• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

raif71

Major Contributor
I pulled the trigger and got the k5 pro yesterday for my desktop setup. I came by this decision after trying it out at the local shop with several headphones (liking it), review of measurements here (tq Amir) and I don't plan to spend much (also meaning no budget ;)). Next will get a relatively cheap and able desktop powered speakers that can match with k5 pro. I've never before buy an active powered speakers. All my speaker purchases had been passive ones for my AV receivers. I'm right now leaning towards 2.1 setup of Edifiers or Logitech but would welcome any other suggestions.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I pulled the trigger and got the k5 pro yesterday for my desktop setup. I came by this decision after trying it out at the local shop with several headphones (liking it), review of measurements here (tq Amir) and I don't plan to spend much (also meaning no budget ;)). Next will get a relatively cheap and able desktop powered speakers that can match with k5 pro. I've never before buy an active powered speakers. All my speaker purchases had been passive ones for my AV receivers. I'm right now leaning towards 2.1 setup of Edifiers or Logitech but would welcome any other suggestions.
Stay away from Logitech. Consider studio monitors. Mackie CR series. PreSonus 3. I'm kinda done with 2.1s or any woofers now. If bass is high priority for you then consider Edifier S350DB. If you can then get Kali Audio LP6 or PreSonus 5 XT. You'll be set for years.

Last edited:

Mr:River

That's correct. I wish there was a good solution to change the volume control automatically for testing.
Hello.
Sorry my bad english sorry.
I'm about to buy a dac / amp and I'm still in doubt between Fiio K5 Pro vs Ifi nano black label, could you tell me which one would be better and why? Fidelity Headphones x2 + HD600.
Thanks

raif71

Major Contributor
Hello.
Sorry my bad english sorry.
I'm about to buy a dac / amp and I'm still in doubt between Fiio K5 Pro vs Ifi nano black label, could you tell me which one would be better and why? Fidelity Headphones x2 + HD600.
Thanks

1st of all, congrats on your first post :)
To me, they are 2 different types of dac/amp.... one is portable/transportable (ifi nano black) while the fiio k5 pro is definitely desktop material so it all depends on your needs. On another note, I noticed that you tagged Amir's post about him wishing there was a good solution to change volume control automatically for testing....why is that? What's the connection between your doubt between fiio k5 pro vs ifi nano and Amir's post?

Mr:River

1st of all, congrats on your first post :)
To me, they are 2 different types of dac/amp.... one is portable/transportable (ifi nano black) while the fiio k5 pro is definitely desktop material so it all depends on your needs. On another note, I noticed that you tagged Amir's post about him wishing there was a good solution to change volume control automatically for testing....why is that? What's the connection between your doubt between fiio k5 pro vs ifi nano and Amir's post?
Thanks.
I marked the message of the almir just to draw your attention to my doubt among the dac amp, did not pay attention to the fact of the internal message of the post.
Yes I know that one is portable and the other is desktop, but both can be used as something desktop and so wanted to know the sound differences from one to another.
By the way, if both had the same price, what would be the best safe purchase for the best sound?

Kosta

So I noticed that the manufacturer specs stats a SNR of 115 whereas here we have a SINAD of 80 something. Is Fiio just flat out lying or are they two different things?

EDIT:

I found out that as stated by @amirm SINAD takes into account distortion so not the same as SNR.

Last edited:

pcdinh

InkedBest Audio DAC Reviewed and Measured_LI.jpg

Fiio K5 Pro is quite bad at SINAD measurement. Red warning!

Veri

Master Contributor
View attachment 34819

Fiio K5 Pro is quite bad at SINAD measurement. Red warning!
For the price, the power output it is not too bad. Not a state of the art performance, but not too bad. It's probably fine for a lot of people. I agree that one doesn't need to be too alarmist about lower SINAD since overall, especially power-wise, it performs OK.

index.php

Amplification-wise overall it does good. To use as a DAC in line-out it is a bad purchase, but for an all in one headphone amp it would do well enough.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I just got mine and I can't power it up!

OMG What a bummer! I think I got a dead unit.

I am unable to power it up. Tried multiple sockets, no luck!

Crap I hate this :(

Maybe I am missing something.

Called up FiiO.in, pickup scheduled for tomorrow :)

1.jpg

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Oh my...I only tried a demo at my local shop and brought a brand new one home without opening up the box. Perhaps I should try it out tonight. So, @Rockfella , you got it via online or shop? In my case if anything is wrong, I can bring it back to the local shop.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Oh my...I only tried a demo at my local shop and brought a brand new one home without opening up the box. Perhaps I should try it out tonight. So, @Rockfella , you got it via online or shop? In my case if anything is wrong, I can bring it back to the local shop.
Local shop? Wow. Which country are you in? I spoke with a very good technician from Fiio.in.
A pick up has been arranged. All good for now.

raif71

Major Contributor
Glad you're all good @Rockfella . I'm in Malaysia btw. We have several headphone/dac/amp stores where I live. All my audio stuff I buy locally except for one. Owh, I found a shop here selling the Presonus and Mackie CR desktop speakers :)

Last edited:

Rockfella

Forum Donor

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Glad you're all good @Rockfella . I'm in Malaysia btw. We have several headphone/dac/amp stores where I live. All my audio stuff I buy locally except for one. Owh, I found a shop here selling the Presonus and Mackie CR desktop speakers :)
Lucky you. Demo both. Use same tracks same source etc.

raif71

Major Contributor

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-30 at 22.31.26.jpeg

So far mine is working. Picture showing DAP's connected to K5 Pro using coax cable. Hopefully you get back your unit soon @Rockfella

Top Bottom