• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

terlino

All my problems is the ESS USB input!
Not works with all system based on Linux!
And other many!

Veri

Master Contributor
All my problems is the ESS USB input!
Not works with all system based on Linux!
And other many!
On head-fi others also experienced problems with the U16 interface... seems far from stable.

terlino

Hello
I have tested with an Gustard U12 to Gustard X26U I2S
But I have same problems with DSD direct
Now in Daphile it is possible set DSD direct

terlino

Are you saying from Shenzhen Audio ?
They offer 30-days money back return policy.
I would not hesitate to return it, as based on the technical issues they should cover the shipping fees as well.

Yes but I have payed 110 Euro for customs

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Hello
I have tested with an Gustard U12 to Gustard X26U I2S
But I have same problems with DSD direct
Now in Daphile it is possible set DSD direct

Hi Lino :

You can PM me in Italian if you like, we can PM exchanging in your language if you like.

Sangram

Hello, I have receved the Gustard X26U just yesterday
I use Daphile and I have same problem.
For 16/44 all good, but for dff or dsf at start O.K. but after few seconds an hard shsssssssss for few seconds
After not problem and not problem if I put another dsf
On Daphile It Is possible only DSD to PCM DoP
I have some other problem, with file 96/24 or 192/24 same time of Is impossible reproduce It, the sound Is distorced totaly
Excuse for my english
Regards
Lino

The driver code for the ESS USB part may not have been integrated into the Linux kernel yet. Daphile will generally receive an update in a month or so after the kernel updates take place. You might want to check with Shenzen who can push the ESS team in preparing the correct open-source driver and getting it updated quickly.

For those with the remote power switch question, the power button on the remote doesn't work in the X20U pro or the X22, or the X26. There is no soft-off function in these units but the remote is a common recycled items from some other manufacturer.

Veri

Master Contributor
You might want to check with Shenzen who can push the ESS team in preparing the correct open-source driver and getting it updated quickly
I'm not even sure ESS is involved and this is a whole Gustard-specific thing. ESS has not even recommended this USB chip for DACs

gvl

Major Contributor
Is the Linux issue DSD related or PCM isn't working too?

Gizmoh

Issue is only Native DSD.

Just in, email from Gustard:

Currently, the ESS team is working of this Linux audio driver compatibility related issue.
If there is an update that can solve this problem, we will contact you as soon as possible.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Issue is only Native DSD.

Just in, email from Gustard:

Currently, the ESS team is working of this Linux audio driver compatibility related issue.
If there is an update that can solve this problem, we will contact you as soon as possible.

What ? Is it a joke or what ?
Customers who invested more than $1,000 for this DAC are now pushed in the corner with that joke of an answer ! :facepalm:
Manufacturers should clearly specify whether there are driver issues with anyone of the three major OS in the market, four perhaps including Android as well.
Pages of BS specs and not one single word abt. this compatibility issue. :facepalm:
This amateurish approach by some manufacturers cannot be accepted !

Reactions: rmo

airs

No longer on sale on shenzenaudio :(

$1399 for USB version. I was on the fence about the X26 vs RME ADI 2 DAC, looks like I'll go the RME route.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
For the USB driver issues with Linux, at long last Shenzhen Audio is reacting :

'The manufacturer is using the ESS USB solution, which is a new solution just listed, so the Daphile or Volumio system is not particularly good for its identification and compatibility. So if you want to buy X26 to connect these systems, please consult before buying, thank you!'

Better late than never ... :facepalm:

gvl

Major Contributor
Temporarily broken Linux native DSD support seems like a wrong reason to pass on an otherwise excellent DAC. The id will be compiled into kernel soon and it will work after that forever. Not like the first time it happens.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Temporarily broken Linux native DSD support seems like a wrong reason to pass on an otherwise excellent DAC. The id will be compiled into kernel soon and it will work after that forever. Not like the first time it happens.

Sure, but better is to postpone it's purchasing until the issue is solved.
Returning the unit because of that issue is perfectly legitimate at this stage.
What's not acceptable is instead the fact the manufacturer did not bother to test the machine for one of the basic application scenario.

Sangram

I agree. Linux USB Class Audio will work fine (up to 24/96). For all formats higher than this a driver is required simply because the kernel does not recognise those formats.

Thesycon had similar teething troubles when the first set of XMOS solutions launched. Amanero is extremely buggy on Linux even today, many years from launch.

Unfortunately Linux kernels are slow to update and various publishers then take time to integrate the new kernels. Even if ESS were to release the driver in a week, it is likely to take six months or so for every single distro to catch up. Users can integrate the drivers themselves, but often things like Volumio and Daphile are locked down tight so user updates aren't possible (no console access).

The bigger issue is whether ESS is actually taking responsibility for this and working on a Linux driver. Seeing how tightly they are buttoned up as a company, I doubt we will ever know.

Topher5

Hey everyone! I got this DAC yesterday and have been playing around with it for a few hours. Am I really glad I checked the back of this amp before plugging it in! The sliders were set to 220V and not 110V. After searching for drivers I managed to get it working well with Foobar via Windows 10. I've gotten it to play DSD and all other resolution file types I've thrown at it. It is a fantastic sounding DAC, but there are a few issues I am having that may cause me to return it.

Toslink does not work with 192khz files from my computer or my iBasso dx200. No matter what settings I put within the DAC, it will not play 192khz. (Meanwhile my SMSL SU-8 Version 2 plays 192khz via optical just fine.) I do not want to only depend on USB so I wonder if this DAC can even play 192khz via Toslink. I also cant seem to get DSD over PCM to work via optical either.

Android (Galaxy Note 9 via USB) works well using USB Audio Player Pro and in other phone apps in general. However, I run into an odd issue.
Whenever I play 192khz files, and I skip around within the song, or skip to the next track the songs severely glitch. The song slows down to about .25% percent speed, and then sounds like distorted 8-bit 1980's video-game music. Skipping around the track or even the album would give the same glitch. The only way to clear this is to exit the album. I can play any other high resolution PCM and I can't replicate this.

The amplifier runs really warm, not hot, but close to it. Butter melting warm I'd describe it. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Top Bottom