• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @IVX I've ordered a 9038S G3 Susumu 3000. Given that modes from G2 are gone, I wonder if there a way to replicate the SE mode (longing for SE tube sound) maybe through the more advanced hardware options. A warmer tone might be a great alternative.
PS: my unit is arriving this or next week at most (ordered on March 29th from Canada).
Huge thanks!
The tweak9038 app let's you adjust the harmonic distortion levels amongst other things (£10 app) , so yes.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The tweak9038 app let's you adjust the harmonic distortion levels amongst other things (£10 app) , so yes.
I'm thinking he means, any advice/guidance to recreate those old modes, in preset(s).

Joseph Morin

I'm thinking he means, any advice/guidance to recreate those old modes, in preset(s).
That's it! the question is: is it possible to recreate the TUBE mode sound? that'd be awesome. I just got my E1DA 9038S today.

Dr. X

I think re-flashing it with a specific Firmware will do that. I tried it. Couldn't really tell a difference, but that's just me.

0RF30

That's it! the question is: is it possible to recreate the TUBE mode sound? that'd be awesome. I just got my E1DA 9038S today.

I think re-flashing it with a specific Firmware will do that. I tried it. Couldn't really tell a difference, but that's just me.

You can use the SE firmwares, or use the presets in the TWEAK9038 app (not sure you'll get what you want this way).

I think best way to add tube like disto is to play with the THD thing in the TWEAK9038 app (2nd and 3rd harmonic disto). You can ask how on E1DA discord channel, I don't use it myself.

Veri

Master Contributor
Question, the E1DA comes pre-calibrated right? If you flash other firmware to it OR use the tweak app for distortion etc, this calibration is lost? Or..
Edit: maybe I should have asked in the 9038d thread instead of 9038s... :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question, the E1DA comes pre-calibrated right? If you flash other firmware to it OR use the tweak app for distortion etc, this calibration is lost? Or..

Yes, but there is a factory reset in the app. Or do you mean each unit is individually set up? If so, how do I get mine back?!

0RF30

The answer will be the same for both. You can restore factory settings from the app. If you go without the app, you'll have to flash a "C" version of the firmware, you have a download link for all "C" version firmwares on E1DA website or on pined messages of the discord channel.

{EDIT] cross messages ;)
Yes, but there is a factory reset in the app. Or do you mean each unit is individually set up? If so, how do I get mine back?!

No, they're not. You may have different versions of the firmware depending on the production timeline of your unit (I'm not even sure), but the settings are the same on each unit (as far as I know). They're provided with 12Mhz linear phase slow filter firmware, which you should update to a "C" version if you're not using the app. If you use the app, you'll have to flash a specific firmware to do so.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
No, they're not. You may have different versions of the firmware depending on the production timeline of your unit (I'm not even sure), but the settings are the same on each unit (as far as I know). They're provided with 12Mhz linear phase slow filter firmware, which you should update to a "C" version if you're not using the app. If you use the app, you'll have to flash a specific firmware to do so.
Err, all right ;) I think I got it. Thanks.

WoodyLuvr

The hardware volume on the PDv2 is digital, so there's technically no difference between it and the volume slider inside music players or browsers (if implemented correctly).
Nonetheless, the PDv2.1 will use a new USB bridge and therefore will also have UAC2 HW volume which can be controlled from Windows, iOS, macOS, and from Android using UAPP or Hiby. It'll be a separate volume control from the one in HPToy.
So to be clear, when connected to my desktop PC, I can fully control PDv2.1's volume via WIN10 and/or Foobar correct?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So to be clear, when connected to my desktop PC, I can fully control PDv2.1's volume via WIN10 and/or Foobar correct?
When connected to your PC, foobar will control its own software volume, the native Windows 10 volume slider will control the 2.1's UAC2 hardware volume, and HPToy will control the 2.1's DSP chip volume.

WoodyLuvr

When connected to your PC, foobar will control its own software volume, the native Windows 10 volume slider will control the 2.1's UAC2 hardware volume, and HPToy will control the 2.1's DSP chip volume.
Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification. I just realized that HPToy can be downloaded and used on my PC. So no need for the Android app on my phone now.

0RF30

Gotcha! Thank you for the clarification. I just realized that HPToy can be downloaded and used on my PC. So no need for the Android app on my phone now.

