• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Geshelli ENOG2 Pro DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Nowadays most PC have Toslink output, so the lack of usb is not that big problem.
Can we get some Toslink measurement?

Seriously ? I have only come across 1 in the past few years. Maybe I have looking at the wrong stuff? :oops:
Which particular ones are you talking about ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can we get some Toslink measurement?
The dashboard did not change. However, jitter and noise are higher with Toslink:

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO DAC Jitter Toslink versus Coax Measurements.png

Probably not an audible difference though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, if you still have the unit would it be possible that you measure the output impedance of the RCA and XLR outputs, please? :)
Sure. Here is both at 1 kHz:

RCA = 47 ohm
XLR = 104 ohm

Reactions: pos

Voo

would measurements change with dac's different output voltages? I found I dont like the highest output voltage on dac with my thxaaa789 amp. I use middle...but I like high output with loxjie p20.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
would measurements change with dac's different output voltages? I found I dont like the highest output voltage on dac with my thxaaa789 amp. I use middle...but I like high output with loxjie p20.
Yes. Here is the SINAD with balanced:

Full output (4.3 volts) = 107
Next step (0.9 volt) = 96
Last step (0.29 volt) = 86

I suspect this a digital attenuation so the noise floor does not go down (appreciably) when you lower the output level.

Voo

thank you very much...I have enog2 pro dac using xlr...I take it by these measurements we should use rca instead because it performs better...disappointing

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
thank you very much...I have enog2 pro dac using xlr...I take it by these measurements we should use rca instead because it performs better...disappointing
If you ever suffer from ground loops, balanced can be a godsend. And the difference may not be audible between the two.

NDRQ

Seriously ? I have only come across 1 in the past few years. Maybe I have looking at the wrong stuff? :oops:
Which particular ones are you talking about ?

I am using this one, but as i saw almost every mid tier or better mobos having toslink output.

amirm: Thanks for the toslink measurement.

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you ever suffer from ground loops, balanced can be a godsend. And the difference may not be audible between the two.

There's always the RCA to XLR cable as a partial mitigation if the RCA output performs better.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
There's always the RCA to XLR cable as a partial mitigation if the RCA output performs better.

I do not think the RCA to XLR adapter covers you from the ground loop ..., which might be here the only reason for which one upgrades the outgoing from the RCAs to XLRs ...

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do not think the RCA to XLR adapter covers you from the ground loop ..., which might be here the only reason for which one upgrade the outgoing from the RCAs to XLRs ...
Partial CMRR? Whatever that means. I dunno, but the extra wire from RCA shield to XLR pin 3 allows for a separate pathway for ground noise, so I dunno?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a pity @amirm cannot get any KORG DS-DAC100 to test, I have it but it does not make any sense to ship it to him from France ...
I actually have one on loan and is on the test bench right now....

Voo

I hooked up some rca's along with xlr out to the thxaaa789 and noticed a good drop in output compared to xlr. Is this expected and the norm for rca vs xlr? I was listening on headphones and just pressing the input button on amp in/out.

Legion1capone

That's because there is a much higher VRMS output on the XLR compared to the RCA. 2Vrms on the RCA and 4.3vrms on the XLR.

I hooked up some rca's along with xlr out to the thxaaa789 and noticed a good drop in output compared to xlr. Is this expected and the norm for rca vs xlr? I was listening on headphones and just pressing the input button on amp in/out.

Reactions: Voo

Voo

thanks. my 1st external dac so learning as I enjoy it.

Top Bottom