• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks! I think I almost have all the info I need before choosing the dac/amp to use with my iPhone! The last thing I want to figure out is power consumption. Do you know how I could compare the power consumption between the Linsoul E1DA 9038S Susumu 3000 Gen3 (4 vrms), Luxury & Precision W2 (4 vrms), HIDIZS S9 PRO (4 vrms), Tempotec Sonata E44 (4 vrms), and DDHiFi TC44B (2 vrms)? They all seem to consume about 4 vrms except for the DDHiFi. Is this the figure that I need to look at in order to figure out which of these would drain my iPhone the quickest?

cheers,
Jon
1. The only way to compare power consumption across multiple dongles is to measure it yourself using something like this or this.
Alternatively you can search for measurement reports from others. The 9038SG3 draws 90mA=0.45W.

2. "2Vrms/4Vrms" is the maximum output voltage of these dongles and is in no direct correlation with their USB power consumption. The power consumption is measured in ampere or in watt.
Please do not confuse these two specs.

Last edited:

jonathane40

1. The only way to compare power consumption across multiple dongles is to measure it yourself using something like this or this.
Alternatively you can search for measurement reports from others. The 9038SG3 draws 90mA=0.45W.

2. "2Vrms/4Vrms" is the maximum output voltage of these dongles and is in no direct correlation with their USB power consumption. The power consumption is measured in ampere or in watt.
Please do not confuse these two specs.

Thanks staticV3, that makes a lot more sense! When I kept reading about all these dongles having a max output of 2Vrms/4Vrms it didn’t make sense to me as i kept reading that various devices drain source batteries at different levels!

Thanks for the info on the 9038SG3; if it draws 90mA=0.45W, then that almost reaches the limitation of 100mA that Apple has on iPhones. This leads me to believe that this unit can achieve full power from an iPhone, whereas I have read that the P&L W2 can only reach around 70% from an iPhone so the W2 must draw more than their 9038SG3. So far I’m leaning towards the E1DA 9038SG3.

My next step is to find the draw of the HIDIZS S9 PRO, Tempotec Sonata E44, and DDHiFi TC44B.

Thanks again for all your help!
Jon

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks staticV3, that makes a lot more sense! When I kept reading about all these dongles having a max output of 2Vrms/4Vrms it didn’t make sense to me as i kept reading that various devices drain source batteries at different levels!

Thanks for the info on the 9038SG3; if it draws 90mA=0.45W, then that almost reaches the limitation of 100mA that Apple has on iPhones. This leads me to believe that this unit can achieve full power from an iPhone, whereas I have read that the P&L W2 can only reach around 70% from an iPhone so the W2 must draw more than their 9038SG3. So far I’m leaning towards the E1DA 9038SG3.

My next step is to find the draw of the HIDIZS S9 PRO, Tempotec Sonata E44, and DDHiFi TC44B.

Thanks again for all your help!
Jon
iPhones do not have a 100mA current limit.
image0.jpg

mslim

For the E!DA PowerDAC , is it possible to use a 2.5 balanced to XLR cable and connect this to a normal amps in order to make use of the PEG?

staticV3

Master Contributor
For the E!DA PowerDAC , is it possible to use a 2.5 balanced to XLR cable and connect this to a normal amps in order to make use of the PEG?
No. The Powerdac V2 and V2.1 can only safely be used with headphones and IEMs. Not with active componentry like external Amps or speakers.

jonathane40

Since I read that you might get hiss with sensitive IEMs, does anyone know if it’s safe to use the iFi Iematch 2.5 balanced adapter?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since I read that you might get hiss with sensitive IEMs, does anyone know if it’s safe to use the iFi Iematch 2.5 balanced adapter?
As long as you don't mess around with balanced to single ended and vice versa it should be safe. I have used both the IE Buddy and IEMatch

Palfim

I use a 9038SG3 and an old android phone , which only has about 2700mAh capacity and that lasts over 12 hours for normal 16/44.1 listening, with hardware volume almost at max.
So I don't think there is a significant difference in power consumption between the mentioned dongles, as I had several other dongles and never noticed much change, even between IEM and planar headphone use. Without any dongle my phone uses about 200mA idle with screen on, doing nothing. With a DAC/HPA dongle that goes up to about 300 to 320mA. Measured with both the e1da and tc44b, it just hovers around 300mA current draw, listening to tidal in offline mode.

jonathane40

I use a 9038SG3 and an old android phone , which only has about 2700mAh capacity and that lasts over 12 hours for normal 16/44.1 listening, with hardware volume almost at max.
So I don't think there is a significant difference in power consumption between the mentioned dongles, as I had several other dongles and never noticed much change, even between IEM and planar headphone use. Without any dongle my phone uses about 200mA idle with screen on, doing nothing. With a DAC/HPA dongle that goes up to about 300 to 320mA. Measured with both the e1da and tc44b, it just hovers around 300mA current draw, listening to tidal in offline mode.

