• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your must be an unhappy person too.

Just in posting this you made a personal comment toward me as if I made a personal.comment without provocation. You must be an unhappy person too. Have fun being unhappy with your you unhappy pretend scientists.
It's his website, his forums.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You must be an unhappy person too. Have fun being unhappy with your you unhappy pretend scientists.
We are not scientists. We follow what science says. And we do it cordially. If that is not for you, then by all means don't post anymore.

JjOz

Didn't you read about the serious ABX organized with many people, where a 29$ Fiio couldn't be spotted from a 3.000$ DAC?
It was not a dCS Debussy but the organizer of the contest rent one at some point but couldn't find it anything special.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...blind-test-audible-difference-whatsoever.html

dCS should give the composers a break, also!

I found this link reading through the comments. Interesting read, but very few details on the ABX test. 8 people, we don't know how many trials. I'd give this very little confidence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test#Confidence).

In the link we can also read "Cables, amplifiers, Lossy v.s. Lossless/HD, EQ'd mid drivers, DAC... Nope. Nothing is passing a ABX blind test.". I would have to disagree with at least the lossy vs lossless (Little test you can do yourself: https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality ).
Nop I don't think cables make a difference, nor think expensive DACS sound better, but be careful with ABX testing like this one. I'm working as an experimentation designer and I have seen very little well-designed ABX test in the links we can find around.

I'm going to run an experimentation with ~30 people this month, trying to tell if people can tell the difference with 128 kbs and lossless CD. I might share the results, power calculation and CI ;)

Viper Necklampy

Measurements are amazing, but i see the distortion in high frequencies are not being mentioned even once, why that? And, i would like to see how it extend that 'distortion' on 20 to 50khz too, or more.. I mean, you can see that, It's the only minor thing that something like smsl d1 doesn't have..

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Measurements are amazing, but i see the distortion in high frequencies are not being mentioned even once, why that? And, i would like to see how it extend that 'distortion' on 20 to 50khz too, or more.. I mean, you can see that, It's the only minor thing that something like smsl d1 doesn't have..
As shown in the multitone measurement, the distortion doesn't rise at higher frequency. It should be an varying ultrasonic noise that caused it. You can go to d50s thread for little more detail.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The curve usually tracks the same above 20 kHz that is below:

index.php

Since you can't hear the main tone above 20 kHz, you certainly can't hear distortion products many dBs lower.

Viper Necklampy

The curve usually tracks the same above 20 kHz that is below:

index.php

Since you can't hear the main tone above 20 kHz, you certainly can't hear distortion products many dBs lower.
You're saying i can't hear the distortion of the treble? Sorry if i didn't speak well, but in the graph it rises and rises...
I had to decide between Topping d70 (0,9db loss on 20hz-20khz freq. Response ; too much for my 21yr old ears) Smsl d1 (imd hump and 0,5db loss) and this (treble distortion that my 789 don't like to be paired with!!)
Help :(

Viper Necklampy

As shown in the multitone measurement, the distortion doesn't rise at higher frequency. It should be an varying ultrasonic noise that caused it. You can go to d50s thread for little more detail.
In which frequencies you mean it doesn't rise? <20khz? Because thd+n vs frequency i see that it rises past 2khz, what multitone do to it then? I do not know what is the multitone test, but i see there Is treble 'distortion' on the thd graph.. Not even mentioned once, so maybe i'm simply wrong (But i should have already been silences about), or more simply there is very little to worry about that, but I'm worried..
Edit: Hey! Why i see this on their measurements?? It does not have that treble distortion, why? (Photo)

Attachments

• HTB1AiP_bnjxK1Rjy0Fnq6yBaFXaZ.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
    HTB1AiP_bnjxK1Rjy0Fnq6yBaFXaZ.jpg_640x640q90.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Viper Necklampy

Could someone tell me if this Dac have oversampling? For example, if i use it via optical with an old device non hi-res 44-48khz, can the dac upsample it to hi-res? Or pcm to dsd conversion, as i see dsd on filter?
That would sell me directly :)

Last edited:

Bamyasi

In which frequencies you mean it doesn't rise? <20khz? Because thd+n vs frequency i see that it rises past 2khz, what multitone do to it then? I do not know what is the multitone test, but i see there Is treble 'distortion' on the thd graph.. Not even mentioned once, so maybe i'm simply wrong (But i should have already been silences about), or more simply there is very little to worry about that, but I'm worried..
Edit: Hey! Why i see this on their measurements?? It does not have that treble distortion, why? (Photo)

For each frequency point, the THD+N plot shows sum of all distortion components in the 90 kHz bandwidth, not just distortion at this particular frequency. So the distortion rise in the upper region of the input signal frequency range is most likely caused by ultrasonic harmonics, e.g. poorly filtered out aliasing noise around 85 kHz. Such ultrasonics are totally inaudible even at the 0 db level, much less at -90 dB as the plot shows.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Probably different cause from d50s.
As we know that thd+n vs frequency graph from amrim has 90khz bandwidth. So it could be somewhere in ultrasonic range.
However as you shown from manufacturer, ut does rise with 22k bandwidth.(it does rise after 2khz.) The cause of the difference is the measurement bandwidth. 22khz low pass will remove all distortion over 11khz and all thrid harmonics over 7khz.
Question is why not shown in multitone probably just to gradual to see.
And finally, is it audible? Most likely not.

Majestyk

Does anyone know why this DAC gets so hot? Someone on head-fi mentioned it heats up to 50 degrees Celsius. Surprising since it has vents on either side. Could this temp be problem over time?

evrial

Any A/B blind tests of this unit and DX3Pro? Anything audible at all?

Viper Necklampy

Ok, you know what! I'll get it tomorrow on Amazon, so, which one version would you choose, and why?
: Usb vs non usb? :

Does this review was tester in optical?
It Also says Dsd64 (DOP mode) via optical: What does it means? It upsample the pcm to dsd64??

mac

Forum Donor
Does anyone know why this DAC gets so hot? Someone on head-fi mentioned it heats up to 50 degrees Celsius. Surprising since it has vents on either side. Could this temp be problem over time?

It has two large heat sinks (under ribbon cables) mounted to large chips. Assuming they're the DAC chips but not certain.

IMGP1674.JPG

Top Bottom