• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Amp

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I hope this isn’t too OT, a reality check on phono performance. This is a plot of a constant velocity 500Hz -50kHz sweep on a high-quality test LP (the TT setup here is from member JP and far beyond anything I have). We put together this Python script to display amplitude and the first two harmonics from a .wav file.

After looking at a lot of test LP’s and different frequency response tracks this clearly has the least number of unknown variables. A constant amplitude on the cutter head is reciprocal to an ideal constant velocity transducer, this eliminates RIAA conformance on both sides of the equation. So this is a true test of a cartridge’s frequency response.

As for frequency response this is one of the best I have seen, the harmonics speak for themselves. The flattening at the low end indicates that this is as good as it gets though as amplitude decreases the distortion will too.

I would gladly send the script to anyone that wants it, it runs out of the box with any Python install that includes the important signal processing and math modules, Anaconda for instance.

Attachments

• jsweepx.png
    jsweepx.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 204

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this isn’t too OT, a reality check on phono performance. This is a plot of a constant velocity 500Hz -50kHz sweep on a high-quality test LP (the TT setup here is from member JP and far beyond anything I have). We put together this Python script to display amplitude and the first two harmonics from a .wav file. [..]
I would gladly send the script to anyone that wants it, it runs out of the box with any Python install that includes the important signal processing and math modules, Anaconda for instance.
Raise hand.

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
As it turns out. The effect of the window was incorrectly stated. The AP equi-ripple increases, not decreases, the reported noise, and by a factor of 2.63 bin widths. Taking this and the effect of the increased actual bin width increase in the Asir measurements there is an apparent increase in reported noise of c. 4.7dB relative to the REW measurements.
When this is applied to the Emotiva response both it and the DIY amp have identical noise at 1kHz within my ability to "eyeball" the levels.
This being the case. There seems to be no more need to pursue having Amir measure the amp, as the only remaining mystery is how to better measure the RIAA characteristic using REW.

wynpalmer

Technical Expert
One final entry. I've finally managed (more or less) to get REW to measure the RIAA compliance.
lchriaaaccuracy.JPG
rchriaaaccuracy.JPG

It looks like the DC servo compensation probably needs a little tweak.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Raise hand.

Well the sound of one hand clapping. I should add that this script also works with any standard test LP sweep using RIAA just that all FR errors will be present. If you happen to have an LP with a constant velocity sweep it is usually intended for professional use with a flat pre-amp. I have never seen a cartridge that was better than +-0.5dB or -60dB THD YMMV.

Attachments

• sweep_response_harmonic.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 167

doodlebro

I bought this after realizing Emotiva gave me $100 store credit for buying an amplifier. Originally had a Schiit Mani on the way but glad I am returning it after comparing these reviews.

Really like this pre, have it tucked behind my AVR stand and glad it doesn't have a variable gain knob like the Art DJ Pre-ii it replaced. Seems to be a better match with my TT/Cartridge/Stylus but I have amateur ears so who knows.

JP

Major Contributor
I hope this isn’t too OT, a reality check on phono performance. This is a plot of a constant velocity 500Hz -50kHz sweep on a high-quality test LP (the TT setup here is from member JP and far beyond anything I have). We put together this Python script to display amplitude and the first two harmonics from a .wav file.

After looking at a lot of test LP’s and different frequency response tracks this clearly has the least number of unknown variables. A constant amplitude on the cutter head is reciprocal to an ideal constant velocity transducer, this eliminates RIAA conformance on both sides of the equation. So this is a true test of a cartridge’s frequency response.

As for frequency response this is one of the best I have seen, the harmonics speak for themselves. The flattening at the low end indicates that this is as good as it gets though as amplitude decreases the distortion will too.

Scott did I happen to mention which test record I used for that sweep?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
Could be. Thanks @restorer-john. Too many test records. I need to keep better notes!

