• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The amplifier runs really warm, not hot, but close to it. Butter melting warm I'd describe it. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Mine does the same thing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Toslink does not work with 192khz files from my computer or my iBasso dx200. No matter what settings I put within the DAC, it will not play 192khz.
The unofficial limit for Toslink is 96 kHz. Some devices do better. Others do not. GPLL settings may impact this. Have you tried it?

deafenears

Forum Donor
Mine does the same thing.
Same here, I was surprised at how warm it runs.

Anyone else having issues with the volume up button (on the device itself and not the remote)? Where instead of increasing volume, it changes the input type (same function as both left and right).

Topher5

For mine the up and down buttons on the device work the volume just fine. I haven't had your same experience where it switches inputs, I'll play with it later to double check.

Topher5

The unofficial limit for Toslink is 96 kHz. Some devices do better. Others do not. GPLL settings may impact this. Have you tried it?

Hey there, I did play with all settings including GPLL etc. The only thing that would happen when I turn to bypass, would be the screen would rapidly flip back and forth from 192khz on and off with no sound.

It's too bad optical doesn't work with 192khz, it works just fine on my SMSL SU-8 Version 2. ( It also doesn't work on my Sony TA-ZH1ES, but then the Sony manual lists maximum 96khz, and the X26 manual lists optical max to be 192khz. Even with the Sony 192khz over optical would play, but then skip every ten to fifteen seconds, rendering unusable to me)

linh0983

Toslink does not work with 192khz files from my computer or my iBasso dx200. No matter what settings I put within the DAC, it will not play 192khz. (Meanwhile my SMSL SU-8 Version 2 plays 192khz via optical just fine.) I do not want to only depend on USB so I wonder if this DAC can even play 192khz via Toslink. I also cant seem to get DSD over PCM to work via optical either.

My x26 . Toslink work with 192khz files . . .

linh0983

Lol with video proof no less! I even tried different cables. I'll give it another go. When did you get yours?

My stranport . . . ( Digital out put : AES , BNC , Optical & Analog out : RCA ) .

502DAC pro.jpg

Topher5

Lol with video proof no less! I even tried different cables. I'll give it another go. When did you get yours?

Hey does DSD over PCM work with optical for you as well? If so, I'd definitely try to get an exchange VS a refund

Old_School

One issue that has not been raised about the Gustard X26, is why after going all out to achieve a virtually perfect technical performance, did they not proceed one step further and get MQA licensing?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One issue that has not been raised about the Gustard X26, is why after going all out to achieve a virtually perfect technical performance, did they not proceed one step further and get MQA licensing?
well mqa is bullshit why not just get dxd

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

Certain brands offer identical dacs with and without MQA. For instance Matrix Audio :

- Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro without MQA : 1.595 €
- Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro with MQA : 1.845 €

That's 250 € difference you pay for listening to a partially lossy codec.
That would IMO put the Gustard X26 in a price range not many people are willing to pay.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Problem could be on MQA side (being concerned about licensing to Chinese companies). Do we have examples of other smaller brand Chinese companies with MQA in them?

Veri

Master Contributor
Problem could be on MQA side (being concerned about licensing to Chinese companies). Do we have examples of other smaller brand Chinese companies with MQA in them?
Besides Matrix I don't think so. ESS is bridging the gap with their upcoming new MQA-capable chips though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Besides Matrix I don't think so. ESS is bridging the gap with their upcoming new MQA-capable chips though.
That would solve the implementation barrier. But licensing needs to be there and having done that in the past in my corporate work, it can be tricky.

There is also some stigma attached to such licensing. High-end western DAC companies may have implicitly or explicitly relied on such license not be available to low cost chinese companies.

Top Bottom