• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Grace Design Balanced DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting. Does the shield of the balanced cable have to be lifted to isolate ground loops?
No because it doesn't play a role in signal delivery.

Reactions: PSO

Labjr

Major Contributor
No because it doesn't play a role in signal delivery.

I run the mixing board for a local rock and roll band. I frequently have ground loop hum in different night clubs. It usually goes away by unplugging the cable to one of the stage monitors or some other piece of equipment and they all use balanced XLR cables?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I run the mixing board for a local rock and roll band. I frequently have ground loop hum in different night clubs. It usually goes away by unplugging the cable to one of the stage monitors or some other piece of equipment and they all use balanced XLR cables?
There is a limit to common mode rejection in equipment. If you exceed that, or equipment is not designed well, you still get hum.

PuX

it's on sale again.

what kind of XLR cables are 'good enough'? I remember amirm once said RCA for Amazon basics are good, what about XLR? they do have an XLR cable, but it's 6 feet (longer than needed in most cases) and sold as a single cable, not a pair. any other options? does it matter if it says 'microphone cable'?

AresHarvest

it's on sale again.

what kind of XLR cables are 'good enough'? I remember amirm once said RCA for Amazon basics are good, what about XLR? they do have an XLR cable, but it's 6 feet (longer than needed in most cases) and sold as a single cable, not a pair. any other options? does it matter if it says 'microphone cable'?

Doesn't matter if it says microphone cable, that's just one application.

As for which are good, they're mostly equal in that regard but non-name-brand connectors can vary in quality (snugness, strain relief, housing finish). I prefer making mine with Canare cable and Neutrik or Amphenol connectors.

Here's a pair of 2-foot pre-made cables that use those parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSP6X5T/

Labjr

Major Contributor
it's on sale again.

Mogami W2549 is popular bulk cable. Supposed to be neutral sounding. With some basic soldering skills, it's pretty easy to make your own cables.

waltzingbear

Mogami, Canare, and Gotham are all good (to excellent) cables to use. My favorite xlr is Neutrix, come in gold, silver or nickle contacts. You can order custom made cables from Redco.com with whatever cable (that they carry), length and connector. Just choose the custom cable tab. They genrally supply the pro audio world.

as an aside, you do not need to have two chips to do balanced, one reason is that there are a number of fine chips that do the deed in one chip. DRV134 from TI and THAT126x are two options that go from unbalanced to balanced that will drive just about anything and have excellent specs.

Cheers
Alan

Reactions: PSO

PuX

nice, Redco.com prices seem reasonable. although lots of choice can be overwhelming.

waltzingbear

star quad had higher noise rejection and higher capacitance per ft for signal. Depending on equipment used it may cause a difference.
Will Markertek make custom cables, news to me. Good if they have what you want.

KimbaWLion

I use Cardas Hexlink Gold. While not considered their best cable any more I like how my XLR connector cables look work so no complaints from me...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much any XLR cable is good enough. The main cost is the connectors.

Rem

Would introducing a random wall wart be bad for measurements? I have a random USB phone charger wall wart that fits the spec for it but... hmm.

Zerviscos

Hmm. Buying the SDAC-Balanced for the unbalanced output temporarily...for probably 1~2 years or longer before i probably decide to get a balanced amp. Do you think it's worth the investment over the modi 3? Tbh, I don't even know if I might buy a balanced amp anytime soon, but seeing as there's a buncha used good balanced amp that retail for around $150 to $200 like the H10 Gustard, I was thinking maybe the flexibility is worth it.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hmm. Buying the SDAC-Balanced for the unbalanced output temporarily...for probably 1~2 years or longer before i probably decide to get a balanced amp. Do you think it's worth the investment over the modi 3? Tbh, I don't even know if I might buy a balanced amp anytime soon, but seeing as there's a buncha used good balanced amp that retail for around $150 to $200 like the H10 Gustard, I was thinking maybe the flexibility is worth it.
Well if you want a balanced DAC for future proofing then yeah it's perfect, cheap.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

If you don't absolutely need a DAC right now then it makes sense to wait. Get what you need when you need it; there will be great (high quality, good measurement, inexpensive) balanced DACs in 1-2 years .... probably more than we have now.

If you need a DAC then personally I'd go for the Grace balanced SDAC. As Veri mentions it's worth it for future proofing. In addition to that I took a look at Amir's review of the Modi 3 and I was concerned about the issues he encountered with the USB input.

Top Bottom