• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Kouioui

Forum Donor
ROFL. Thing is some might like the idea of both headphones and speakers working together.. though it makes zero sense to me too.
With my K5 I use a smart AC powerstrip for the powered speakers and sub. The K5's dual output is an advantage as I sometimes listen to just the sub and headphones together to feel the whole body physical bass impact that headphones alone can't provide. Both are well matched in perceived volume.

I use Google Assistant's voice control routines for the strip's individual sockets so all I have to say is "hey Google, sub only" and it performs the proper power switching and another for speakers on and off.

Last edited:

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
K5 pro / DX3 Pro / iFi Nano BL or any you are thinking ..........
what is your choice for hd 599 and why ?
DX3 Pro has clicking and QC issues. ifi nano BL has analogue volume control and is butt-ugly.
The worst thing I can say about K5 Pro is that it requires drivers to work.

L5730

I'm guessing it's this:
https://www.fiio.com/Driver_Download

1582901924694.png

Rockfella

Forum Donor
DX3 Pro has clicking and QC issues. ifi nano BL has analogue volume control and is butt-ugly.
Can be eliminated with optical connection but then the mainboard needs to have optical out.

L5730

Can be eliminated with optical connection but then the mainboard needs to have optical out.
Then you will be forced to the maximum sample rate that can be sent over optical from the mainboard. DSD will be forced to be DoP (is that even an issue?) and will be limited to the lower speeds.
Let's just say, it [dx3pro] should just work whatever the input connection.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Then you will be forced to the maximum sample rate that can be sent over optical from the mainboard. DSD will be forced to be DoP (is that even an issue?) and will be limited to the lower speeds.
Let's just say, it [dx3pro] should just work whatever the input connection.
Yep. I hear hissing/weird noises when connected with USB. It is not audible on Fiio E10. No clue what it is but it is loud enough for me to make me use E10 for gaming. I gave without game music and during those silent scenes the "noise" is too much. Hence I was thinking of going Optical.

Guy’s, high gain on 50ohm HD599 headphone can be hurt it or broken it ?
1 guy on youtube was comment it 598cs broken at high gain !!!!!!

dwa

Guy’s, high gain on 50ohm HD599 headphone can be hurt it or broken it ?
1 guy on youtube was comment it 598cs broken at high gain !!!!!!
I might be wrong, but I think this is possible. HD599 is rated for 0.5W max power, K5 Pro can deliver much more at 50ohms.
Amir measured about 1W at 33ohms, Fiio claims 1.5W, so it can be around 0.7W at 50ohms.

I might be wrong, but I think this is possible. HD599 is rated for 0.5W max power, K5 Pro can deliver much more at 50ohms.
Amir measured about 1W at 33ohms, Fiio claims 1.5W, so it can be around 0.7W at 50ohms.
thanks for information

Last edited:

rar133

w.r.t to the SINAD, is this more an issue when driving headphones through the 1/4inch output or does this impact the K5pro when used exclusively as a USB DAC to drive studio monitors through the line out?
i am waiting for a shop locally to re stock the k5pro and don't know what to make of those measurements.
this dac has 'potentially' solved my home setup. i do not listen to headphones (except my gaming cans which i plug straight to my pc anyway). i use exclusively my studio monitors and IEMs.

my perfect setup:
PC -/ USB> k5 pro -> studio monitors
BTR3 (phone/ tv box) -> k5 pro (line in) - > studio monitors

My biggest question: Is the K5 Pro a good stand alone dac? which metrics should i use to judge that??

Kouioui

Forum Donor
my perfect setup:
PC -/ USB> k5 pro -> studio monitors
BTR3 (phone/ tv box) -> k5 pro (line in) - > studio monitors
My biggest question: Is the K5 Pro a good stand alone dac? which metrics should i use to judge that??
I route my external HDMI audio sources (OTA TV - UHD Disc Player - Chromecast) from optical out on the TV thru a FiiO D3 DAC to PC analog line in. That gets summed with the internal PC audio thru Windows mixer to USB and a K5 Pro. Reason for doing so is I use Equalizer APO for speaker and headphone EQ. I find the K5's line outs plenty loud, clean, and as quiet as my JBL 305P studio monitors, which have their own self noise within 1ft.

Source switching is thru LG Smart Remote Chrome extension on PC or Android app. Speaker/Headphone switching is done with a smart AC powerstrip app using voice commands and APO configuration editor from Windows taskbar for EQ selection.

Last edited:

blse59

You do NOT need drivers for this. It's 100% plug and play despite what it seems the website says.

limon7

About the SINAD, Fiio announced the correct number should be 98db last Dec on weibo. Here's the link: https://overseas.weibo.com/user/3446862224/4452599774156787

He said they contacted the author (amirm?). Found the cause of the poor result is that the LO volume is adjustable, and out level was not set to 0dBFS in the test.

Is that true?
cd72f190gy1ga6dhr5qq2j213z0nujw4.jpg

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
About the SINAD, Fiio announced the correct number should be 98db last Dec on weibo. Here's the link: https://overseas.weibo.com/user/3446862224/4452599774156787

He said they contacted the author (amirm?). Found the cause of the poor result is that the LO volume is adjustable, and out level was not set to 0dBFS in the test.

Is that true? View attachment 52690

Their SINAD graph there is taken at 1.0 Vrms. Which makes it quite a different measurement from the ones here :/

Top Bottom