• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Geshelli ENOG2 Pro DAC

Newk Yuler

You did read this post by Amir right ? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

It's like you guys in this thread are fully in denial

LOLs. :D Yes, sir. I was hoping Amir would add the Empirical Audio Dynamo LPS to that mix while he had it with the Synchro Mesh. Did I miss something? That supply is as "boutique" as a LPS gets.

It's not denial AFAIC. It's using what I have and considering its use a squashed variable when toying with component combinations. If I wanted an "end game" system I would watch for the best measured high value components that cross Amir's bench, buy a Gustard X26 and stop thinking about it for a few years. That's not how I play with this hobby.

As far as the other guys spending on linear supplies in this thread, if they perceive an improvement using them in spite of ASR's empirical data to the contrary, then whatever. The only damage done is to their wallets and maybe a small, vague contribution to audiophoolery. If it creates personal happiness then there is genuine value in it. The people here just for extraordinary test results can scoff and enjoy scoffing as usual. There's genuine value in that too. ;) I just wish some of you guys would openly admit enjoying it and contributing to having a good time here at ASR.

You may enjoy this... In a week or so I'll be trying this simple TDA1543 DAC sandwiched between an Off Ramp 5 and a Dynamo LPS. Then maybe adding simple mods to it. Someone here looked at me sideways for putting a Geshelli ENOG2 DAC in that setup. You guys don't seem to be getting that I'm an oddball tech dweeb who enjoys throwing questionably cheap components into that situation just to see how good they can sound. I realize the meager limits of the TDA1543 (would bench test like HELL) and it's in no way a DAC to be used for resolving systems but it has been my experience it has a potential for producing a very pleasant sound when it's well implemented.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
LOLs. :D Yes, sir. I was hoping Amir would add the Empirical Audio Dynamo LPS to that mix while he had it with the Synchro Mesh. Did I miss something? That supply is as "boutique" as a LPS gets.
I returned that already so can't test it anymore.

bequietjk

In the process of making a sweet AC power cable for my CSI LPS right now ^_^

Already replaced another LPS' stock power cable with a higher gauge, simple twist and braiding and had fine results. Stoked!

Attachments

• sweetcable.png
    sweetcable.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 206

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
There are many reasons why have not added USB to our products.

Geno (my other half) worked from the early through mid-2000’s on embedded USB designs. His main job at the time was working on boxes to give folks with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) a voice. He was solely responsible for this function and has a vast amount of experience in USB design and requirements.

When we set out to design our first DAC, we had to consider that USB audio requires a strong support infrastructure to handle drivers, upgrades, OS issues, Windows/MAC operating system issues, etc. At this time, we simply do not have the staff to support the level of effort required for this.

With our current form factor, we do not have the room on our boards for a separate USB audio chip set.

We do listen to what people want to see in our products. We talk about the demand for USB. In a future designs and growth, we may be able to conquer the above concerns and still maintain the level of customer support and service that we have set for ourselves.
Great response and reasoning, but I'd love to have a Geshelli stack with a USB DAC & Archel Pro. It would be the best audio headphone stack for the money imo

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I can predict the review without even watching the video *interspersed with off color comments and jokes, plus random rants); commenting on the lack of USB, talking about the clear case and how bright the LEDs are, pointing to a bunch of different random amps to pair it with, commenting on XLR bridge, reasoning why the SPIDF and optical alone make sense, referring to the price point, recommending a buy.

Seriously, I can't waste my precious time listening to charlatans.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I can predict the review without even watching the video *interspersed with off color comments and jokes, plus random rants); commenting on the lack of USB, talking about the clear case and how bright the LEDs are, pointing to a bunch of different random amps to pair it with, commenting on XLR bridge, reasoning why the SPIDF and optical alone make sense, referring to the price point, recommending a buy.

Seriously, I can't waste my precious time listening to charlatans.
You basically nailed it on the head. I also think that guy is a total joke. After I watched a couple reviews from him about gear that I already owned; I realized that he knows nothing and doesn't even understand how to review gear.

bequietjk

Reading earlier comments, I'm pretty curious about the impedence of this one. Anyone have impedence measurements for this?

Will there ever be a Master Impedence Chart released, @amirm ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will there ever be a Master Impedence Chart released, @amirm ?
The latest version is always in reviews of headphone amps:
index.php

@pozz can advise if there is a version in the master list. I thought there was.

bequietjk

Archel2 is on there but ENOG2 isn't.

Is there a way to measure impedence with DMM or do we need a scope and or analyzer?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I never tested the ENOG2. I sent it back to them as requested.

Is there a way to measure impedence with DMM or do we need a scope and or analyzer?
Sure. Just look for the procedure online. Play a pure tone at say 100 Hz. Measure the output level using the meter. Then hook up a 33 ohm power resistor and measure the voltage again. The two different voltages together with the 33 ohm value lets you compute the output impedance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Enog2 does not have a headphone out so isn't on the list.
The output impedance of the ENOG isn't of any importance and can safely be anything between 0 Ohm and 1kOhm and have no influence at all.
Looking at the pictures of it I am pretty sure the output R is 47 Ohm (R24 and R25) so it may not be the wisest thing to connect a low impedance headphone (via a conversion cable) directly to the RCA out or XLR outs.

Veri

Master Contributor

Why are you looking up impedance out of a DAC, exactly

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Reading earlier comments, I'm pretty curious about the impedence of this one. Anyone have impedence measurements for this?

Will there ever be a Master Impedence Chart released?
The chart is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurement-comparison-charts.8246/post-207212

Unfortunately it's out of date because I got tired of manual updating and around the same time a solution was offered for interactive charts. That's still in the works, unfortunately. I'm still maintaining the master data sheet, so I can generate another one for you, but it will take some time with my workload.

Music&space

Just plugged in the Geshelli Enog 2 pro in a macbook pro with mini toslink (audioquest cinnamon), out to Edifier s3000 pro. I must say that these speakers sound pretty good with bluetooth, an indication I suppose that they carry a decent dac in them.

With the Enog 2 pro in high gain the sound is noticeably more dynamic. Maybe also a bit clearer. I also noticed a bit of difference between line and xlr output (the edifiers support both inputs so i was able to quicjly switch between them with one button). After adjusting for the higher level with xlr it feels that low frequencies are a bit clearer with line out. But, take this with a grain of salt.

Overall, I am very happy with this little product! I won't mention lots of adjectives as these might be a placebo effect and I will just say with lots of confidence that the sound has become way more dynamic.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just waiting for a USB one that will perform like the Archel2 Pro :)
Definitely. Now that it has been 15 months, perhaps Geshelli has had time to contemplate the complexities of driver development and anticipated customer support issues that prevented them from implementing USB. Another suggestion for a future Geshelli DAC: please move the digital inputs and the power input to the back of the unit. A second front USB input would be fine. However, with inputs on one side and outputs on the other, with wires shooting out in both directions, the Enog is an ergonomic mess!

Top Bottom