Is there a windows version of hptoy (if so, could you please provide a download link), or are using an android emulator ?

staticV3

Master Contributor

jonathane40

Does the Linsoul E1DA 9038S Susumu 3000 Gen3 work with iPhone without the need of an external power bank? I also read that someone had trouble controlling volume on their iPhone with this amp/dac. Is this true?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the Linsoul E1DA 9038S Susumu 3000 Gen3 work with iPhone without the need of an external power bank? I also read that someone had trouble controlling volume on their iPhone with this amp/dac. Is this true?
Edit. I know nothing. See Statics post below

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 9038SG3 can most certainly be used with an iPhone w/o an external power bank.
However, Apple's "MFi" program has made powering USB accessories from your iPhone needlessly complex for the end user.
What is required is a Lightning to Type-C cable with an Apple chip inside, which tells the iPhone that it is safe to supply power to the connected device.
This type of cable is available from a variety of brands, however, different cables (and Apple chips) will unlock different amounts of maximum allowed current. Exceed that limit and your iPhone will throw a "The connected USB accessory requires too much power" error message.
What's more, the same exact USB cable plugged into different iPhone models can unlock different amounts of current.
And as if that wasn't enough, recent reports from E1DA customers indicate that Apple may out of nowhere change these current limits with an iOS update.

The best chance at getting a compatible USB cable is this spreadsheet I created with the help of E1DA's customers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Yqd7lpt3N2B0kVwzqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/edit?usp=sharing

As for the volume control thing, that was an issues exclusive to the 9038S G1 and G2.
You see, Apple thought it unnecessary to give iOS and macOS software volume control, which means that if you plug an external DAC into your iPhone, then the only way to retain volume control through your phone's buttons is if the DAC supports UAC2 Hardware volume control.
The G1 and G2 did not support this feature and so the volume was locked at 100%.
The G3 on the other hand supports UAC2 volume commands, and as a result, controlling volume is seamless.
FYI, Windows supports both software volume and UAC2 hardware volume, so if your DAC doesn't have UAC2, it'll just use software. With a UAC2 DAC, Windows will automatically switch to that type of control w/o the user ever noticing what's happening under the hood.
Android on the other hand only supports software volume control, so it doesn't matter if your DAC understands UAC2 commands.

Last edited:

jonathane40

The 9038SG3 can most certainly be used with an iPhone w/o an external power bank.
However, Apple's "MFi" program has made powering USB accessories from your iPhone needlessly complex for the end user.
What is required is a Lightning to Type-C cable with an Apple chip inside, which tells the iPhone that it is safe to supply power to the connected device.
This type of cable is available from a variety of brands, however, different cables (and Apple chips) will unlock different amounts of maximum allowed current. Exceed that limit and your iPhone will throw a "The connected USB accessory requires too much power" error message.
What's more, the same exact USB cable plugged into different iPhone models can unlock different amounts of current.
And as if that wasn't enough, recent reports from E1DA customers indicate that Apple may out of nowhere change these current limits with an iOS update.

The best chance at getting a compatible USB cable is this spreadsheet I created with the help of E1DA's customers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Yqd7lpt3N2B0kVwzqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/edit?usp=sharing

As for the volume control thing, that was an issues exclusive to the 9038S G1 and G2.
You see, Apple thought it unnecessary to give iOS and macOS software volume control, which means that if you plug an external DAC into your iPhone, then the only way to retain volume control through your phone's buttons is if the DAC supports UAC2 Hardware volume control.
The G1 and G2 did not support this feature and so the volume was locked at 100%.
The G3 on the other hand supports UAC2 volume commands, and as a result, controlling volume is seamless.
FYI, Windows supports both software volume and UAC2 hardware volume, so if your DAC doesn't have UAC2, it'll just use software. With a UAC2 DAC, Windows will automatically switch to that type of control w/o the user ever noticing what's happening under the hood.
Android on the other hand only supports software volume control, so it doesn't matter if your DAC understands UAC2 commands.

Thanks! I think I almost have all the info I need before choosing the dac/amp to use with my iPhone! The last thing I want to figure out is power consumption. Do you know how I could compare the power consumption between the Linsoul E1DA 9038S Susumu 3000 Gen3 (4 vrms), Luxury & Precision W2 (4 vrms), HIDIZS S9 PRO (4 vrms), Tempotec Sonata E44 (4 vrms), and DDHiFi TC44B (2 vrms)? They all seem to consume about 4 vrms except for the DDHiFi. Is this the figure that I need to look at in order to figure out which of these would drain my iPhone the quickest?

cheers,
Jon

Top Bottom