• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Emotiva XMC-1 Gen 2 Pre/Pro

JohnPM

Technical Expert
HOWEVER, what was very interesting was that when I set my PC's audio output to 16 bit, the muting went away.

24 bit = muting, 16bit = no muting. Very strange. This is the only way I can watch certain content if I want it to go through my AV system, PC only, no roku, and change to 16 bit output in windows.
Windows adds dither when reducing bit depth, as it should. Rather poor, cyclic dither, unfortunately, but dither nonetheless.

TonioRoffo

There would be good business for people to mod existing receivers/processors, add i2s or i2s into SPDIF outputs and use seperate DAC(s) with volume control.

I have 2 NAD M51 dacs of which I use one, you can pick them up used for very little. I'd love to use three of those connected to a receiver, with 5 channels of Ncore behind them.

rccarguy

What is the consensus with this av pre it should have many things fixed. Or is it still buggy and slow?

endian

Has anyone heard any response from Emotiva about the problems at level -90 dB ?
It seems to be a pretty nice unit in other aspects...

endian

I asked about Emotiva's response over here https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/55169/rmc-1-1l-xmc-choose?page=12

and got a couple of responses:

"Yes, Emotiva responded extensively and got right onto it with astonishing speed.
You are reading a 14 month old article then spreading mis-information!
Those issues were completely resolved by Emotiva within just a few days of being raised. "

and

"The problem is related to the Momentum Data Systems (MDS) implementation used for the XMC-1.
The Monoprice HTP-1 is newer MDS implementation that has the muting problem.
www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/monoprice-htp-1-home-theater-processor-review.11416/
The RMC-1(L)/XMC-2 do not have this issues because they are a new all Emotiva design "

What is your (the reviewer's) comments on these?
In the link above it seems there was a setting that could be changed to avoid this strange behavior at -90 dB.

righthookmike

I have a xmc-1 gen 2 that I wasn't using but just set it up as pre for a
I am MCH like you dudes.
I run 3 dacs through an I2S bridge from a PinkFaun streamer. That's 3 Matrix X Sabre Pros. EQ'd and DSP'd in JRiver.
On the output side I have the Benchmark and 3 NC400s.
The XMC-1 is in the middle. Only used as a switch and volume control...analog MCH inputs to the balanced outs.
But I do employ the HT function of the XMC through HDMI from Directv/Oppo.
I don't use Dirac as I never liked the bass management function, but I am proficient with REW and have produced a strong house curve.
Unfortunately, my room is a bit noisier than above, best I can get is high 30s.

So is the consensus that the XMC is the best I can do given the above?

And yes, MCH is just better. If you don't believe it, ask Floyd Toole as quoted above.
I'm using it the same way. computer running tidal>DAC>analog rca in balanced out on Emotiva>amplifier

moscoe

Yes, it's buggy and slow and I felt a strong desire to throw the unit out the window on more than one occasion while trying to get their custom DIRAC desktop software to work for more than 5 minutes without crashing... But at the price I paid for a refurbished unit the performance and DIRAC processing is unmatched. Once it's configured and up and running, it generally works just fine in day to day operation. Overall I am satisfied. For the ~$1k USD I paid, you can't find better performance in an AVR pre/pro for both stereo and home theater use. And the sound is gorgeous, my room has never sounded better.

Last edited:

Ongii

How many channels does the USB connection with a PC support?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom