• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

chi2

Forum Donor
Which one for the HD 660S as it comes with balanced cable included, the E1DA 9038S or the E1DA 9038D?

Just in case you'd plan to use the 9038D with an iPhone, please be aware that it needs a separate usb power source to operate as it draws too much current. The 9038SG3 works just fine without.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I just built a 2.5 balanced cable for my HE-500, and the 9038S G3 drives them surprisingly well. Basically everything except for quiet classical music is plenty loud enough. The HE-500 has ~87 db/mW sensitivity at 38 Ohms, so very impressive for this small of a dac/amp.

Reactions: Tks

Palfim

I got my susumu 3k yesterday. Awesome build quality and it's even smaller than the fotos suggest.
It's easy to set up, just kind of plug and play , no more dev options settings everytime I want to listen to something !
But I think I don't get to whole current from it, it's rated at 340mW @ 32 ohm , but the qudelix 5k which is rated 240 mW @ 32 ohm plays quite a bit louder , up to ear deafening levels with my Ananda or hd660s.
But from the specs the e1da should be louder .
The Ananda is supposed to be easy to drive but I need the slider on -2db at least to get it loud.
And the Ananda had 25 ohm and 103sb sensitivity, so It should even need the higher volts from the q5 , it just needs alot of mW of which the e1da has 100 more of , but alas the qudelix is more powerful , tested in usb mode, where it only uses power from the phone's usb and not the build-in Battery....so both devices are driven from my note 8, same usb port and headphones and cables...but the e1da is just alot quieter..
Is there some settings I missed ? Or a fault with my unit It barely drives my hd660S, it's only loud enough on the highest setting . (Otherwise it sounds great with the right headphones) . On q5 again it's much louder, slider on 70,% gets me deaf in 10 seconds .
Btw I use eq with a headroom of -14db , was using exact same settings and hardware, both Amps were running from note 8 only on usb power , no battery used in q5 usb mode.
What am I doing wrong ? Amir has tested both devices with the e1da measuring more powerful, too !
I want that extra 100 mW

0RF30

I got my susumu 3k yesterday. Awesome build quality and it's even smaller than the fotos suggest.
It's easy to set up, just kind of plug and play , no more dev options settings everytime I want to listen to something !
But I think I don't get to whole current from it, it's rated at 340mW @ 32 ohm , but the qudelix 5k which is rated 240 mW @ 32 ohm plays quite a bit louder , up to ear deafening levels with my Ananda or hd660s.
But from the specs the e1da should be louder .
The Ananda is supposed to be easy to drive but I need the slider on -2db at least to get it loud.
And the Ananda had 25 ohm and 103sb sensitivity, so It should even need the higher volts from the q5 , it just needs alot of mW of which the e1da has 100 more of , but alas the qudelix is more powerful , tested in usb mode, where it only uses power from the phone's usb and not the build-in Battery....so both devices are driven from my note 8, same usb port and headphones and cables...but the e1da is just alot quieter..
Is there some settings I missed ? Or a fault with my unit It barely drives my hd660S, it's only loud enough on the highest setting . (Otherwise it sounds great with the right headphones) . On q5 again it's much louder, slider on 70,% gets me deaf in 10 seconds .
Btw I use eq with a headroom of -14db , was using exact same settings and hardware, both Amps were running from note 8 only on usb power , no battery used in q5 usb mode.
What am I doing wrong ? Amir has tested both devices with the e1da measuring more powerful, too !
I want that extra 100 mW

You should have absolutely no problem driving HD660s more than loud enough with 9038S, even with a strongly preamped EQ.

Are you using UAPP ? In hardware volume control, left/right volume control may not be maxed out, so master volume when maxed isn't really at full. You have to check it. It happened to me once or twice first time I was using a new DAC. That's a first lead.

Do you use the "tweak9038" app ? If yes make sure the volume slider is all the way up and you don't have set a max volume limit (0,0dB must be displayed upside max). Second lead.

Did you try the dongle on a computer ? Same results ?

Last edited:

Palfim

Thanks alot 0RF30 , I will try all these out when I get home from work! I was infact using uapp for a short time to circumvent android drivers. Don't have a pc until the weekend but I will test my old LG G6 tonight. Sorry I should have really at least tested another phone, silly me! Btw the sound starts at about 50 % of the volume slider, anymore to the left and it's completely silent.

I love the e1da otherwise, I'm not very good at comparing sound sources , but so far it sounds fantastic compared to my other amps...it's the first time for me having a dac/amp with such great measurements, that's why I went for the susumu 3000, to get the absolut best parts and I don't get any IEM hiss or LTE noise, the device is completely transparent with a silent black background, on all my 3 IEMs.

Thanks again, off to resolving the volume thing now.