Cwopete5

I had been spinning with the Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage for a long time now, but recently noticed when my amp (Vincent Audio SV-500) was turned up to half-volume, there was a lot more noise/hiss than expected. I swapped the XPS-1 out with a TCC TC-750 and the noise is gone. As a matter of fact, the TC-750 was dead silent all the way to full-volume. The music is clearer and more life-like with the TC-750. For a phono stage that goes for $43.50 plus another $12 for an upgraded power supply, it's an amazing performer and a bargain to boot. Maybe Amir can run one through his test regimen?
61DcyzoGbWL.jpg

Ecaroh

I had been spinning with the Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage for a long time now, but recently noticed when my amp (Vincent Audio SV-500) was turned up to half-volume, there was a lot more noise/hiss than expected. I swapped the XPS-1 out with a TCC TC-750 and the noise is gone. As a matter of fact, the TC-750 was dead silent all the way to full-volume. The music is clearer and more life-like with the TC-750. For a phono stage that goes for $43.50 plus another $12 for an upgraded power supply, it's an amazing performer and a bargain to boot. Maybe Amir can run one through his test regimen?
View attachment 247513
Second that request for testing! Cwopete, what are you using for a power supply? Thanks.

Cwopete5

Link on the PHONOPREAMPS.COM website for the premium 1.5 A power supply sold on eBay for $12. I can definitely hear the difference between the basic power supply that came with it. Sound stage is wider with greater depth. Realism of vocals and instrument placement is excellent. Very enjoyable with zero listener fatigue.

s-l500.jpg

Cwopete5

Second that request for testing! Cwopete, what are you using for a power supply? Thanks.
It's a very popular phono preamp. All kinds of user board discussions and DIY mods on the internet. Would be great to get some formal engineering testing. I'd do it myself (retired engineer) but I don't have much in the way of test equipment on hand. Can't get back into the labs at my old job at Raytheon. :rolleyes:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be great to get some formal engineering testing. I'd do it myself (retired engineer) but I don't have much in the way of test equipment on hand. Can't get back into the labs at my old job at Raytheon. :rolleyes:
You could start with Motu M2, or if budget allows, the RME ADI2 PRO or the Cosmos ADC (can't remember the name).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Link on the PHONOPREAMPS.COM website for the premium 1.5 A power supply sold on eBay for $12. I can definitely hear the difference between the basic power supply that came with it. Sound stage is wider with greater depth. Realism of vocals and instrument placement is excellent. Very enjoyable with zero listener fatigue.
It should be possible to do some measurements regarding the improvements of the soundstage, like channel separation (more than 40dB is impossible to reach due to the cartridge) and IMD (multitone). Using REW with any decent souncard should do the job.

Cwopete5

You could start with Motu M2, or if budget allows, the RME ADI2 PRO or the Cosmos ADC (can't remember the name).
That would be nice, but I'm retired now on a fixed income, hence the reason I'm using a $43 dollar phono preamp and a $39 phono cartridge. Appreciate the suggestion, of course.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be nice, but I'm retired now on a fixed income, hence the reason I'm using a $43 dollar phono preamp and a $39 phono cartridge. Appreciate the suggestion, of course.
You could try your on board soundcard. Run a loop back measurement to see how good/bad it is. Could be good enough for phono.

direwolf08

I just ordered one of these and would be interested to see how the “Gen 2” measures. Going to hook it up and listen for myself (it is replacing the built in phono input on my Yamaha A-S801), but I wonder if anything has changed?

direwolf08

I plugged the XPS-1 into "Line 1" on my Yamaha A-S801. Turntable is a Technics SL-1200mk5 with AT VM540ML cart. Speakers are HiVi DIY 3.1's.
Initial 'plug it in and listen' completely subjective thoughts on this thing:
1. It maybe sounds better? Vocals sounded a little bit clearer. I thought that sections that sounded muddy with the built-in Yamaha phono stage maybe sounded a little bit clearer, but I can't be sure about that.
2. It is definitely higher gain. I tried my best to roughly, informally level match the two inputs with a dB meter on my phone and had to turn the volume down by quite a bit to get them the XPS-1 level to match the Yamaha level.
3. There is also more noticeable background noise/hiss. This bothers me somewhat. But, to be honest, I only did that comparison at the same setting of the volume knob, so not exactly an accurate comparison.

Really wish I could find some measurements of the Yamaha stage to see how it objectively stacks up. As it is, I may do some more testing and decide whether or not to keep it. It did not blow me away though and given how great this thing measures and how much bad stuff I have read about the Yamaha phono stage, I was surprised I did not notice more of a difference.

Top Bottom