• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Grace Design Balanced DAC

Zerviscos

If you don't absolutely need a DAC right now then it makes sense to wait. Get what you need when you need it; there will be great (high quality, good measurement, inexpensive) balanced DACs in 1-2 years .... probably more than we have now.

If you need a DAC then personally I'd go for the Grace balanced SDAC. As Veri mentions it's worth it for future proofing. In addition to that I took a look at Amir's review of the Modi 3 and I was concerned about the issues he encountered with the USB input.
I thought the USB issues were resolved?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am perfectly happy with my grace balanced dac for driving a sub.

qwerty88

If you don't absolutely need a DAC right now then it makes sense to wait. Get what you need when you need it; there will be great (high quality, good measurement, inexpensive) balanced DACs in 1-2 years .... probably more than we have now.

If you need a DAC then personally I'd go for the Grace balanced SDAC. As Veri mentions it's worth it for future proofing. In addition to that I took a look at Amir's review of the Modi 3 and I was concerned about the issues he encountered with the USB input.
I thought the USB issues were resolved?
The follow-up post was correct: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/post-104838

Apparently, Modi 3 had an issue with ASIO4ALL.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

KimbaWLion

I have one of those Little Bear MC2's also... It is a rather USEFUL and inexpensive fix. Otherwise you are looking at a Schiit preamp to get a few more features at a LOT more money...

Attachments

• Cavalli LQ C2 SMSM D1 with little bear small.jpg
    Cavalli LQ C2 SMSM D1 with little bear small.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of those Little Bear MC2's also... It is a rather USEFUL and inexpensive fix. Otherwise you are looking at a Schiit preamp to get a few more features at a LOT more money...
It would be nice to have it measured.

I just ordered a second one, by the way, it is as useful as having a swiss knife.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
What is the max voltage input this thing tolerate?
Would a standard 2.2V CD player RCA output overload it and cause distortion?

I had mine installed downstream my HD 990 CD Player from Harman Kardon (of which I do not know it's output impedance, 500 ohms perhaps - but just guessing ...) feeding my pair of A5+ from AudioEngine, with a 3-mt long RCA cabling to the powered speaker.
I did notice some kind of SQ degradation (some kind of bass reduction) when I moved the AudioEngine in another side of the room, adding abt. 6-mt of RCA cabling from the passive amplifier, so 9-mt for the new RCA cabling.
Maybe the longer cabling to the speakers put a little bit out of breath the CD player's output stage, so a current-related problem rather than a voltage one.
Just my guessing, though.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did notice some kind of SQ degradation (some kind of bass reduction) when I moved the AudioEngine in another side of the room, adding abt. 6-mt of RCA cabling from the passive amplifier, so 9-mt for the new RCA cabling.
Maybe the longer cabling to the speakers put a little bit out of breath the CD player's output stage, so a current-related problem rather than a voltage one.

How did you verify that observation?

Damian

Unfortunately, no. If you only use the XLR input on the 789, then you will not be able to use the SE line out. In other words, the SE line out will only output whatever is being fed to the SE input.

Just for curiosity's sake, though, I used both the balanced and unbalanced outputs from the SDAC Balanced, and fed both right into the 789. I confirmed I was able to get the same signal on the 789, playing simultaneously, with just a flick of the input switch in front. (Of course, the obvious difference, being the ~6 dB gain between the two inputs.) Also, since the unbalanced connection was present, naturally, the SE line out continued to work, feeding my STAX amp - regardless of which input was actively being used through the 789 itself.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend such a convoluted setup to anyone (because you might as well feed the unbalanced signal from the SDAC-B directly to the Atom instead), but the concept does work - I just can't think of any use case to support its existence.

You should be banned from the forum for this false info. I read you and was like WTF.. I had to continue a reading a few pages down so someone with correct knowledge would have a correct answer.

covertash

You should be banned from the forum for this false info. I read you and was like WTF.. I had to continue a reading a few pages down so someone with correct knowledge would have a correct answer.

Lol, ok? Nothing I have written is false, so I don't know what you are going on about. It is widely known that the THX 789's pass through is single ended only. Plus, I still have all of the aforementioned hardware, right in front of me, for real world confirmation that it is true.

Veri

Master Contributor
He is talking about the passthrough. It's true that output won't work with XLR input.

Normal SE headphone output still works. I think you are confusing SE output and passthrough output.

Damian

He is talking about the passthrough. It's true that output won't work with XLR input.

Normal SE headphone output still works. I think you are confusing SE output and passthrough output.

it was not mentioned like that. I wouldn’t mind no XLR pass trough as that should/can be taken care by the DAC. The takeaway is inputs give output to both SE and Balanced ( at least what I understand after reading the thread)

covertash

it was not mentioned like that. I wouldn’t mind no XLR pass trough as that should/can be taken care by the DAC. The takeaway is inputs give output to both SE and Balanced ( at least what I understand after reading the thread)

As a matter of fact, it was "mentioned like that". My entire response was to answer the question ExpertNoob asked, which I quoted in my original reply (and I will emphasize for you):

Wow. Thank you. This works regardless of the input of the DAC or only on RCA unbalanced input?

Please feel free to go back and confirm for yourself, if you think I am somehow still spreading false information.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What does "Distortion Limited" mean in this review?
SINAD consists of distortion and noise components. In this case the distortion is much higher in quantity than the noise hence the final SINAD is limited by distortion.

Damian

Is there anything better to pair with the 789 that doesn’t cost an arm now? The SU8 seems unreliable and massdrop is shipping the grace in August.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is there anything better to pair with the 789 that doesn’t cost an arm now? The SU8 seems unreliable and massdrop is shipping the grace in August.

Depends on what features you need/want but the SONCOZ LA-QXD1 is $199 U.S. If you're in the U.S. you should to contact them directly through ASR as I don't think their online retail sites work very well. Sophia Ann is the member to PM if you're interested.

1594410544951.png

Top Bottom