• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am really looking forward to hearing the difference. Although truth be told I am shocked how awesome the G3 is. I am using it as my main DAC just now in front of my SP200. I sold my iFi Zen Dac and Topping D50S as frankly I do not need them and the G3 is so compact I have velcro'd it and the SP200 to the bottom of my desk to save space.

I am am long time lurker on these forums but just joined to say thanks for this awesome product.

From an engineering point of view, would you expect the changes on the susumu version to become more apparent under load or when used as balanced DAC?

I am going to use one for the desk setup and the other for my lazing around and walking setup and would be interested to hear your thoughts and expectations.
Hopefully you know that using the 9038S as a standalone DAC is only safe if you have a very special cable which taps into the USB cable ground.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
TheCatnipMouse
Susumu is 0.1% tolerance resistors, and for example, a few days ago I prepared 4pcs Sus3000 edition units, all of them had exactly the same level of 2nd and third harmonics(-130db) like twins. Never saw such with "normal" resistors(including thin-film but tried not much) before.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am also curious to hear views from experienced audiophiles

Off topic - I miss being on Discord, but I am not a chat person at all (deleted my Whatssapp account and never had an FB account). You were (and are) one of the most helpful people around. Thanks for that.
I'm super happy to hear that! Glad that I can help!

D

Deleted member 18627

Hopefully you know that using the 9038S as a standalone DAC is only safe if you have a very special cable which taps into the USB cable ground.
Thank you! I have to be honest I had not appreciated that. I searched the thread and found this reply that you made to another on this matter. I will do some reading and get my soldering iron out this weekend. In the meantime, I am having an iem day so will use the G3 solo. I wonder, as the SP200 is not truly balanced would this issue still present itself?

I am using a 2.5mm TRRS to two 3pin XLR cable from the G3 to the SP200.

Last edited by a moderator:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you! I have to be honest I had not appreciated that. I searched the thread and found this reply that you made to another on this matter. I will do some reading and get my soldering iron out this weekend. In the meantime, I am having an item day so will use the G3 solo. I wonder, as the SP200 is not truly balanced would this issue still present itself?

I am using a 2.5mm TRRS to two 3pin XLR cable from the G3 to the SP200.
I thought so. Two active audio components must share the same ground for safe operation. Normally, Pin 1 on the XLR plug is used to ground a balanced DAC to the Amp, but since the 9038S doesn't have a ground output, your adapter will simply leave that pin unconnected.
Ergo, this is yet another case of: just because an adapter exists, doesn't mean that it's safe to use it. Same deal with the 2.5m to 3.5f adapter.

D

Deleted member 18627

I thought so. Two active audio components must share the same ground for safe operation. Normally, Pin 1 on the XLR plug is used to ground a balanced DAC to the Amp, but since the 9038S doesn't have a ground output, your adapter will simply leave that pin unconnected.
Ergo, this is yet another case of: just because an adapter exists, doesn't mean that it's safe to use it. Same deal with the 2.5m to 3.5f adapter.
Thank you for sharing this information in such an open and discussional manner. I will do the necessary before I connect it to the SP200 again.

D

Deleted member 18627

Yeah, its that good. I had the same thought - give away my amp and DAP. I also realized that HPs count too. Not very good HPs do affect the sound, proportionately. The vocals were a bit off in a new 2.5 mm jack IEM that I bought. 6xx + 9038S was a match god made in heaven.
In E1DA products (I have PDv2 too), I see a high commitment to quality and customer-focus, and transparent communication.
BTW, I was a lurker like you for many months :).
I try to avoid creating more reasons to not interact with people in real life. I am a work from home programmer and while I spend my free time with wife and young kids I would just as happily remain in isolation from the real world. This kind of binary interaction is just easier for my binary brain. Thanks for the kind welcome. I look forward to chatting with you all more.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 18627

Yeah, its that good. I had the same thought - give away my amp and DAP. I also realized that HPs count too. Not very good HPs do affect the sound, proportionately. The vocals were a bit off in a new 2.5 mm jack IEM that I bought. 6xx + 9038S was a match god made in heaven.
In E1DA products (I have PDv2 too), I see a high commitment to quality and customer-focus, and transparent communication.
BTW, I was a lurker like you for many months :).
Wow, after reading your message I plugged in my 600 ohm HD540. Cannot A B with the SP200 until I sort the ground on pin 3 issue. But they don't feel underpowered for sure. This hobby is full of surprises.

Veri

Master Contributor
TheCatnipMouse
Susumu is 0.1% tolerance resistors, and for example, a few days ago I prepared 4pcs Sus3000 edition units, all of them had exactly the same level of 2nd and third harmonics(-130db) like twins. Never saw such with "normal" resistors(including thin-film but tried not much) before.
Cool!! Will that make it to production version?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cat Music
depends on your individual sensitivity as well.
Jimbob54
I remember a ridiculous case when we returned money for 9038SG3 to Korea because the user didn't find the way to control the volume on his Linux computer. He did start Aliexpress dispute and Aliexpress officer decided that it is my problem. Another user from Europe told me that he did solve Linux volume control "problem" by manual editing some sys-config file.

Ill happily road test a pre-release sample on the streets of Manchester, UK using 4G and 3G if you like. PM if a useful suggestion. Have some pretty sensitive IEM 120dB/mw and some less so (eg Ety ER2SE)

holicst

Is it possible to use an iem cable with a mic (used with an android device/windiws pc) with this, and use the microphone? Maybe with the upcoming SE version?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you have any plans to add it in an upcoming generation? Would it degrade sound quality, cost a lot or require a lot of engineering work? Or simply there is no demand for this?
cost, size, power consumption, complexity

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
cost, size, power consumption, complexity
And yet Tempotec managed to squeeze DAC and ADC into this with quite decent performance (SNR/DR 114dB).
I am sure you can do it too and even better. :)
Tempotec Sonata HD.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
Downsides of this approach?
Performance of that chip not matching the 9038q2m like the e1da. It is more general purpose rather that 'ultimate audiophile' :D

D

Deleted member 18627

And yet Tempotec managed to squeeze DAC and ADC into this with quite decent performance (SNR/DR 114dB).
I am sure you can do it too and even better. :)
View attachment 77045
I have the hidizs version of this. If not mistaken when you flash the pure music (or whatever it's called) firmware to get those stats it drops the mic support. I haven't used mine for some time so I may be incorrect.

Top Bottom