• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of GUSTARD-DACA22 - 4499 First Show at ASR

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hi, has anybody listened to the A22? Was wondering listeners impressions regarding detail, soundstage width/depth, imaging and treble/bass extension.

Also any comparison to other recent DACs would be appreciated!
Hi @Tonto I've seen a few of your posts asking similar questions. ASR is not like other forums.

The perspective here is that measurements are made to understand the quality of engineering and design. Imaging, soundstage and so on are not affected by DACs unless they are very poorly measuring. DACs are basically transparent.

Just FYI:
  • Soundstage and imaging on their own cannot be affected by DACs unless they are using DSP to manipulate the music. Soundstage, from a signal perspective, is just timing and amplitude information. Unless there is a channel imbalance or oscillator/clock issue there will be no effect. IIRC there has never been a DAC, good or bad, regardless of design, measured which has shown those kinds of faults. What will effect your listening experience is especially high noise and distortion.
  • Treble/bass extension is seen in frequency response. It is flat and completely acceptable in about 90% of cases (I'm being conservative). Mostly what you get is not to do with early rolloff and diminished response, but inappropriate reconstruction filters which allow spurs to appear in the audible band.
Stick around though. If you want to discuss these topics please don't do so here but start your own thread or read existing ones.

Sorry to derail the thread Wolf.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Is this DAC worth the cost?

What I got from the review is its semi Ok and the USB model is junk.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Gustard A-22 BT.jpg
    Gustard A-22 BT.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 126

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering how many options the A22 has.
Mine has both USB and BT !

DiegoV

This is a review and measurement of the prototype of the Gustard DAC-A22. I had previously purchased the DAC-X26 and U16 USB digital audio interface from the same manufacturer at my own expense, and got good and bad measurement results.

The unit is a "tourist audition prototype" that I obtained by actively contacting the manufacturer.

As far as I know, the price of this unit will be lower than DAC-X26. (The nominal price on Taobao is USD 1099.99)

The unit is very similar to the DAC-X26, except that the button on the right is replaced with a dial. It is slightly lighter than the X26. This is a medium weight and sized unit.

View attachment 40738

Since last year, all kinds of news about AKM's new flagship DAC chip 4499 have come. Many Chinese manufacturers have also invested in the development of related DAC models. In the first half of this year, it was reported that 4499 had various difficult problems (such as low-frequency distortion). And overall the development progress of each company is very slow.

So I have been a little worried about this chip.

Anyway, give the microphone to APx555B. Here is his show time!

Measurements :

I lowered it by 4 dB using the front panel control to get 4 volt in balanced :

View attachment 40741

With the same setup, we got 2V on the RCA. The performance is also quite close.
View attachment 40787

Dynamic Range(XLR)

View attachment 40742

Jitter(USB module is still not good)

View attachment 40743

THD+N-Freq:I'm glad I haven't seen the legendary low-frequency distortion problem

View attachment 40744

Linearity:
View attachment 40745

IMD vs Level:
View attachment 40746

Multitone:

View attachment 40747

Overall, the measurements are pretty good. Although it did not reach the limit of 4499 itself. But as a product that insists on using discrete output stages, such measurements show that they are doing a good job.
Does the Gustard A22 output both XLR and RCA simultaneously for instance so that the RCA could be used as subwoofer out?

Cortes

The results for the Gustard are a bit disappointing indeed, considering that the Topping is using x1 AKM4499, while the Gustard has x2 AKM4499 and is measuring worse.

Not sure, but probably they produced this DAC before they borrowed the AP55. I guess all future Gustard's will have stellar measurements like their X16.

R1PC

Can anyone help me

I need 220V , what is right now , both switches up as in the photo or one down

Sorry for the inverted image

Attachments

• 2020-12-23 18.10.14.jpg
    2020-12-23 18.10.14.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 161

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone help me

I need 220V , what is right now , both switches up as in the photo or one down

Sorry for the inverted image

It's both switches up or down if you don't want to smoke one of the toroids !!
I think the manual mentions it too.

Usually it's set correctly by the seller.
See page 2 on the manual.
" * When operating the international voltage switch, please be sure to set both switches to the
same voltage at the same time, otherwise the power transformers of the DAC-A22 will be damaged
after power-on.
"

Last edited:
Top Bottom