• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of FX Audio DAC-X7 DAC & Amp

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just convenience as it eliminates another power supply. For D50 for example, I power it from my computer.

So micro USB will give juice and USB data? I will try it.

By the way, did you see any FR or phase weird behaviour when you tested it? Those are the most common rewiever complains online but they don't provide measures.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @amirm ,
Were your tests run at 24bit / 96kHz?
I'd like to set my unit to the same values so that it will be at least as good.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I just come back from holiday and plugged again the X7.
I forgot about the following bug I can't get rid of: when I launch a track in Foobar, the two first seconds are missing. Similar behaviour noticed by other users on other forums in french.
I don't think there have been a firmwire update for that.

FireLion

This was supposed to be the successor to the X6 which mainly gets touted as a headphone DAC, when it released originally they had no driver for the longest time. It had less power than the original but you got a 4490 and display. Mixed bag if I am honest, sounded alright but was out shined by competition and was an extra about $120 over the X6 which was a bit steep.

Last edited:

dudewithcans

Conclusions
You pay less, and you get less. The FX Audio DAC-X7 costs less than Topping DX3 Pro and delivers less features (no Bluetooth) and less performance across the board. If you want the best in budget combo DAC and headphone amp, my recommendation remains the Topping DX3 Pro.

to be fair, the x7 is MUCH CHEAPER in EU than dx3pro.

dx3pro is 220euro.
x7 goes for 125euro.

that is way less and so we can say the x7 is a good low budget option if you need a dac/headphone amp.
thank you for the review and your hard work. x7 is now a device that can be recommended without hesitation...
cheers.

FireLion

to be fair, the x7 is MUCH CHEAPER in EU than dx3pro.

dx3pro is 220euro.
x7 goes for 125euro.

that is way less and so we can say the x7 is a good low budget option if you need a dac/headphone amp.
thank you for the review and your hard work. x7 is now a device that can be recommended without hesitation...
cheers.

It's alright for that i guess if you have easy to drive headphones. I would get something like this as it has more power and BT. https://www.ebay.com/itm/132645425910

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonight I finished setting up what is kind of a third system in my little flat.
A pair of JBL 305p mk2 connected to the RCA out of this DAC X7, fed by a random Sony DVD player in coaxial.

I had to plug the DVDP and the DAC on one socket and the monitors on another socket to get rid of a hum.
With the JBL gain at 6, the hiss is very very slight 2 meters away.

Good cheap setup imo.

Rodorufo

I am having trouble choosing which one will I get:

FX-AUDIO DAC-X7 or TOPPING D30 or TOPPING DX3 Pro

All of these had almost the same price tag as of now.

I have AKG Q701 hedphones.
All I care is about SOUND QUALITY, and reliability/ longevity of the device.

I will use it as DAC for watching movie, and MUSIC from my PC.
Currently I am using Fiio X3 Second gen + Fiio A3 amp for my set-up. Are any of the said DACs will be a step-up in terms of sound quality?
I don't care about bluetooth connection.

Thanks in advance for the answer/s.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 152

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Currently I am using Fiio X3 Second gen + Fiio A3 amp for my set-up. Are any of the said DACs will be a step-up in terms of sound quality?

I would avoid the Dac X7 if you plan to listen via USB from a PC. I don't know if all units behave the same, but mine has a 1 to 2 seconds delay at the start of an album, so you might not hear the very beginning of some songs.
Via optical or coaxial no problem though.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amatuer hour.

But would the test results be the same if this was used as a pre amp to power up a power amp for larger speakers? What am i looking for in the tests? WHy I ask is because all the tests seem to relate to the headphone/DAC but many of us are looking for the best value of these small DACs as Pre amps.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amatuer hour.

But would the test results be the same if this was used as a pre amp to power up a power amp for larger speakers? What am i looking for in the tests? WHy I ask is because all the tests seem to relate to the headphone/DAC but many of us are looking for the best value of these small DACs as Pre amps.
The Dac results are obtained through the pre-amp.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Dac results are obtained through the pre-amp.

So it should work just as well with as a preamp to a power amp as it would with a headphone amp?

raif71

Major Contributor

I too have Fiio X3II... currently using coax out to connect to dac/amp or receiver. So what did you choose out of the three ?

Lewye

changeable opam rca effect output s it effective

For LM4562 and OPA275

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Online very subjective review here:

In the comments, someone says there are two versions of the DAC X7 :
V4 is the older version and V8 is the latest
Unfortunately, you can check it only by opening the unit, on the internal pcb its labeled V4 or V8, OR if you have the spec sheet; V4 uses OPA2604 amplifier while the V8 uses OP275+LM4562 amplifier
That confirms what I learnt in this french review: https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/hi-fi/bancs-d-essai/fx-audio-dac-x7-restitution-claire181524, though they say they have a V10.

Here's how to know which version you have:
1578925128872.png

1578925608155.png

We don't know yet which version Amir reviewed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom