs s3, and all specs improved

Blew

I'm fairly certain that this review was done on the stock firmware, which sounds much worse than the alternative firmwares available.

I've been using this Hidizs dongle DAC since it was first released and have always used firmware D on it. I use it with an old pair of portable headphones for commuting on the train etc. They're the AKG K480 NC, but I don't use the noise cancelling component with them. While they're not the best headphones on the market, they are very portable and sound good enough for what I use them for. The Hidizs dongle DAC sounds a lot better than any others I've tried.

Covid interrupted my commuting and in the meantime I had issues with my Pixel phone's USB C port. Long story short my Hidizs dongle is now loose and often disconnects when moved a bit. This is really annoying as it stops the music and means I have to fiddle with the dongle then open the player and resume. So I bought the Apple USB C dongle as I was interested to see if it would be as loose and compare the sound.

The Apple dongle is a firm fit and so far I haven't had the same issue with disconnects, however there is a very noticeable reduction in sound quality over the Hidizs! Less clarity, not as resolving, more distortion, and even a lot less power. I have to turn the volume up to full to hear a reasonable volume on the Apple dongle, which gets to about half to two thirds of the volume on the Hidizs. The AKGs are 32 ohms and 127dB/mW, so aren't hard to drive for portable devices.

So now I need a new dongle DAC that's as good as or better than the Hidizs. The Apple dongle is a definite downgrade.

Top Bottom