Your point makes sense! However, I have seen video reviews and read reviews as well where they point out how much power devices like the W2 draw in comparison to say a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. Maybe all these (HIDIZS S9 PRO, Tempotec Sonata E44, and DDHiFi TC44B, and 9038SG3) draw a comparable amount of power and the W2 is the outlier drawing considerably more.

ceausuc

No. The Powerdac V2 and V2.1 can only safely be used with headphones and IEMs. Not with active componentry like external Amps or speakers.

do you know if 9038SG3 can instead be used with a 2.5 balanced to XLR cable ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
do you know if 9038SG3 can instead be used with a 2.5 balanced to XLR cable ?
A 2.5mm TRRS to 4pin XLR adapter is safe to use if you connect an XLR headphone to the 9038S using it.
A 2.5mm TRRS to 2x 3pin XLR adapter is only safe to use if the XLR Amp (or whatever component it is) is battery-powered.
Connect a mains-powered Amp or active speaker to the 9038S and you risk destroying the 9038S.
If you're looking for a dongle that you can also use as balanced DAC, then you need something with a 4.4mm headphone jack.
That one has an additional GND contact which enables safe operation in this config.

Here's a list of 4.4mm dongles:
L&P W1
Yinlvmei S3
Hilidac 2S
Lotoo Paw S1
iBasso DC04
DDHifi TC44B
Audirect Beam 2S

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I just ordered another 9038D and an S3 because I just love these devices and am too lazy to move them between living room and bedroom. For anyone considering buying (outside of china I guess) get them direct from the E1DA Aliexpress store https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5142044?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.42de4458irTcvk

I got both for around £140 and for reference , the Susumu 3000 S3 alone is selling via Linsoul's Amazon UK storefront for £114.

Thanks again @IVX and co for keeping making this stuff.

d2k5000

Has anybody ever had any problems with sudden loud screeching noise when using the 9028S? Seemed to be playing fine, and then the music suddenly stopped and started screeching. The sound was VERY loud, so I immediately disconnected the device. I have had this happen twice, with both my friends and my own 9038s. Both times it happened on a android galaxy phone. The latest was on a galaxy S20. The 9028S was the older silver version. Not sure if it was version 1 or 2.

My friend has had no problems on his phone with his 9038S, so I am not sure what is going on. I have been too scared to do further testing since I feel like I almost blew out my ears/headphones the first couple of times. The latest 9038S seems like the best option to drive hard to amp headphones portably, but I am worried I might have the same glitch. Maybe it is a firmwear/software glitch that has been fixed?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody ever had any problems with sudden loud screeching noise when using the 9028S? Seemed to be playing fine, and then the music suddenly stopped and started screeching. The sound was VERY loud, so I immediately disconnected the device. I have had this happen twice, with both my friends and my own 9038s. Both times it happened on a android galaxy phone. The latest was on a galaxy S20. The 9028S was the older silver version. Not sure if it was version 1 or 2.

My friend has had no problems on his phone with his 9038S, so I am not sure what is going on. I have been too scared to do further testing since I feel like I almost blew out my ears/headphones the first couple of times. The latest 9038S seems like the best option to drive hard to amp headphones portably, but I am worried I might have the same glitch. Maybe it is a firmwear/software glitch that has been fixed?
No. I've had the heartbeat like thumps on standby mode and obvious connection /removal noises when phones still in when disconnecting but never a screech. Perhaps @staticV3 or @IVX could suggest any similar known issues.

staticV3

Master Contributor

This is the result of a bug in the old cmedia USB bridge used in the PDv2, 9038S G1, and 9038S G2.
A sudden disconnect in the data connection, in combination with 5V power retention, will result in the DAC outputting white noise at 100% volume.
This can be triggered by wiggling the USB connector, dust or dirt inside the connector, or sometimes even by just sufficiently high levels of EMI.
Unfortunately, the bug was discovered only after production had started, and since cmedia was unable to provide a firmware fix, Ivan switched to a Comtrue USB bridge for all future products.
The new bridge does not have this problem.

As for your current G1/G2, all I can recommend is:
-clean all female USB jacks with isopropyl, a fine brush, and a camera duster
-make sure the USB cable you're using is properly shielded
-keep an eye on the E1DA AliExpress store as Ivan is working on a rubber sleeve that would reduce movement of and dust ingress into the USB connector
2021-08-28_00-53-48.jpg

Last edited:

d2k5000

This is the result of a bug in the old cmedia USB bridge used in the PDv2, 9038S G1, and 9038S G3.
A sudden disconnect in the data connection, in combination with 5V power retention, will result in the DAC outputting white noise at 100% volume.
This can be triggered by wiggling the USB connector, dust or dirt inside the connector, or sometimes even by just sufficiently high levels of EMI.
Unfortunately, the bug was discovered only after production had started, and since cmedia was unable to provide a firmware fix, Ivan switched to a Comtrue USB bridge for all future products.
The new bridge does not have this problem.

As for your current G1/G2, all I can recommend is:
-clean all female USB jacks with isopropyl, a fine brush, and a camera duster
-make sure the USB cable you're using is properly shielded
-keep an eye on the E1DA AliExpress store as Ivan is working on a rubber sleeve that would reduce movement of and dust ingress into the USB connector
Thanks for the Info. You mentioned that this was a problem on the 9038S gen 3. Does that mean that if I, if I ordered a new 9038sg3 susuma3000 edition from aliexpress, I still might have this problem? Or has it been fixed?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the Info. You mentioned that this was a problem on the 9038S gen 3. Does that mean that if I, if I ordered a new 9038sg3 susuma3000 edition from aliexpress, I still might have this problem? Or has it been fixed?
That was a typo. My bad. G1-2 used cmedia, G3 switched to Comtrue. I fixed my original post.

Top Bottom