Palfim

Well, after a long night of trial and error, I found out that the european exynos variants imposed a volume limit (by law) which I thought I already had shut down.
But I had to edit a .XML file to truly raise the volume, the e1da is even better now
Actually if I raise the volume with the qudelix to that of the e1da max. vol I get audible distortion ! (approprite headroom included) And it's not even maxed it , about 3.3 volt rms of 4 volt rms
On e1da it sounds clean all the way up. Of course at this volume it's not that relevant because noone listens that loud, but I think it sounds cleaner on lower listening levels , too. And I get no hiss, noise, LTE noise or any of that sort. But the usable volume is actually higher on my e1da. For quality comparisons like low distortion I'd have to do a blind test, except at very high levels where I actually hear the distortion on q5.

So now I use the susumu 3k if I really want to listen intensely to music, and the qudelix on bt if I need to move around.
Btw all the tweaking made the EU note 8 with it's Cirrus DAC actually very good, just doesn't get loud enough for bigger headphones, and I don't want to go back to unbalanced. I know, stupid

dvdblaster

Question about the E1DA 9038S, will it function as a DAC connected to a dedicated headphone amp? I'm planning to connect it to a Topping L30 via 2.5mm to rca cables. Does that make sense or is that not advisable due to double amping?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about the E1DA 9038S, will it function as a DAC connected to a dedicated headphone amp? I'm planning to connect it to a Topping L30 via 2.5mm to rca cables. Does that make sense or is that not advisable due to double amping?

Its not advisable due to running a balanced source into a single ended amp. Get the 9038D and you have a functioning unit.

*dont do it

DeepSpace57

yes you can !!! There is one way to do this!!

USE YOUR PHONE (not being charged) > 9038s > 2.5mm to 2 XLRs or 2RCAs (cable) > your amp

Veri

Master Contributor
Like Jim said, only the 9038d is meant to be used as a DAC too.

DeepSpace57

Take my words. The only problem is Ground issue. If you use your phone whether iPhone or Android based ones and your phone is not charged at the time when you use it as dac, 9038s will function without any issue. Join Discord community of Ivan who is the designer of all E1DAs. It is so solid that you will find many right answers by StaticV3 and Ivan himself.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Take my words. The only problem is Ground issue. If you use your phone whether iPhone or Android based ones and your phone is not charged at the time when you use it as dac, 9038s will function without any issue. Join Discuss community of Ivan who is the designer of all E1DAs. It is so solid that you will find many right answers by StaticV3 and Ivan himself.

@IVX is this right, no problems running a 9038S into a single ended amp? I thought that was a no no?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Of course, it possible to use with amp and even unbalanced input one but need to remember a few facts:
1) do not short any of 4 output-wires(2.5mm jack has 4 pins, right?) to each other or to GND
2) avoid GND currents i.e. tie GND of the amp to GND(get that from USB cable) of 9038S before turn On the DAC, or use ONLY battery-powered USB source(phone)
3) please remember, I have about 10pcs 9038S burned by users who ignore points 1) and 2)

Straz

First post, the 9038S seems to overwhelmingly be the best choice for me. Or possibly the 9038D? However is the background hiss issue mentioned in another review just an isolated case?

I have a pair Sennheiser HD560S's, they have a 2.5mm balanced input. If I was to get the 9038S, would I just need a 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male balanced cable? If they exist that is, haven't come across one.

Veri

Master Contributor
First post, the 9038S seems to overwhelmingly be the best choice for me. Or possibly the 9038D? However is the background hiss issue mentioned in another review just an isolated case?

I have a pair Sennheiser HD560S's, they have a 2.5mm balanced input. If I was to get the 9038S, would I just need a 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male balanced cable? If they exist that is, haven't come across one.
Sure, this will work on the cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075C9HXW5/
The 9038D is a good pick if you want compatibility with 3.5mm earphones/headphones though :)

0RF30

Does this mean that any present powerdac V2 would be able to play on unbalanced headphones with new firmware?
Thanks

I don't think so, it'll be an hardware modification if my understanding is correct. Ivan just meant hardware is ready, he just wait for the HPtoy app developer to adjust it to the new hardware (SE/BAL will be switchable in the app if I remember).

alfredinho

I don't think so, it'll be an hardware modification if my understanding is correct. Ivan just meant hardware is ready, he just wait for the HPtoy app developer to adjust it to the new hardware (SE/BAL will be switchable in the app if I remember).
Ok, but it would be able to play normal single ended 3.5mm headphones with adapter, I understand

Joseph Morin

Hi @IVX I've ordered a 9038S G3 Susumu 3000. Given that modes from G2 are gone, I wonder if there a way to replicate the SE mode (longing for SE tube sound) maybe through the more advanced hardware options. A warmer tone might be a great alternative.
PS: my unit is arriving this or next week at most (ordered on March 29th from Canada).
Huge thanks!

Top Bottom