• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, I will use this DAC between computer and active speakers. Is that better to use headphone out rather than line out for my speakers (I will rarely use headphone) considering the measurements and review here ? ( sorry I'm a noob).
Line out.

francky

Ok thanks for your answer. I was asking because the review says the line out isn't very good so I thought it could have been better on headphone out. I don't speak english very well and wasn't able to find the answer in the thread.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
I wonder if this is related to chip shortages, as has been the case with so many model version updates in the last year or so?

Or is it really a revision that will be significantly improved noise and distortion levels?
They were forced to revise it due to chip shortages. But they claim reduced distortion, and I believe there are more gain levels now which is an improvement.

gerG

Since this is a popular item, I will mention an alt application. I have two of them. One has been the dac/preamp in my truck for a couple of years (I will pause while you all catch your breath from laughing). It runs just fine on 12-14v DC, and it sounds great. I have even used it with headphones in there, but not a good thing to do while driving. I can run the output to whatever crossover/processor/amp that I feel like trying out. I feed it from lossless files on either an Android or Windwoes device. Fun setup, and it has been slam solid.
The other one is the front end on a portable system. Also not a typical implementation, but also very effective.
The reason that I am posting this is to point out that this device is very flexible, and it is quite durable.

Jimmy

From the press release from Fiio, I understand that the new ESS unit and the old AKM are functionally identical, gain levels are the same (three), and SINAD should be a bit higher, supossedly what afected SINAD was the volume control chip (SINAD was higher at lower voltage output levels, so it was a non issue from an audibility point of view).

What I would have liked them to introduce was a fixed RCA output, but it hasn't happened, and price has increased, let's wait for reviews, but I don't think that from the user's point of view this is a significant improvement (if it is at all).

luxonator

Can anyone who owns or has used this device confirm that

1. It doesn't have any kind of standby mode so when it's turned off it's actually turned off?
2. While connected to a PC via USB the operating system will lose the device (as expected) when this happens?
3. Will the device be automatically added back as the default output device in Windows when turned back on, or does one need to manually select it again after every time?

Cheers.

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
Can anyone who owns or has used this device confirm that

1. It doesn't have any kind of standby mode so when it's turned off it's actually turned off?
2. While connected to a PC via USB the operating system will lose the device (as expected) when this happens?
3. Will the device be automatically added back as the default output device in Windows when turned back on, or does one need to manually select it again after every time?

Cheers.
The K5 Pro has a physical power off as part of the gain knob - turned completely left it clicks into an off position and is entirely powered off.

When it is turned off, the USB device is not listed in Windows 10 anymore.

This has the result that, when you turn the K5 Pro on, it is discovered by windows and becomes the active audio device <-- then if I forget that, I I wonder why my audio is now coming out of my headphones instead of on the speakers.

cestmoi

What would be a good direct upgrade from K5 Pro (AKM version)?

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Overall, so more powerfull with lower distortions.
Any rec?

Harrycol501

Can I ask what I'm hoping aren't daft questions... When using the Line Out... Is this the same as DAC only mode and I can connect an external headohone amp to bypass the units own amp?

Also, when connected to Windows, if I use Tidal should I leave the Disable MQA Rendering unchecked?

Lastly, in Windows should I set them to highest settings in Advanced output?

coolajami

Can I ask what I'm hoping aren't daft questions... When using the Line Out... Is this the same as DAC only mode and I can connect an external headohone amp to bypass the units own amp?

Also, when connected to Windows, if I use Tidal should I leave the Disable MQA Rendering unchecked?

Lastly, in Windows should I set them to highest settings in Advanced output?
HI
1. yes, you can use an external amplifier connected to the line-out. I'm also using an analogue equaliser and an external amplifier for headphones in line with my K5 Pro. You should need to balance out the output volume, otherwise, you may get loads of distortion or even damage low impedance headphones.
2. K5 Pro does not render MQA, so if you want TIDAL to perform a software MQA rendering (or whatever is called) you should leave it unchecked.
3. Not sure about that ( I usually use Mac), I think there is a setting that you leave the output to control by the external device or something of the sort? again if you're talking about volume output you need to make sure you balance the output volume between your source, the DAC and the amp to optimise the sound delivery.
Hope that help.

Harrycol501

Thanks for that, good info.

I connected a Music Fidelity amp via the LO and this AMP stayed very clean and funnily enough, didn't have the distortion it has coming from other DACs I own at higher volumes. Only thing was, it was pretty bright.

I'm currently using the K5Pro as a Headphone Amp connected with my SMSL Sanskrit 10ii DAC. Let's me use the SMSLs remote (handy watching TV from optical). It's a great combo if you want to smoothen out the sound of brighter headphones and add some of that more lush, silky AK chip sound. I prefer this combo with my he400se than with the K5Pro alone. It takes the edge off quite noticeably.

I was going to sell the SMSL, but having the option of changing sources between the Saber DAC and AK depending on Headphone is handy.

The K5Pro is a great bargain price for the sound and versatility you get. Easy to recommend. The MQA not being a feature doesn't really matter much to me. Tidal sounds great.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for that, good info.

I connected a Music Fidelity amp via the LO and this AMP stayed very clean and funnily enough, didn't have the distortion it has coming from other DACs I own at higher volumes. Only thing was, it was pretty bright.

I'm currently using the K5Pro as a Headphone Amp connected with my SMSL Sanskrit 10ii DAC. Let's me use the SMSLs remote (handy watching TV from optical). It's a great combo if you want to smoothen out the sound of brighter headphones and add some of that more lush, silky AK chip sound. I prefer this combo with my he400se than with the K5Pro alone. It takes the edge off quite noticeably.

I was going to sell the SMSL, but having the option of changing sources between the Saber DAC and AK depending on Headphone is handy.

The K5Pro is a great bargain price for the sound and versatility you get. Easy to recommend. The MQA not being a feature doesn't really matter much to me. Tidal sounds great.
Other people will tell you ESS sounds more 'lush' so it all depends on how you interpret these totally unproven characteristics, I guess...

Ufasas

Got mine ESS unit, used but in excellent condition for 110, finally! I agree with lush team, the best sounding combos was k5 + xh2r & k5 + hd560s, most musical, punchy, fun, and akg k702 sounded too quiet, sadly

Attachments

• 20221007_234247_HDR.jpg
    20221007_234247_HDR.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 152

Sstorm

Regards to all. I plan to buy the newer ess version of this device. Are there measurements of this device and is it a good buy considering the akm version got a very bad rating. I need an all in one dac+headphone amp.

Sstorm

I have Sennheiser HD560s headphones and Harman Kardon amp and HiFi speakers.

Top Bottom